CAPS sooperthread

haunts

Yeah i guess what i was trying to say was that beginners shouldnt worry so much about what caps to use for what, and just focus on gaining skill with the can- and with their sketches of course. Thats why i advised just using the free stock caps. Although I get what youre saying about using thins, especially when doing quality pieces.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if it helps someone out I will break down what I use different caps for.

german thins - outlines specifically with krylon. That is the only kind pf paint I use with these caps.

rusto fats - they work on pretty much everything...I use them for bombing, tags and large parts of fill ins or in the rare case that I do line work with rusto paint due to the fact that they do not get the infamous rusto stutter.

krylon stock caps - fades pretty much with gloss colors for shading and effect on charaters and letters.

these are the only three caps I really use other than the occaisionally ny fat or german fat for bombing which is ararity for me anymore.

as far as I am concerned if you are doing peices these are the only caps you really need. If you don't like my advice then don't fallow it, its just what works best for me and my style of painting.

*edit:

if you are new to writing and you are wanting to develop can control pretty much what I did was paint with nothing but rusto fats for everything so that if I fucked up in the slightest my lines would drip. It pretty much taught me can control through trial and error and now it that I have moved on to more technical stuff other than just simple color fills and outlines its helped alot with can control.

nah son, that aint a cap on a spray can, sunset uses those plant fertilizer spray things, and puts paint in em.

Originally posted by master bait@Mar 15 2005, 11:03 AM

one "euro" cap I recently found and think some people might like was called "level 5". it's extremely fat and high pressure... I think you can see it happen here:

http://www.90bpm.net/temp/boardpix/sunset.mov

Originally posted by iloveyoursister+Mar 16 2005, 07:31 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (iloveyoursister - Mar 16 2005, 07:31 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-timebomb@Mar 16 2005, 11:13 AM

i have a shitload of these caps...what are they?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/volcomikey/capss.bmp

The grey one is the stock cap that comes with german montana

and I think the black one is the stock cap that comes with belton.

[/b]

depends on where you order form actually

the grey is a german outline 1.

the black is a thin cap

There seriously needs to be some kind of chart that shows every kind of cap and what paints they work with.

These euro caps are kinda finnicky. But I guess that's what you get with specialty caps. Very specific stuff. Knowing caps is becoming some kind of science.

NY and Rusto and German outlines seem to be the most versatile caps.

Originally posted by tré+Mar 18 2005, 06:45 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tré - Mar 18 2005, 06:45 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>nah son, that aint a cap on a spray can, sunset uses those plant fertilizer spray things, and puts paint in em.

<!--QuoteBegin-master bait@Mar 15 2005, 11:03 AM

one "euro" cap I recently found and think some people might like was called "level 5". it's extremely fat and high pressure... I think you can see it happen here:

[/b]

you're joking right? I know it comes out that big if you know how to use it..I've done it

Originally posted by sMaLLzOnE+Mar 19 2005, 10:48 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sMaLLzOnE - Mar 19 2005, 10:48 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by tré@Mar 18 2005, 06:45 PM

nah son, that aint a cap on a spray can, sunset uses those plant fertilizer spray things, and puts paint in em.

<!--QuoteBegin-master bait@Mar 15 2005, 11:03 AM

you're joking right? I know it comes out that big if you know how to use it..I've done it

[/b]

he's definitely not joking. if you actually look at the movie, you can see that sunset is holding a tank in his left hand connected to a tube thats connected to the thing that sunset is spraying with..

i hope i helped a little..

all the levels in a cap yall talkin about is actually meant for Montana Gold. Level 1-5. You can have both low pressure and high pressure in a can. The gold cap wit the black dot is the fattest cap ya can find, at least for now. The grey 'stock' tip that comes with montana(spanish or both i think) is the best for me. i mean, ya only need that to colour, fade, outline, everythin. but of coz if ya wana work faster, get the pink dot. white cap wit a pink dot. shit is pretty fat.. wors on all montana i guess.. and like wat they said, theres always the good old ny rustos caps... :)

The only thing i can add is that there's two kinds of german thins these days. Back before euro paint hit the states, we had the plain old grey or white german thins, the ones like this.....

gray.blackdot.jpg yellowdot.jpg greycap_t.jpg

Good caps, tried and true. I prefer NY Thins because of availability, but they're nice to have at night for trains or whatever, because you can easily tell them apart from rusto fats just by size. Trying to find a NY thin amongst a handful of NY and rusto fats is pretty damn hard at night. The other colors are exactly the same.

Then these started to be marketed as German Thins....

german-outline2.jpg

Good caps, but if you put them on anything besides european paint, they will spray like a fat. Especially with Krylon. They also don't fit the valve system that rusto uses, and leak the same as german fats and NY fats.

pink-dots.jpggermanfat.jpg

More or less, I think pink and orange dot german fats are bullshit. I've seen them called silent fats, euro fat caps, hooded fats, etc. Unless you're using them with euro paint, they spray messy, fuzzy and sloppy. If you do tags or fills with euro paint, you're richer than I am. A NY fat sprays just about as wide and a hell of a lot cleaner. Unless you make a habit of doing clean train wholecars, I don't think these are necessary.

silverfat.jpg

I've never seen one of these, so i can't comment. I'd bet it's basically another version of the german fat/pink dot thing.

black.jpg goldcap_t.jpg blackdot_t.jpg bluedot.jpg

These all spray basically the same. Pretty skinny, a little smaller than a NY thin or German Thin. Gold dots are ok, but if you're going to spend some money, you may as well get grey dots.

bluedot_t.jpg

These are kind of medium. A little thicker than a NY thin, but not enough to go out and buy a handful. They used to make a version of these where the blue center was slightly recessed, and it had a little lip around the center, and they sprayed so slow and smooth. Great for blends.

Hooded caps are any caps that cover the entire valve area of the spray can. All the caps pictured here are hooded caps. Rusto fats, NY thins and NY fats are not hooded.

There's a whole slew of hooded caps that look the same as the pink and orange dot fats, except they have a yellow, blue, green, aqua, etc center. They all spray basically the same. Sometimes they're called soft caps. To translate, "soft cap" is a term shops use to get you to buy stock caps. They spray a bit bigger and heavier than your average red stock, but why on earth would you spend money on a cap that already comes with your can? Some of the blue, yellow, brown, etc caps actually spray a nice clean line, but I don't think they're all that useful.

greydot_t.jpg

The only cap that's come along in recent times that I think is great and beneficial is the grey dot. I've seen ones that are one solid piece, they're ok, but the really good ones have a clear plastic stem that you can remove. The stem doesn't have a slit in it like most caps, but rather a small hole. The benefit to this is that much less paint comes through the cap, actually allowing for really skinny lines. They also spray very lightly and have a bit of fuzziness, so they're great for tight shading and misting. The only problem is that grey dots clog really fast, especially if you switch between Krylon and Belton. Usually the problem is the little hole in the stem getting clogged, and you can clean it out with a safety pin or needle. I used to pick up piles of those caps at the fame walls around here, pull out the stem, soak them in xylol over night and have a whole pile of brand new grey dots to use. Kids would use 3-4 grey dots to outline one piece.

Ok. here's my thoughts about those caps. Might clear something, or confuse some more but anyway...a spanish montana viewpoint.

gray.blackdot.jpg yellowdot.jpg greycap_t.jpg

aside from the grey dot (that I've never seen before) very nice thin and smooth cap. heard them being called bananas and german skins. they dont fit to the alien or pocket cans by the same manufacturer. pretty good for anything except large fills if you don't have hours to spend on it.

black.jpg

I heard these were called "pro-skin"

these are ok, smooth but not as skinny and hard line as the bananas above. they give you round, soft line, but not as soft as soft caps...

that are seen here.

bluedot.jpg

soft, fat and low pressure cap. one of my favorites... if someone tries to sell you something else as soft caps, don't buy... never seen any other color scheme on soft caps but this: grey, blue dot - just like pictured above. don't know about krylon stock caps or whatever but softs are SMOOTH and really useful. oddly enough, this is pretty much what old growth said about the "medium" cap. I still wouldn't wonder if shops and manufacturers would like to sell all kinds of fancy caps and cap cleaning solvents and whatever to get that dime.

silverfat.jpg

I don't know what this is called but it's basically a pink dot. fat and high pressure... nothing special.

gold skinny.this is the other part where I disagree with old growth.

goldcap_t.jpg

the pic wont show the stem, but the dot tells me it's the same ones I've got: you can barely see the hole in the dot. the stem is exactly what old growth describes about the grey dot (never seen one myself). super skinny, removable transparent plastic stem without a slit. And they clog easily. With spanish montana you can use the cap for one line and the second time it'll probably get clogged. guess they're better for less thick and opaque paint.

that's all I can say about these caps at the moment

Originally posted by ONEder@Apr 3 2005, 08:36 PM

i'm also gonna agree with the last two posts. but i think toys should pick up a few caps to expiriment with. my girl who's just starting out is a hell of alot better with rustofats then stocks, but to each there own

Yeah it's good to mess around with different caps, but like, the first time you go out don't just use a german outline and not make an attempt to learn stocks first. I remember I bombed with stocks for about a year, meanwhile I was developing my style, and the first peice I did came out real nice. Wish I had a flick. Oh and also, the first time you go out for those who may not have painted yet, don't blow all your money on montana, and do some whack shit and have wasted your money, start with rustoleum or krylon, personaly it only makes sense to use montana for peiceing, their like 8 bucks a can here.

Originally posted by master bait@Mar 15 2005, 12:03 PM

thats is the craziest shit ever, you'de definately bee seen using it though :yuck:

• 3 weeks later...

all these caps kinda got me confused, especially because i think im using euro paints due to me not living in the states.

whats some good threads to read about painting pieces, my skills are basic when it comes to designing pieces, however after looking at my local talent i can say its proberly running average.

i can design on paper, and ocme up with some nice pieces, however when i try and recreate it on a wall and it is a mess, with runs and messy sprays .. basically the only way i cna get a 'ok' line is basically run the can along the wall liek a marker.

mind you in using the stock standard caps that come with a can, dunno what you guys call them.

what do you think i should use to start off with, i guess i would be after an 'outline cap'

but how do i choose which outline cap is best for me?