CAPS sooperthread

haunts

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NY caps should be called NY caps everywhere in the world. they're the small ones that have the "pipe" visible.

In other words, they are not "HOODED".

HOODED caps are like every cap pictured on this page.

here is a hooded cap. you can't see the pipe from this angle.

pink-dots.jpg

this one is called PINK FAT because it sprays fat and the "dot" is pink.

So... NY thin is a NOT-HOODED cap that sprays thin lines.

Anyway your problem isn't the caps. I think it's because you have poor quality paint or you hold the can too far away from the wall. you also have to practice, practice, practice... good luck.

I tried reading through most of this thread, but I'm not really sure anymore at this point what the exact point of it was. My take on caps is this: The best thing you can do for yourself when you're starting out(if you're in north america) is to find a couple ny thins and rusto fats in a craft store. Paint with those caps for awhile, and when I say those caps, I mean those specific caps, don't reup on them. Try to keep them clean after each use, and if they start to clog, dont toss em, see what tricks you can do with a slightly clogged cap, and then find ways to clean them back to normal again. This will help you out more in the long run than anything else, in terms of figuring out finger pressure, line widths and the distance you hold the can from the wall, cutting, etc. etc. Knowing just the basics of how to handle paint with these caps will make it quite easier when you want to experiment. Then as you go on try out some other caps a couple at a time and find your own personal likes and rhythms from there. If you got every kind of cap at once, or if you just followed the advice of people on a message board about strange caps, you're never going to find your own personal likes and dislikes for how you paint.

I personally own a shitload of different caps, mostly for the novelty than anything else, but I pretty much stick to a standard pattern of what I've found I like. Besides, which is the more satisfying feeling- following something off a message board or getting the "Oh, word?" when someone sees you're doing something unique that you figured out?

oh, ps, if i lived outside north america I'd probably just continuously paint with montana and the fattest fat cap i could find. Cause that shit is fun, sayyesyessayword.

i just stick with german outlines 2 (grey cap, black dot) and german fats (white cap, orange dot). the german outlines 2 lay down great lines. nice and thin and real consistant. i've heard the german outlines 2 called a bunch of different things, thats what bombing science calls them and thats the name me and my crew have always used. those caps have always been good to me. they act up with rusto sometimes but i mainly use krylon. krylon is the cheapest and easiest to come by around here. they also clog pretty quick.

whatch out for that rusto though. i went to throw up a nice big bomb the other day and used a german fat on my can of rusto and as soon as i started painting blue paint shot out from under the cap and was pouring down the can, all over my hand and made a mess of the ground.

Originally posted by symbols@Mar 17 2005, 03:41 PM

stocks will make your piece look unclean yes.

but it's good to at least be able to use them.

and they are good to fill in with if you don't have any fats.

ok pussies.

i'm done with this thread.

thats it right there. not to use stocks all the time, whats the point when there is ny thins and outline2's and such. Being a well rounded writer and having the ability to use everything you come across is never a bad thing.

Im an ny thin kind a guy, and blackdots sometimes. outlines (which spray about the same line as an ny thin) too. But that dont mean i have never used stocks, or will never use them again.

• 2 weeks later...

ye the lite grey cap with a baby blue dot is a nice allround size, n dusnt get clogged up 2 east with montana hardcore, dont know really about other paints, still using a reliable fat like that and the cap you get on tins which is usually fairly skinny is good ofr me, for a bit of difference obviously hold the tin closer or further from the wall.

what is a good cap that sprays soft and skinny on krylon or rusto???blue dot maybe? or can you just let some of the air pressure out of the can...

their is a cap , it looks like a german fatcap thats not hooded on airplane cleaner shit at wal mart by the automotive paint section.... its a new york fat cap that sprays a little harder... good cap to use for quick stuff.

I use stock caps only because I can't find the time or money to buy other ones. I've experimented with the stock caps a lot on my free time. If you get really close to the wall, you'll get a pretty decent clean line, you'll have to move your hand pretty fast to or it'll drip. The Krylons made a nice thin line while the rusto's make wider lines and they shoot a lot more paint(from what it looked like). Basically you need to experiment with them.

Originally posted by Von schnabel@Mar 16 2005, 01:39 PM

Stockcaps=caps that comes with the can?

if so.

I never ever heard anyone ever talk about using stockcaps in europe. Long before you could buy caps at stores and even before you could buy caps from a friends friends friend who knew someone, people didnt use stockcaps, they racked better caps from other cans. Because face it stockcaps are usually only good for one thing and that is they dont clog.

I USED TO USE STOCK CAPS BCUZ I HAD A WAY OF CUTTING THEM TO BE SKINNIES BUT I FORGOT HOW I CUT THEM

Originally posted by tré+Mar 18 2005, 05:45 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tré - Mar 18 2005, 05:45 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>nah son, that aint a cap on a spray can, sunset uses those plant fertilizer spray things, and puts paint in em.

<!--QuoteBegin-master bait@Mar 15 2005, 11:03 AM

one "euro" cap I recently found and think some people might like was called "level 5". it's extremely fat and high pressure... I think you can see it happen here:

http://www.90bpm.net/temp/boardpix/sunset.mov

[/b]

IF IT IS A LAWN FERTALIZER,THAT IS A GOOD FUCKIN IDEA CUZ THAT SHIT WUZ SICK AS HELL

Originally posted by seeking@Mar 23 2005, 12:13 PM

ugh. just learn how to fucking paint.

christ.

^I'm with this guy. But I'm going to have to say that gold dots are shit. It keeps on spraying after you left go. Which is fucking awkward to me. I like the ... german... orange dot thing for fills. God damn. But yeah, ny fats, ny thins, stock caps, and orange dots.

I'm thinking of getting a pink dot for bombing. Ny fats and orange fots aren't quite cutting it for me.

i'm still not clear on the difference between the two kinds of ny thins. i remember i used to get them off testors paint that i racked from the hobby store. then from soho down & under, then flashbacks. then i started using german thins in the mid 90's and stopped using ny thins, then i get some more new york thins recently from 4 the hardway and i never noticed a difference. but i may not have been paying a lot of attention, especially in the early 90's when i was a toy and didn't know anything.

is one kind of NY thin is skinnier? did one originally come from testors and one from liquitex spray adhesive or did both these products have the same caps or what? was the old liqutex cap even a real ny thin is was it one of those stock tips that has a semi flare effect?

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by sMaLLzOnE@Mar 15 2005, 04:10 PM

You can cop those at scrapyard if you live in nyc, level 5's they're a gold cap with a black dot. They only work like that on montanas though

They work on Krylon, but they drip. In this day and age who doesn't wear gloves when they paint, though? Personally I never used one - but I hear they are "no joke" 10 fingers.

i had a feild day modifying a bunch of montana caps a little while ago...

i wonder if there are diagrams of all these caps online somplace..

other than that i stick with modified stocks or just plain stocks..and ny thins&fats..oh and caligrafy tips..the black part slapped in a ny thin is beutiful..nice ghosting/fade effects...

i only read the first page so uh