RIP Patrick Elasik

Devilush

Article

Mag publisher electrocuted by third rail

BY OREN YANIV

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

A promising young magazine entrepreneur was electrocuted early yesterday while walking across the G train subway tracks from one platform to another, police said.

The body of Patrick Elasik, 26, of Far Rockaway, was found at 1:35 a.m., lying across the third rail at the Nassau Ave. station in Greenpoint.

Elasik was the co-founder and co-owner of Mass Appeal Magazine, a bimonthly urban lifestyle publication based in Brooklyn.

He was on his way home from a friend's birthday party when he entered the station from the wrong side, said his longtime business partner, Adrian Moeller.

Because changing platforms required leaving and reentering the station, he apparently decided to simply cross to the other side - but touched the electrified rail and died.

"He ran through the tracks and got killed," Moeller said. "It was an unfortunate accident."

Moeller and Elasik moved here from the Washington area in 1996 and opened the magazine, which chronicles graffiti art, urban music and hip fashion. The magazine has a circulation of about 100,000.

"Things were going really great for him," Moeller said. "He had a great heart; there's not a bad bone in his body."

An avid surfer, Elasik recently bought a house near the boardwalk in Far Rockaway, where he lived and took on the waves for years.

"He loved New York and just enjoyed life," his father, Ronald Elasik, said in a phone interview from McLean, Va. "It's devastating, just devastating."

Elasik's death was ruled an accidental electrocution by the medical examiner. His body will be flown today to Virginia. He was survived by his parents and a 19-year-old sister.

At the magazine's Fort Greene, Brooklyn, office, employees mourned the sudden loss of a successful entrepreneur.

"It's hard for everybody," Moeller said.

RIP

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the first time we met... High and Sire were in my face threatining to kick my ass if i didn't take care of a couple boys in my crew... Sire and High told me that in a matter of weeks they could have everything I ever did on a freight gone over... and I was shook! All the while Jet stood around patiently and listened, probably laughing... It took a while to become friends with your crowd but then it was allways fun to bump into you... first in Portland then in Atlanta then in LA where I put on a little entertainment for Sire and Adrian by getting my ass kicked by undercovewrs and hauled off to jail, and finally in New York.... Pat you are a great guy and I will allways remember that night in LA gettin wasted and arrested, say Hi to Bore for me... My condolences to Pats family crew and friends...

REST IN PEACE "SIRE"

VICIOUS/DETR

Pat,

You were a character, thats for sure... Sire really did a number on the streets of DC back in the mid 90's, fucking wrecked it..

I remember telling High once a long time ago I couldnt hang out with Pat cause he was too much of a loose cannon, then we got to kick it one night and I was like hell yeah, I like this mother fucker, cool guy..

Last time I saw pat we did a end 2 end fr8 car in the East Bay...

RIP Homie,

*AMF*

it wasn't the prettiest, but sire and stren just would not stop bombing D>C> ... i was a big fan.

sire definitely accomplished so much in his short life, i had no idea he was so young, that means he must've been 14-16 when he was kinging d.c. one of the few writers who managed to make graffiti into a livelihood and represent the lifestyle to the rest of our generation.

RIP man.

stay up.

In the early 90's most of the lines were clean and bare. A few were common catches on the lines, Sug, Fate, High, Jase, Kaps, Pre and Sire. Yes Sire, I think i caught more of his between 94-97 than anyone else. That what I am talking about being up in a game at a time when not many were really up. Never knew Pat personally but knew of him through the (N)ATIONWIDE brotherhood, RELAX IN PARADISE my ACTION MAKE FAME FAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by southrngent@Apr 5 2005, 08:45 AM

In the early 90's most of the lines were clean and bare. A few were common catches on the lines, Sug, Fate, High, Jase, Kaps, Pre and Sire. Yes Sire, I think i caught more of his between 94-97 than anyone else. That what I am talking about being up in a game at a time when not many were really up. Never knew Pat personally but knew of him through the (N)ATIONWIDE brotherhood, RELAX IN PARADISE my ACTION MAKE FAME FAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Homie definitely knew it was going to be "A Metal Future"

RIP

Pat