8mm production

Beast

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest BROWNer

hmm...

i asked somebody this already on here, i can't remember who though...

they said you can take it to a university and transfer it over

to desktop somehow....thats all i know..i would like to know

more though as well..

Guest usedtolove

your best bet...if you really waanna get into film(or moviemaking)

is to get yourself digital video camera.... the canon gl1 is an excellent one and will run you about 1900 ...or you can start of and get a consumer one and you could get one for maybe as low as 500 maybe 600........then if moneys no thing ..get a macintosh g-4 run you about 2300..for anice nice one.. if money is alil tight..get a i-mac g3....

do the same work just a lil slower but excellent for film editing.........read as much as you can on the subject .library or just spend your extra time at borders......read read read..and watch shit loads of movies..ok sorry gave you more info than you asked for:)

heres' the deal if you pay 1900 for a GL1 you're a chump. they are good yes, but their audio quality is dismal. you could get a sony DCR-VX2000 for about that and it's a cajillion times better. more CCDs etc.

don't fucking get Digital 8. there's nothing i hate more than digital 8. it's not really digital, it records onto Hi8 tapes and it just has a firewire outlet. i hate digital 8 and i hate people who act all hoity toity because they have a fucking "digital camera."

if you want good editing equipment, here's what you need.

AT LEAST:

1ghz processor

256 meg RAM

40 gigs HD space

Firewire

seperate HDs for video

i realize you can run shit without all this but it's been my experience that without all that it fucking sucks. you crash all the time an it's absolute misery.

Right now i'm running a Sony system and i fucking hate it. Vaios are shit and don't get one. If you can rock a Matrox RT 2500 turn key system. Real time baby, that means no rendering and they are super super good.

I realize this was just a big mess of do this do that, but i'm fucking tired, if you want to see some of my work go to http://comp.me0w.net/musictech.wmv

it's a project i did for school. i shoot on a 3ccd sony dcr-trv900, i'm saving up for the VX2000 and i hope to have it by spring break.

i think the original question was about 8mm. 8mm = terrrible quality. the end. if you go digital get a 3ccd camera if you cank, i don't really want to go into the physics of how Charged Coupled Displays work, but most cameras have 1, if you have 3, that's 3 times better image quality. then end i'm out, once agian the linke is

http://comp.me0w.net/musictech.wmv

it's 12 megs, if you have a 56k i don't care it was made for people with DSL and shit.

Guest BROWNer

alright...the person that dropped a little nugget awhile back in regards to

super8 was MisPantaloneEstaEuneoijalnlnansdlgn....

quote:

"About the Super 8, it's pain in the ass to edit it on your computer, and too expensive. I used to do it at

school. I get the Super 8 film, develope it and transfer it to VHS, then from VHS I transfer it to Mini Dv

then slap the bitch in trv-11 and put it on the computer. It's cost to much to put it on VHS then on Mini DV

so normally I just go over to the university and for like $3.50 an hour they let me use their film lab and

editing jazz.

I shoot on Super 8 and Mini DV."

:o

super 8 is way different. if you're talking about 8mm, the stuff that was on personal camcorders, that's different than super 8. 8mm records on tape and super 8 records on actual film. super 8 is a bitch to work with, but can look really really good.

Guest BROWNer

woopsy's.ignore my ignorance of camcorders and everything else..

forgive me, i have super 8 on the brain.

comp, you ever seen a Norman Mclaren film???

btw, you link comes up with a page of grey ecrypted jargonese...

hmmm...comp there knows his shit, impressive indeed. although i must disagree with you on some stuff, the canon and the sony both have 3ccd's, i personally prefer the canon because its smaller, but im looking into something in the sony possibly right now. dont even bother getting anything thats not 3ccd if your going to get a digital video camera, i just dont think its worth it, save the extra money and get some quality shit.

also (assuming that some of you on here skate...) you should spring the extra 8 bills and get the century optics fisheye, this is the lens i dream of and blow load after hot steamy load in my pants thinking about...oh its so nice...

they used the GL-1 to film for damage inc. and i love that video, every other graf video i have is such poor quality it looks like it was filmed with some piece of shit that you buy from one of the shit stores in nyc where all the cameras "fell off trucks", but not damage inc., crisp images and color, good fast paced editing, enjoyable to watch, the opening shot with lapse mds where they used the fisheye is soooooo good, im anxiously awaiting issue 2, does anyone know of any other vids that have the same quality as this?

nsk-vc

i got a new mouse, it has a laser, this shit is so cool...

I just go over to the university and for like $3.50 an hour they let me use their film lab and

are most universities in the practice of doing this????????? i sure as hell hope so

Bump for Comp.

I hope you got a goddamn A on that project. My roommate and I were really impressed with the video. Plus that Modest Mouse song rocks, so that doesn't hurt much either.

The opening sequence with the thin strip of your(?) eyes really sets up the rest of the production.

Congrats!

Originally posted by SOZER

also (assuming that some of you on here skate...) you should spring the extra 8 bills and get the century optics fisheye, this is the lens i dream of and blow load after hot steamy load in my pants thinking about...oh its so nice...

i dunno bout the quality of this one go to http://www.digitaletc.com/lenses/camcorder.htm

they have a .3x fisheye for only $120. sure the century optics one will be better, but meh what you gonna do.

anyway, the VX2000 is better than a GL1 and not as good as an XL1. the end. Audio quality is loads better on the VX and it has zoom rings and focus rings. the GL1 have neither.

hmmm...actually i have a real shitty sony that i got for like 450 right now, and a crystal optics wide angle on there (blah...) and i usually just take off the defractor ring and manual focus and tape the lens on there and i get a real kickass fisheye that is probably about equal to the century, although that lense is just beautiful, and im looking into a good pro-sumer digicam soon, possibly the trv-900 just because i seen it cheap and its 3ccd. but i want a handle so maybe ill just spring for the vx2000.

nsk-vc

Archived