FUCK A CYCLOPS!

Abracadabra

Op to remove baby's second head

_40852183_manar_credit203.jpg

Doctors have operated successfully to remove a second head from a 10-month-old baby.

Manar Maged was originally one of conjoined identical twins, but her sister failed to develop in the womb.

As a result she was born with a second head attached to her own - a condition known as craniopagus parasiticus.

Manar, who was otherwise healthy, underwent a 13-hour operation at Benha Children's Hospital, Cairo, on Saturday. She is reported to be stable.

Doctors said the second head was capable of smiling and blinking - but not of independent life.

The weight of it meant that although Manar developed normally, she could not sit or crawl.

A 13-strong team operated on Manar, separating her brain from the conjoined organ in small stages.

Shared blood vessel

Surgery was complex, as the conjoined head shared a blood vessel with Manar's brain.

The surgeons had to cut off the blood supply to Manar's head without triggering a potentially fatal surge of blood to Manar's heart.

_40851895_op_credit203.jpg

Following surgery, Manar could move all four limbs and showed no signs of paralysis.

She is breathing normally and has a normal heartbeat and blood pressure.

However, Dr Abla al-Alfi, senior consultant at the hospital's neonatal intensive care unit, said there was concern about the baby's liver, which had not functioned normally since the surgery.

Manar is likely to remain in intensive care for another week while doctors carefully monitor her progress.

Similar surgery was attempted on a girl in the Dominican Republic last year. However, the child died.

source

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest imported_Tesseract

hmm, uranium in US weapons used in the neighborhood?

i dunno, shit looks fake to me from the flick but i wouldnt be surpised if its true

Originally posted by villain@Feb 24 2005, 12:23 PM

a condition known as craniopagus parasiticus.

If it's a known condition it must have happened before... come on now people, use your second heads.

thank you.

it's from the BBC website, not foxnews or cnn. bbc actually research their stories before they run them

nah, look at her pointer, its too thin to be only part of her finger, the other fingers look wider to me, im just saying....i dont really care if its real or not, as long as that shit aint my kid/kids

i wonder what shes gonna tell her kid 'yeah theyre used to be a head attatched to you when you were younger' haha

these days i am doing a ton of research on genetics, using fish as a model. these females produce hundreds of eggs, so at this point i've dealt with thousands upon thousands of embryos.

in one instance, i saw a fish, which was produced from normal fish parents with no genetic alterations, develop with two heads. it lived for a few days.

this happens sometimes, and occasionally, they survive into adulthood.

there are an incredible number of things that have to go right to produce a healthy human baby. after studying biology, i am amazed there aren't more weird ass mutations running around out there.

that being said, the picture does look funky.

Guest imported_Europe

Saw it on the news aswell. Its totally true.

Its one of the rarest siamese-twin examples.

Hope she pulls through, I love freaks and I love a happy end.