Headphones

RumPuncher

I have these.... they sound good but hurt my ears after wearing them for a while:

https://gradolabs.com/headphones/prestige-series/item/1-sr80e

I think if they made a different type of padding that is thicker it would fix this issue.

What do you guys think about open ear vs. not open ear headphones?

Do you have any recommendations for ear buds that aren't apple brand that are good?

Also, what are your thoughts on wired vs. bluetooth for audio?  Do you think wireless is "ok" or do you prefer wired only?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I like Bluetooth for things like groceries or the gym. But I prefer wired for long flights. Having to worry about headphones losing battery is a pain. Especially if finding somewhere to charge them is going to be tough. 

I suggest any ear buds that have these “wing” things. They are secure enough for running. I’ve never had them fall out. Normal apple style ear buds fall out of my ears easily.  @Dirty_habiT

image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, Hua Guofang said:

Hey assholes,

Looking for recommendations for wireless buds (mountainbike riding, yard work, around the office, sleeping, etc) for USD$75-100

Bass is pretty important, as is having the noise-blocking silicon grommet thingies.

I’ve never found a pair of buds that cancel out the wind noise good enough for me to use them cycling. I’ve been through tons and tons of buds and have come to the conclusion that most of them are the same, for me. I usually grab a $10 pair and ride em TIL the wheels fall off. Some of the $10 buds I’ve had have been better than the stock apple buds. No matter what you do, stay away from SkullCandy

have you considered an option like this for cycling:

9C150471-B308-4BB3-B88E-DFEB41B20814.png

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I have a pair of audio technica's m40x or whatever.. pretty solid headphones.. also found this microphone adapter on Amazon for like 20 bucks.. now not only are they super dope headphones but now they work as an awesome gaming headset as well.. just replaced the earmuffs with these black camo guys since the originals were literally falling apart..IMG_20201205_095949.thumb.jpg.2f985ddb54cf6aa15dac705c901cfd68.jpg

Also @Hua Guofang if you're looking for a dope pair of earbuds I could recommend Jabra 65t Elite.. I have a pair and they're pretty dope for earbuds and has a solid amount of bass as well.. they also have like 4 mics on them for ambient mode that way you can hear your surroundings.. works great for hopping on the train late at night or you can keep it off to tune out everything.. only thing I'll say about them is I had the left one fuck up, like it'd be fine then five minutes listening it'd slowly fade out to where I hear NOTHING out that earbud.. but my girl looked it up and fucked around with the tiny pinhole on them with a toothpick according to Google and now they work fine.. only other thing is that sometimes the mics pic up more of the background than you talking, ie if you're around alot of loud machinery/on the train Platform.. not a deal breaker for me tho most of the time I have these in I'm trying to get off the phone anyway so I can get back to the jams..

440402488_6181245cv13d(1).jpg.66f6edfa0eb0d7e6f3612ab2683865e8.jpg

The jabras 65t are the older version but they're within your price range.. the newer ones I think are the 85t and they're like $140 or so and I don't think you wanna spend that much.. also honorable mention, Beats just released a pair of earbuds like the beats x from a couple years ago but they're $50 and won't die on you within a month like my old pair did.. which is why I bought the jabras.. but hey fifty bucks for some beats is not bad especially if bass is your thing.. just hope these last longer than the beatsx did..

MYMC2.thumb.jpeg.cee08a88c462f9ec4c52064dee6800cc.jpeg

Edited by Tails0nE
  • Like 2
  • Truth 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm almost sold on the Skull Candy Crusher Evo Headphones. The bass is drip. I'm so used to my system in my car , the headphones are just a tease.

To get a full on Car sound system anywhere, I wanted to get this....

image.thumb.jpeg.6b69bf6ffa471077421f2c54817f967d.jpeg

Not Sold on the price tag, waiting for this to drop price.  Sucks for video games, great for music.

For those wondering, headphones and jacket provide bass vibration to feel the bass .

• Like 1

19 hours ago, T4M* said:

^^

You're getting into the higher class for headphones. The materials used to built it are higher quality. 

These are the best headphones in the world.

True.  

I a agree, Sennheiser are top notch personally and professionally. 

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

Hopefully everyone knows that there are many headphones for multiple purposes. 

The HD 280 pro and M40 X are headphones that produce "flat lines ". Headphones like BEATS enhance the lower frequencies to appeal to bass heads, while the flat lines keep each sound as is, giving you clarity and a better listen, for us music producers.

• Truth 2
  • Props 2

• 4 weeks later...

Currently shopping and have these sitting in my cart.  
IMG_4518.thumb.jpeg.0264213ed636ef9b3c307e284d47dfc4.jpeg
getting moved into loud work spaces so I need a lot of noise cancelling. Going for headphones as opposed to earbuds for multiple reasons. (I don’t want to appear available for anyone and I don’t want to lose an earbud). 
Going for wireless. 

my big concerns are-
I have a massive scar and missing mastoid bone so the pressure of anything over/on the ear can be quite uncomfortable. Only tried on a few pair that were available (Bose, JBL and skull candy).  They all fit pretty light. I don’t wanna spend the money on Bose for work and I’ve never had good results with skull candy (earbuds) in the past. 

another concern-I am deaf on one side. I don’t know if it is the way the music is made or how the earbuds/headphones deliver the sound but I’ve learned that sometimes the sounds are delivered to each ear separately. (Trying to make this make sense) 

say I’m listening to a song in the car or house where I can hear highs and lows 

then I play the same song in (Apple) earbuds and I can only hear highs (because the lows are delivered to the opposing (deaf) side. 
like the music is ping pong-ing back and forth but I only hear the forth. 

is this a music thing or an device thing? 

• Like 1
  • Truth 2

@SMdoubleXLback in the day there used to be a button on your playing device where you could switch back and forth between mono and stereo. Mono has the same sound come out of both earphones and stereo is where you can have a lot of the different sound components split between the left and right speakers. 

• Like 1
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1

@mr.yuck thank you. I feel so behind with anything technical. Haha 

I noticed the difference when Apple switched the style of their earbuds. From the lil circular ones (that would accommodate either ear) to the ones which are L/R structured. I def thought it had something to do with the change. 

im gonna snatch up those JBLs and report back. 

• Truth 1

Ok, this is my theory:

Every headphone has a sound frequency chart that shows you a neutral line, and shows you what sound waves are amped or not present.

A car has each sound frequency amped , and any slack in power you can adjust and add more power.

The lows will always be produced (Mastered) to Mono, each earbud/headphone should receive the same volume of bass to both sides. If the bass sounds louder on one side,  you are listening to a live set, or music with acoustic instruments, where the bass will fluctuate,  sometimes.

So, your Apple earbuds might be slacking on bass frequencies. If they play bass back and foward,  try a different song. Or try this....

Bass is played in mono. Try it out. If bass feels off still, switch earbuds from one ear to another. If off, clean earbuds,  run test again. Still off, maybe bad headphones, can only be verified with clone set.

Now, there is a method to calibrate any headphones, but will require a little bit of work.

I'm on Android, so I use two things:

1505775334_Screenshot_20240113_130339_MusicSpeedChanger.thumb.jpg.798e56b4f668d36d1c29f4795b0dc76a.jpg

I have a media player that comes with a bunch of sound options. The mono tab lets you just the volume of each headphone.

Screenshot_20240113_130152_Equalizer.thumb.jpg.5a18415c2a89607a4b0d3420f56bef41.jpg

I have an Equalizer that takes control over the entire phone's sound system. You can also make your own presets to each headphone you own.

On another note:

Android has a feature that I need to investigate where it enhances the sound and adds in a small reverb or echo. When you pause something,  you can hear the illusion.  That shit needs to be turned off. Too much bright sound. Phones will fuck with the sound as well. Better to keep things neutral.

@SMdoubleXL

Edited by T4M*
  • Props 1

That looks intense.  For sures you're rocking with the right sound for your ears.

I am still testing the Skull Candy Bass Evo Headphones. Settings are intense to see what these puppies can do lmao

Some songs sound hilarious with over saturated bass.

• Truth 1

Thanks so much @T4M* so much of that make sense

after losing the hearing in my left I struggle to hear lows. So I didn’t hear that frequency sweep until 35. Just on my phone. Sitting in front of me. I’ll try it on the headphones and see if I can adjust all the sounds to one ear   Haven’t looked into it yet but it’s def worth some investigating. 

when people would get in my car they would complain that all the sound was coming mostly from the right side. Haha. 

im curious if anyone else tried/would try that frequency sweep and see where they begin hearing sound. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2024 at 4:58 AM, SMdoubleXL said:

im curious if anyone else tried/would try that frequency sweep and see where they begin hearing sound. 

This one is dope.

I stopped at Age 26. To get an accurate age number, watch video again with the slowest speed,  slowly turn up your headphones as high as you can go,  and you will hear the sound fade away to silence.

I have a Frequency Generator App that I use to tune Bass in car systems, apparently it goes up to 22khz . . . . 

1570056960_Screenshot_20240118_093756_OneUIHome.thumb.jpg.09a7adaf2d21e61492e7b2b4b1003aaa.jpg

This is what my ears can ear individually and as a group:

Screenshot_20240118_095328.thumb.jpg.48d66c16bc7c11d0b7c472f16e595d9d.jpg

Test performed using Sony Extra Bass Headphones:

image.thumb.jpeg.c9bd7ab83af9759723c06e2652950054.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Screenshot_20240405_231623.jpg.d350f3513686579bddc4a84f8c3c6d64.jpg

Screenshot_20240405_232043.jpg.cd0d958df8360bfe701aa2ad9dceb859.jpg

BASS DEMO 🔊

First impression:

I was after the Bass feel, didn't like it and want to return them.......maybe .

I have experience with the Skull Candy EVO and I love the bass they produce. EVOs sound like a real car system in your ears. The ANC have a really nice punch , but the feel wasn't the same as the EVO. I will say tho, the bass and the unit (ANC) are very comfortable.  The Bass on the EVOs will eventually give you a headache at full blast, ANC won't.

I just got them, and I'm making a fast review, I will give them time. Might end up getting the EVOs and keep these for trips. They provide (ANC) noise canceling,  outside mics, and the latest Bluetooth technology with multi paring.

Skull Candy app is legit and provides handy tools :

Screenshot_20240405_221118_Skull-iQ.thumb.jpg.72509c240dcde3737c0e0351986d4b71.jpg

( Wiggled lines represent the boost needed for my hears)

Screenshot_20240405_234451_Gallery.jpg.bb4cbf2b8f5d459115dcc13c38313b8c.jpgScreenshot_20240405_234546_Skull-iQ.thumb.jpg.17390d605f2ffbcd30cb2dc6fd7b2df0.jpg

So it's quality audio vs bass feel. In other words, it's either 10" sealed box subs vs 12" open port box subs 🤔

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had the Sennheiser PCX 550-II wireless over-ear headphones and the Sennheiser Momentum True Wireless 4 earbuds for about a year now. 

My take is the sound in both headphones are absolutely incredible. The over-ear headphones are so damn good that I might be in a long state of mourning when they eventually die. They’re comfortable on my head for hours, battery life is really good, noise-canceling is great (especially on the plane), and controls are perfectly placed. I love that volume control is sliding my finger up or down on the outside of the ear cover… simple, but I’m easy to please. 

The earbuds are just as good for all the same reasons mentioned above but I will say the one thing that bugs me is that no matter what size silicon ear tips I use the right side ear bud unseats with the slightest jaw movement. That’s clearly an issue with me and not the tech but it still bugs me. 

Highly recommend both. 

IMG_5369.jpeg

IMG_5368.webp

Edited by Joker
  • Like 4