Beginning Bible for Graffiti Writers

why write?

No Shit! I'm in the UK, a lil town at that, and there is no competition! I spent tonight walking along the local train tracks and bombing anything I could, with a cheeky throwup here and there...

just keep observing and learning from graffiti and draw and draw and draw.

learn basic bar letters with even proportions

odds are, you'll suck at graffiti for a while, so nobody wants to see that shit. nobody gets anything out of it. stay on paper for a while.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
im literally the biggest fucking toy on this thread, so im just wondering. should i invest in art classes like drawing and design or will practice just by virtue of being practice make me better?

dont waste money on classes use it on booze,drugs and potted meat travel and put PEN to paper

• 1 month later...

so i was caught slippin. first offense so it was a misdemeanor. should i keep writing my same name or find a new one. no court date though. however the state can bring the case back up if im picked up for curfew. i was not mirandized by the way so was my arrest contempt? in chicago.

I've been reading over this site for awhile now and have picked up some great stuff from it. I'm always hearing different opinions on when to start painting and hitting walls around my city. For the most part I have just kept all of my work in my blackbook, but I'm interested in starting to paint and learning paint control. I've painted plywood and primed up cardboard and shit (which turned out better than I expected :p ) but am just curious as to when I should begin to bomb streets. All opinions appreciated.

Also any good threads where I can post some blackbook toy work ? Trying to get critiqued, not embarrassed. hahaha.

• 5 months later...

Recently I went to a show and two niggas gave me their numbers and I gave them myn. Point is, that as soon as we switched numbers, they both bounced. One of the niggas invited me to paint but I ain't buying it. Nigga was a white boy. He was rolling with another white boy. The other kid was asian and he was rolling with another asian chick. I might be paranoid but fuck that shit. This was in SF by the way. So SF writers who have been in the game. Help me out yo.

so i was caught slippin. first offense so it was a misdemeanor. should i keep writing my same name or find a new one. no court date though. however the state can bring the case back up if im picked up for curfew. i was not mirandized by the way so was my arrest contempt? in chicago.

You should use your same name but if anything DO NOT GET CAUGHT or your fucked.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you guys have to say about stickers? I like the markers and the cans and all that, but im not as talented with it. Therefore, being that I am a graphic designer I designed a sticker, I really want to get into the weatpaste kind of street art.

• 1 month later...

Was wondering if anyone knows of some forming tips for tags,throwies,wildstyle,3d all styles of graffiti I use to graff trying to get back in to it need a lot of practice when I seen my old work when I first started I did have anyone to point me in the right direction now that I am on a graffiti forum I want to get all the help I can get

Anyone from western Pennsylvania that knows of a art supply store in or around Lawrence county let me know thanks

Was wondering if anyone knows of some forming tips for tags,throwies,wildstyle,3d all styles of graffiti I use to graff trying to get back in to it need a lot of practice when I seen my old work when I first started I did have anyone to point me in the right direction now that I am on a graffiti forum I want to get all the help I can get

Anyone from western Pennsylvania that knows of a art supply store in or around Lawrence county let me know thanks

First tip, don't go to an art supply store. If you need to ask those questions you're not good enough to benefit from anything they sell there. Just go pick up some mechanical pencils, sharpies and pens. Start with simple letters akin to the ones on a keyboard. If you find that too boring, look at various fonts in Word, print out alphabets and copy them...a lot. At some point you'll gain an innate understanding of letter structure and be able to go from there. I don't have any advice for handstyles and throwies, look at lots of them, look at ones from your area, emulate and create your own style from your observations. For 3d just give yourself a vantage point and make everything stretch toward it. No one gets good overnight, prepare to suck for years.

First tip, don't go to an art supply store. If you need to ask those questions you're not good enough to benefit from anything they sell there. Just go pick up some mechanical pencils, sharpies and pens. Start with simple letters akin to the ones on a keyboard. If you find that too boring, look at various fonts in Word, print out alphabets and copy them...a lot. At some point you'll gain an innate understanding of letter structure and be able to go from there. I don't have any advice for handstyles and throwies, look at lots of them, look at ones from your area, emulate and create your own style from your observations. For 3d just give yourself a vantage point and make everything stretch toward it. No one gets good overnight, prepare to suck for years.

Hey thanks a lot for you're advice I will definitely keep this in mind

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been living in a town of 650 in Illinois for about 6 years now.

I've bombed ONE building with some toy shit, and they conducted a GODDAMN investigation once they saw it.:rolleyes: I never got caught, but living out here has forced me under some bridges in the country, and I'm sad to say that I am the only person who tags anything here. It's god damn pathetic. Anybody know some good cities in central IL to start puttin my shit out there? I'd continue here but I'm pretty sure I'll get caught.

• 2 weeks later...
I am passionate about graff. Just ordered some nice paint. All I done so far is tag up my town. I live in a suburb an hour drive from London, UK. I want to start painting, am I too late as I am in my late 20's?

Same man, i live in the suburbs and its fucking dead apart from like 2 other writers. Where abouts you at? south/north etc

The fact of the matter is that Graff is an art-form. You can't just read up on it and expect to "hella-bomb-shit, yo". You need to practice. A lot. You need to pay your dues. Otherwise you remain as much a toy as you ever had been. you have to live it, you can't just act it. Expect to get busted - try not to - but be prepared for it. Furthermore, the new generations of bombers don't really know the essence of the art. We didn't grow up with it. We can try our best to understand it, but we will never feel the same spirit as the original waves. So don't try and rep dat old-skool shit, playa. Our generation is here to learn from the old ways and make it ours, to keep it alive. That's why artists study art history, and learn from the old masters. It's up to us to continue with the ongoing renaissance of graff culture.

The etiquette is very basic, common knowledge. If a random see's your piece, how likely are they to connect it to you? Are you hitting everything within a 2 mile perimeter of your residence? Are you hitting everything from your home to your workplace and back ? is your mark specific to your everyday travels? Are you wearing the same shit and carrying the same backpack when you rock as when you're out casually?

You don't want to be identifiable. You want your two worlds to be completely separate from one another. Furthermore, treat people with respect. If you want to bomb the system, leave the civilians alone. Don't be an ass-hat and rock somebody's bumper or front door. Leave nature alone. Rock what you're rebelling against. Make something that's plain and ugly new and refreshing while considering the above points. Be an artist rather than a vandal. Use your head, and keep it down.

Love,

-Scum

Same man, i live in the suburbs and its fucking dead apart from like 2 other writers. Where abouts you at? south/north etc

-----

I am passionate about graff. Just ordered some nice paint. All I done so far is tag up my town. I live in a suburb an hour drive from London, UK. I want to start painting, am I too late as I am in my late 20's?

Never too late if you got the passion and the drive to do something. I'm late 20s, just starting out with letters really (tho experienced as an illustrative artist already). You just gotta push, practice, push, practice... suck, suck it up. Then practice some more.

How I started meeting writers and stuff was go to legal jams (where I painted illos not letters) and I started meeting people that way. It really helped me out personally - you make friends, you get together for sketchbook sessions or whatever. That's just my experience anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

some more help for a beginner?

so i just start writing... started practicing a lot at home and suchh.... then started tagging, i got my tag up quite a bit, but not really knowing a lot i wasnt really smart about it. like a couple people found out that i was doing it that id rather them not know.... they know my tag i think. Was wanting to change my tagging name completely.... but i already have the one im using now up all over... kind of sketched out now.. any way to fix this? :confused::confused::confused:

Change your hobby, please.

It's a lotta things about arrows you don't know anything about, S1987Nic.

Things you wouldn't understand.

Things you couldn't understand.

Things you shouldn't understand.

You don't wanna get mixed up with arrows like tagging.

You'd have to be a loner, S1987Nic.

A rebel.

Re: some more help for a beginner?

so i just start writing... started practicing a lot at home and suchh.... then started tagging, i got my tag up quite a bit, but not really knowing a lot i wasnt really smart about it. like a couple people found out that i was doing it that id rather them not know.... they know my tag i think. Was wanting to change my tagging name completely.... but i already have the one im using now up all over... kind of sketched out now.. any way to fix this? :confused::confused::confused:

Haha, a lot of us have been there man. Got up with a few tags around town, went to a party, went out walking, and when I woke up the next day walking around town, I noticed that my drunk ass went AAAALLLL city. I have no clue how I didn't get arrested, or maybe I got chased, I don't remember. I was blacked out just about the entire time.

Just take any evidence pointing to you and burn it or give it to a very trustworthy friend who can keep her/his mouth shut.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived