60th Anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz

Dr. Dazzle

Auschwitz horrors remembered

28 January 2005

Tears were shed for the six million Jews murdered in the Holocaust as survivors gathered to remember the horrors of the Nazi atrocities.

The Queen and Prime Minister Tony Blair paid their respects at the national ceremony in London to mark the 60th anniversary of the liberation of the Auschwitz death camp.

In an emotional service, grandchildren of the survivors read names from a list of 3,000 dead - all relatives of those at the National Holocaust Day commemoration in the Palace of Westminster's Westminster Hall.

As well as Jews, hundreds of thousands of others, from Roma gypsie and homosexuals to the disabled and mentally ill were slaughtered by the Nazis.

During the service, eerie black and white images of Auschwitz were projected on to the chilly Hall's historic stone walls, from mugshots of prisoners to starving people lying in concentration camp bunks.

After a flame taken from one burning at the Belsen camp arrived, the Queen lit the first of 60 remembrance candles - one candle for every year since Auschwitz was liberated.

Survivors armed with thin white candles stood and slowly made their way to the front to light the others - some returning to their seats in tears.

The Chief Rabbi Dr Jonathan Sacks described the Holocaust as the "greatest crime of man against man".

Mr Blair said prejudice must be confronted wherever it occurs. "We must never dishonour their memory by allowing the ugly poison of racial prejudice and hatred to hold sway again," he said.

In snow-covered Auschwitz-Birkenau in Poland, where up to 1.5 million perished, 29 world leaders, Foreign Secretary Jack Straw and the Earl of Wessex attended the international ceremony.

Corpi%20Ammassati%20Auschwitz.JPG

auschwitz.jpg

L%20State%20Museum%20in%20Oswiecim,%20Auschwitz,%2075%20km%20from%20Krakow.JPG

2-Auschwitz.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

it's kind of creepy going there cause there are all these walls with photos that the nazi's took of each prisoner and every so often you'll see where soembody has come to visit the place and has left flowers behind the photos.When I was there there was an old lady crying and lighting candles at the wall where executions by firing squad took place. It was -14 and snow falling heavily.Really sombre stuff.

i guess we have to look back to be better looking forward..

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Weird, I just got around to finally reading MAUS a week ago, wasn't aware of this day coming. Unbelievably fucked up stuff.

RIP

Originally posted by Schnitzel@Jan 28 2005, 05:23 AM

it's kind of creepy going there cause there are all these walls with photos that the nazi's took of each prisoner and every so often you'll see where soembody has come to visit the place and has left flowers behind the photos.When I was there there was an old lady crying and lighting candles at the wall where executions by firing squad took place. It was -14 and snow falling heavily.Really sombre stuff.

i guess we have to look back to be better looking forward..

Dachau had a similar setup (walls of giant pictures), but I don't recall them having the individual pictures.

Originally posted by snowkid@Jan 28 2005, 04:11 PM

the more you learn about the holocaust the harder it is to believe that humans could actually do that to each other. and it was only 60 years ago...

^^on point there.

its a shame to think that the biggest thing of the last century was the slaughter of millions in concentration camps.

I was kind of embarassed when Putin started comparing the Holocaust to modern day terrorism at the ceremonies in Auschwitz.

Shit, very little compares to the Holocaust in terms of human depravity and madness. I would have thought he would have compared the horrors of the gulags that existed in the USSR til' 1987 before terrorism....

I turned it off after that, I wonder if anyone caught what Cheney had to say about the whole deal since he was there?