namedropping in oakland....

17reasonswhy

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I went. I liked the spraycan installation.

Okay - so I've been the skeptic of this topic, but hear me out one last time. Alot of the art was really cool, but alot was very second-rate and looked very last minute, thrown together and not prepared for a show, with the exception of the installation and the steel sculpture. The fact that the whole show was dominated by one or two crews says that the Creamery didn't really take time and responsibility in finding a diverse group of "OG" writers, but instead left it up to one crew member, who in turn gave space to all the other crew members.

I'd also really appreciate a graff show IN oakland in the future that displayed oakland artists exclusively. None of this "oh I painted at Coloseum once, that makes me down"...

Originally posted by I Luv Roo

I went. I liked the spraycan installation.

Okay - so I've been the skeptic of this topic, but hear me out one last time. Alot of the art was really cool, but alot was very second-rate and looked very last minute, thrown together and not prepared for a show, with the exception of the installation and the steel sculpture. The fact that the whole show was dominated by one or two crews says that the Creamery didn't really take time and responsibility in finding a diverse group of "OG" writers, but instead left it up to one crew member, who in turn gave space to all the other crew members.

I'd also really appreciate a graff show IN oakland in the future that displayed oakland artists exclusively. None of this "oh I painted at Coloseum once, that makes me down"...

I am glad that you went....too bad i didn't get to meet you.......I kept looking for the old muppet up in the balcony but jeez I just didn't see yah...........Really though..the honest criticism is welcome...this is a continually evolving process of finding the right balance.......if a gallery show is strictly graff then it will attract only people interested in graff....if it is touted as a gallery showing of diverse forms of the elements of graff design then you get a much different crowd...the challenge is in finding that balance.....as this collection continues expect to see different peices and hopefully next time all of us will be on the same page with the "finished" peices that fully represent the extent of how far one can really take graff into the established world of "fine" art..(or at least that is what i think we were trying to do,maybe i am the only one who thinks or sees it that way, and if so then that is cool too)....but hey at least you braved the rain and rolled through..........and guess what....regardless of what you thought of the whole show....their is some dope shit on display by individuals......as a whole it needs some refining, as does everything in its conception....but all those parts together will shine in time as one collection.........and don't wait around for someone else to put a show together of "OG" oakland work.........start that hustle right now........less is not always more.

It's funny how everyone wants to be a critic. I bet you would love to see a show of Oakland Writers...who wouldn't ? The problem being many are pretty much out of the loop, who let their scene evaporate....From the days of TMP, TDK,....to????......now...who is there?..what is there?....hmmmm.......THOUGHT SO....A legal wall here and there does nor count for a scene, nor a movement.

As for the show, well let me know next time you see a first rate show, so I can see what the differnece between second and and first rate is..

Let they say what they will.....in the end it was a fun night, and until I see your shit up.....talking loud...and ain't sayin nuffin.

Do I know what a retorical question is?!?!

I was at the opening, although I managed to avoid getting sucked in the scene that night. I liked the show, but wasn't blown away. My favorite was the airbrushed Ganesh, as well as the can collection and the R sculpture. I wish the "What is this worth?" sticker wasn't on the glass case of the can collection, though. I didn't want to approach the piece from a monetary viewpoint, which the sticker suggested I did. It was fun to check out all those old spray cans and some of the rare colors I've heard of.

There was definately a gap between the serious and talented artists and those that simply framed some throw-up photos, or tagged a canvas, or just posted up some stickers on a wall. But I guess that is the scope of a graf show. I'm gonna resist the often overwhelming urge to talk trash on some of the lamer artists.

My only real critism for the Creamery was the need for some sort of key or list of whose art belonged to whom - they all had numbers so maybe I just couldn't find the corresponding list. Also... no food and no booze! Art openings just aren't as much fun without a cold brew and a paper plate piled high with chips and celery sticks.

But overall, not bad. Honestly - better than I expected and I had a good time.

Guest willy.wonka

you cant go wrong with free beer...

i stuck around til the end of the night and slipped out with my boys at the calling time......

there was a lot of luaghter and "pure" moments of the night.

even before i started drinking;i was having fun...i even bumped into a girl i know from hawaii.

GOOD VIBRATIONS

DID YOU FEEL THE FLOOR SHAKE?

Originally posted by cleansheets

It's funny how everyone wants to be a critic. I bet you would love to see a show of Oakland Writers...who wouldn't ? The problem being many are pretty much out of the loop, who let their scene evaporate....From the days of TMP, TDK,....to????......now...who is there?..what is there?....hmmmm.......THOUGHT SO....A legal wall here and there does nor count for a scene, nor a movement.

As for the show, well let me know next time you see a first rate show, so I can see what the differnece between second and and first rate is..

Let they say what they will.....in the end it was a fun night, and until I see your shit up.....talking loud...and ain't sayin nuffin.

Cleansheets...

#1 - You act like you know alot about Oakland - are you from around here? Are you familiar with some of the recent incidents involving TDK writers? Two of them have died in a matter of two years, may they rest in peace. I think they some more important things to focus on right now. Not to mention alot of those guys helped do the Hip Hop Nation show at Yerba Buena in SF, which was very well put together conisdering how much space they gave to graff.

#2 - I see great shows all the time! There are some truly amazing artists out here. I even loved alot of the art at the Creamery - maybe you should go read my post again before spazzing out like that. I didn't say the 'show' was second-rate, I said some of the pieces were - and 17reasons even agreed, so chill!

#3 - You should know who I am before you go assuming that I'm not up. You don't know what I write, and like I said earlier, if you did, you WOULD see me up and looking good! Then again, you're just talking shit, so I really shouldn't take you seriously.

Re: Do I know what a retorical question is?!?!

Originally posted by Graf Orlok

I was at the opening, although I managed to avoid getting sucked in the scene that night. I liked the show, but wasn't blown away. My favorite was the airbrushed Ganesh, as well as the can collection and the R sculpture. I wish the "What is this worth?" sticker wasn't on the glass case of the can collection, though. I didn't want to approach the piece from a monetary viewpoint, which the sticker suggested I did. It was fun to check out all those old spray cans and some of the rare colors I've heard of.

There was definately a gap between the serious and talented artists and those that simply framed some throw-up photos, or tagged a canvas, or just posted up some stickers on a wall. But I guess that is the scope of a graf show. I'm gonna resist the often overwhelming urge to talk trash on some of the lamer artists.

My only real critism for the Creamery was the need for some sort of key or list of whose art belonged to whom - they all had numbers so maybe I just couldn't find the corresponding list. Also... no food and no booze! Art openings just aren't as much fun without a cold brew and a paper plate piled high with chips and celery sticks.

But overall, not bad. Honestly - better than I expected and I had a good time.

I am glad you came and gave it a chance......sorry about no food and drink being available for you....it was there but greedy beasts soon consumed.....i guess you can never really have enough.....i find it interesting that you saw the disparity between the work.....that just goes to show you that graff takes many forms when it leaves the wall and heads toward the gallery.......it is inevitable that some thrown together items would be part of a show about the design elements of graff....they are an intrinsic part of the bigger picture and something would have felt like it was missing had they not been there.....we will let you know where the next home for the collection will be and the show should just get better as it evolves and streamlines......stay tuned and thanks for the support and feedback.

1. Yes.I happen to know a teenie tiny bit about the town.I find no real need in tooting my own horn...but yeah, I was there....and still am.

And what I mean to say about Oakland, is in regards to when it was really bumping as to now..it has slowed down quite a bit.No discredit to any of the OG's and yes, I know who they are...and all respect due.

2. I was saying let me know when you see a first rate show.

3. No comment....

And served...yeah...you are right..I totally just got put in check..my bad homie......Please, hammer..don't hurt em.

Originally posted by willy.wonka

you cant go wrong with free beer...

i stuck around til the end of the night and slipped out with my boys at the calling time......

there was a lot of luaghter and "pure" moments of the night.

even before i started drinking;i was having fun...i even bumped into a girl i know from hawaii.

GOOD VIBRATIONS

DID YOU FEEL THE FLOOR SHAKE?

the bigger they are the harder they fall........

Archived