Going straight edge?

ASK

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest --zeSto--

It's almost impossible to live without some form of addiction or vice,

(as that's the human condition and is trenscended by only the zen masters)

Find something less destructive (like art?) to fill your time.

Learn that vice is like spice...

Pepper doesn't make the steak.

Got that?

grasper your sXe? i didnt think there were any LI sXe writers...haha

as far as the seething ball of hate goes, that works well. or laugh at all your friends when they get drunk and make them give you money, this has worked on several occasions and enabled me to make it home with a little more gas than i should have.

or have them pick fights with people you know can kick their ass, this makes for hours of fun, just go up to your friend and be like "yo, that guy over theres talking shit about you...blah blah blah" and convince them that they can kick said persons ass.

im such a good friend.

nsk

Guest KING OF HELL

THE KING OF HELL thinks straight edge is a good thing for kids having a hard time trying to stay away from bad influences and saying no. it gives people a little bit of help develpoing a spine. just dont go all out at first. listen and learn things about what sxe realy means. it is not about being a dick to everyone who drinks or smokes.

it IS about keeping your head clear and not giving into pressures that you dont agree with just on the basis of weak acceptance. be a monkey wrench in the gears. stick. retain longevity and THEN you will have great stories for your grandkids when everyone else is telling them either lies or drunk guy stories.

I was straight edge for 4 years... but I mean I also wore that shirt that said "if you aren't now, you never were" so.. I guess I never was straight edge for 4 years. But anyway, I never regret that time in my life. I learned so much, got so much accomplished, and I remained really happy and even now that I'm not straight edge.. I'd still rather go to parties and clubs and be sober 90% of the time. I think the thing about being straight edge is that it's easy to get sucked into the "scene" where all you do is go to shows, talk shit, and get into fights or watch your friends get into fights. I surrounded myself with mostly straight edge people and had mostly straight edge mentality and then when I grew out of that phase, where the shows and people no longer interested me, I felt like I wanted to sell out in order to "learn and discover new things, and meet different kinds of people". The fact is, you can be straight edge or drug free, and not have to limit yourself to any one scene... just dont' let other straight edge kids tell you that emo's not cool, and huffin paint fumes isn't being drug free. hehe, jk. but seriously, do your own things, and let straigth edge mean drug free and only drug free.. not hardcore, tattoo's, and labret piercings. you know?

Guest cracked ass

You don't need to "be" straightedge or anything else that has a school of thought attached to it. You can just not drink, or not smoke, or whatever particular abstinence would clear your head. It's a lonely road, but if you stick to it long enough you will shake out the less desirable friends you have and find out which are the real ones - those who accept you for what you are. The people I respect the most are the ones who were cool to me when I was a partier, and are cool to me now that I've given up substances. I'm not straightedge, I just don't drink, and have little or no motivation to do other drugs these days. I'm not interested in a prefab philosophy, I just do my thing and don't have a name for it.

i was sober from 18, till roughly 24. not cause it was cool, but cause i realized i had a problem. then i started drinking again, it was obvious i still have my problem. but that didnt really stop me. i have, however stopped for one reason or another again. shit is difficult as hell. im an alcoholic and i like drinking. i like myself better when ive been drinking. im much more amusing to everyone involved when ive been drinking. but, there comes a time when you have decide what matters more, drinking or dying. hopefully it wont be that hard of a choice. if you need the crutch of being 'straight edge' to be sober, im not so sure that its really that much better (from a self healing perspective.) it's still relying on something to get you through your weakness. but if you want to be sober, then i wish you all the luck in the world. its not easy. not because people wont accept you, but because you begin to realize that outside of drugs and alcohol, you probably have very little in common with most of the people you call friends. thats where the lonliness comes into play.

seeking/did i just say all that?

Guest serpent of the light
Originally posted by seeking innocence

if you need the crutch of being 'straight edge' to be sober?

straight edge isn't always a crutch, i know for some people it is, and for a lot it isn't. for me its just easier to say. i posted this in some other thread too. i simply am all the things that the straight edge philosophy has, so why not call myself it? its not a crutch, its not a religion. it just is.

as for hanging w/ drunks or whatever. most of my friends are not edge, or close. i watch them get fucked up, i have my fun playing video games or going painting or going biking or to shows. do your thing, people will respect it

xxx303

just prepare yourself for lonely friday and saturday nights..... wait it's 12:00 friday night and im in my dormroom.

ive been sxe for 5 years. i love it

just remember straight edge isn't for everyone. some people like being labeled and others don't. I still go to parties and have a good time and you gain a lot peoples RESPECT for it. your freinds should like you for who you are not what you do. Just remember straight edge means till death to most so think about it. don't just slap an X on your hand to be stylish. like i did, but luckly a good friend moved into town and taught me what it's all about

riding my bicycle is my addiction. and in ten years when they all have beer bellies i'll still be riding my bike.

Originally posted by -Rage-

If it wasn't for the sex...I'd really be straight edge. ;)

What does sex have to do with it?

I am straightedge. Have been for some time now and I see nothing wrong with a stupid slut sucking some ballz. Or getting your sex on. I've had a girlfriend for over a year now so it is a little different for me. If I didn't have a girl I would still be looking for a girl now and then for a piece of tail. The Basics are no drugs, no smoking, and no drinking. where's the sex? I am a vegetarian and don't drink caffiene, but that is by my choice. It doesn't make me more straightedge or less straightedge than someone else.

Also I don't think the people you hang with matters too much. I have friends that are drunks, ones that are pot headz, and some that have gone way beyond those. Then there are of course all of the straightedge kids. We all pretty much get along and to each of us is our own. It is all about how you feel about life. If you don't want to do something don't. If you want to do whatever it is your choice. Far be it from me to stop some dumbass killin' themselves with toxins. 99% of people I don't give a fuck. My boys I care. If it is going too over them top I wont hesitate to say something. But like I said to each their own. I'm not typing anymore right now. Peace to the BUI crew..... ya lushes.

i have to echo what many others have said. i went to the edge for support when i was 15 and i never regret it. i still don't drink at all and it's been 6 years. i know that for me it had a lot to do with control and making sure i kept as much of it as possible at a time when i was young and didn't feel like i had much at all.

i am surprised to hear so many people not getting on this guys back which is cool. it's hard to be young sometimes. i never would have thought that this many writers gave a shit since most i have met hate sober kids. or at least, think it's pretty dumb.

any way as far as advice goes: take it slow, you have a lot of time to make important decisions and you should use it all. sxe can be a constructive way to deal with social shit and to take care of yourself in a pretty hedonistic fatalistic world. but it can't be your only outlet or it drags you in just like any addiction would.

in any case, good luck and feel free to email me if you want to talk about it some more.

thanks to the scene for getting me throught some tough shit

. . . .

riding my bicycle is my addiction. and in ten years when they all have beer bellies i'll still be riding my bike.

please tell me that your talking about street riding, ive never met anyone who rides/writes. only skaters who write, whatever though.

grasp, whats o.g.l.i shit about?

nsk

i wasnt trying to say that all people who are 'straight edge' are so because they need the crutch. but from my experience, if you label yourself, then usually its because you need the identity that that label creates. with me, i just didnt do it. i wasnt straight edge, i mean, by definition i was, but i had no urge to be labeled simply because i chose to not drink. i dont wear red shirts, but im not anti red shirt... i dont know, people can do whatever they want, i dont care.

seeking/seeking means im better than you

Originally posted by SOZER

please tell me that your talking about street riding, ive never met anyone who rides/writes. only skaters who write, whatever though.

grasp, whats o.g.l.i shit about?

nsk [/quote

what's street riding? I ride my bike on the street. i call it road riding maybe it's the same thing. i have one of those bikes with the skinny tires i go on 3 hour rides, climb big mountains. no it's not bmx or those crazy kids that grind those rails. mad respect for them. im just a road weenie.

Originally posted by deznatori

What does sex have to do with it?

Everyone has different ideas of what's straightedge means to them. A lot of my friends are hardcore all the way. Fucking Vegan, no caffeine, no drugs, drinking or anything else. Along with that the don't have sex. It's just what they think straightedge is. I guess I hang out with them too much. They try to push their ideals on me too much.

Anyways, I know what you're talking about deznatori. I mean I don't drink, smoke, or do any drugs. I've even wanted to cut back on the caffeine.

If you ask me technically no one is ever straight edge. We all have our little quirks that people don't know about or we fuck up.

Guest please.die

wow..this is rad..I love being straightedge, but a lot of the time I am somewhat ashamed because of the asses that tend to represent it, I would rather people be left to make their own decisions and not get their ass beat for not being edge. My roommate "soldout" the label because he couldn't stand to deal with all the shit that goes along with it, I suppose I can understand...but I have no intention, I'm still here for the same reasons I started, it's still for me...

Although I see where seeking is coming from, and I suppose he is right, but I'd rather not admit it..or deal with it.

Either way, hearing from a lot of positive open-minded edge kids, and a bunch of hella cool kids that aren't, makes me happier to be apart of it.

ps I mean no disrespect to courage crew or xsemx kids, and all that, the whole hardline deal just isn't something I really am down for.

..right.

my two cents...

i was straight edge for many a years. i was in the biggest and best straight edge band in my scene, and was known as "the straight edge guy". i think its silly now: it started off with no sex, then years later sex is okay, but you gotta be a vegetarian, then a few years later, you had to be vegan. seems more like people changing a label to fit themselves rather than adhering to it.

all i can say is, for me, being straight edge is about being productive, and it made no sense for me when i hung out with all my friends while they drank, cuz i was doing the same unproductive silly shit as my drunk friends, but wasn't getting as much a kick out of it as they were. so if you're gonna hang out with all your drinking friends, think about it.

now when i run into people from the scene back in the day, they like to bring up my sxe past and i feel a little silly. not for being sober, but for putting a label on myself to shelter myself into a false reality.

i'm very glad i was straight for all those years, it's made me part of who i am, but i do feel embarrased when people throw that shit back in my face about being so damn serious about "straightedge"

Archived