Volkswagen's

TuffGuy

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Veedubs are the shit- but u gotta know what to look for when youre buying one...

depending on the model i would suggest ALWAYS checking out the door jams. it sounds stupid, but you can tell a lot about the way a car was treated by just opening the door and peepin' out the hinges and such.

if it's gonna be a mk2 then give the motor a good listen. they're notorious for having problems with the lifters, if it does you can expect to hear a major tick. another mk2 problem i've had was with the radiator and connections to it. the engine bay on these have lots of little depressions -so if it does have a leak, you'll be able to see a puddle of coolant after a good drive.

don't own a mk3, but have many friends who do. only problem that comes to mind would be the adhesive that vw used for the side trim, which dos'nt last, so you can plan on buying a tube of automotive goo.

and i would'nt suggest the 2 liter.....go for the vr6.

recently bought a mk4 vr6. this car is the shit. pulls on porsches, and fuck a wrx - i shit on 'em all the time.

the only prob's i've had were mentioned above: lights/electric (which is usually due to one falty fuse or light, and ends up tweakin everything. and the mass airflow sensor (100+ bucks). only had to change it once though- the trick is to install a cold air intake ;).

thegizzle.jpg

they seem to be for enthusiasts only. it seems like they need alot of care. audis are nice cars too, they have 0 resale value so go used. stay the fuck away from 90 91 passats. im skeptical on the corrado ive heard alot of horror stories from all my homies whove had one. vw's are good cars, and they can really go, but i think theyre for car heads.

buy some beater for your first car, especially if its for winter driving. unless your from bc, your probably gonna get into some minor accident if you dont have alot of experiance driving. buy some shit box for 5 bills, then when summer rolls around, buy a low end mid to early 90s bmw and take good care of it. im sure you can find one for like 4kor 5k if you look and call dealerships and wholesalers... like a 318 c or something like that. you can roll in style, and one of those coupes doesent need alot of work to look stylish. like jay-z says no chrome on the wheels, im a grown up for real.

Ive got a 95 gti vr6 it has been the funnest car ive ever had. ground control adjustable springs, koni red shocks front and rear upper strut bars rear 28 mm lightened sway bar, a-arm chassis brace.. so far.. the motor ive only done a lightened flywheel when i changed the clutch. a few problems here and there the worst was a water hose to the oil cooler, i had to tear the whole front of the car off. it sucked.

Originally posted by johnny@Jan 10 2005, 04:58 PM

i call BS on a VR whooping on porshes/wrxs. unless you're knee deep in money on the car i'm doubtful.

i dont know about beating porsches,

but i can beat a wrx in my vr,

stock for stock.

its dumb hard to launch a wrx, without destroying your tranny,

whereas a vr has torque to get a jump.

ive beat 5.0 stangs, for the same reason,

launching...is key.

im sure you have seen newbies with cobras, only running 14s or so..because they either have no traction or bog...

and yes, it takes a lot of money to get a watercooled vw into the 10s, and forget about the single digits...that takes sponsors.

the fastest vw on the planet is owned by a couple of friends of mine at c&m performance.

the world record is 9.69

c&m performance ran 9.692 at Fall Show n Go...in their tube frame jetta.

I'm all about sleepers right now.

My uncle stuffed a built V6 into a volkswagen bug. that car was just retarded. He had to fabricate a square trunk lid because the engine stuck out so far. I tried talking him into putting a 911 whale tail on it to further the rediculousness of it, but no dice. That bug would absolutely destroy the Mustang 5.0 liter coupe that everyone was running for a hot minute back in the 90s.

• 7 years later...

got a 2000 passat wagon about six months ago. it's been one problem after another since i got it. first it was the crankcase seal, then it was the turbo, then the break lines, now there's a leak in the power steering system somewhere. thank jeebus one of my best friends is a volkswagen master tech or i would have driven the goddamned thing off of a fucking bridge.

Are VW engines really made of chocolate?

i've been looking at Mk3 golfs and vento/jetta's recently...

but some o' the comments on here are making me think twice aboot getting one...

saying that my parents had a Mk2 years back an they had no complaints at all with it...