Denim buying priorities?

misteraven

I'm kinda curious of people's opinions on what's more important in the denim purchasing decision. Do you place more emphasis on the cut (fit), or on the wash/dye? granted both are imporatnt, but which is the biggest deal breaker in dropping money on denim? obviously, this isnt intended for the type of person that buys whatever's cheapest or on sale, but rather someone that really appreciative of a finer product and willing to pay for it ($160+).

also how important are the trims and detailing? do you prefer simple and classic, or do you appreciate extra detailing/branding? i don't mean over the top stuff, but rather the details that help distinguish a brand. example: the hand painted seagull motiff on (some) evisu, or perhaps the unfinshed edges on the rogan belt loops. granted most people don't like the super crazy stitch patterns and patches all over the place, but as far as small touches, you prefer to see them, or do prefer a solid pair of denim without the frills or need to advertise?

just curious.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

ha. i should not include myself in this, but i will anyway just so your OCD 'refresh' pressing will prove fruitfull.

first thing ive been looking for is wash i guess. i look to see how much extranious shit has been done to the jean, then immediately cut out anything that looks too 'doctored'. i dont want holes and paint splatters on my jeans. thats why i buy new jeans, because my old ones have paint on them. i dont want them whiskered to the point where it looks like a zebra is giving me a lap dance. i dont want sanding so severe that it looks like racing stripes that end just below the knee. no thanks. i like jeans because they're timeless. start pulling that shit and it dates them.

i really like little signature details. it's what makes jeans extra fresh. people cant go over board though, or do something thats completely unecessary. i like the little diesel logo on the change pocket. the energie one is dope also.

one thing im being really fucking annoyed by is people not making jeans long enough. fuck a 33" inseam. i'm 6'3", 33" aint gonna cut it. 34 barely does, and if they shrink, im screwed. another thing i'd like, is guys jeans in stretch denim. maybe it's just cause i do alot of karate kicks, but stretch is hellof comfortable. you probably wont feel it, being a purist and all, but it would be nice to have as an option.

and just think, two months ago i knew nothing.

first thing always - FIT

I dont care if the color is perfect, if it doesnt fit, it doesnt fly.

Then I suppose the dye/fade. I look for subtle sticthing but

that's just my tastes. I like it when there is a distinguisable

design to them, but too much is just too much. The designer

jeans that most people seem to rock are too trendy to last.

Jeans can last for ages, so buying ones that will go out of

fashion is not something I will do.

I know they arent really designer jeans anymore,

but I can never go wrong with a good pair of Calvins.

Originally posted by seeking@Dec 23 2004, 02:40 PM

another thing i'd like, is guys jeans in stretch denim. maybe it's just cause i do alot of karate kicks, but stretch is hellof comfortable.

Yes. They should really start making more shirts AND pants in stretch. So comfortable. Even if they just make them so they can stretch a little bit, its nice.

I don't buy ridiculously expensive jeans, but i'll drop my opinion anyways. Personally when i go into a store looking for jeans, the first thing i notice is wash. Solely because i choose what i want to try on based on looks, so i don't find out about fit until after i've already decided i like them enough to try them on. Its wash that will decide whether i even try them on, but in the end its going to be fit that decides what jeans i will buy. I like my jeans to be comfortable, but i also don't want to look like i just painted a house and then rubbed them on a barbwire fence.

As far as little details go, i like them as long as they remain small. Some nice detailing or a little bit of added stitching can make a pair of jeans look even better, but lots of brands just go over the top and look ridiculous.

Its really not ever going to end. you know that right?

I just want some plain jeans that fit really well. Fit is the most important thing to me. I like little details that are subtle. I like tasteful stiching.

If a pair of jeans fits perfectly but the wash is wack forget it. You know vice said it best. I dont want to be wearing a pair of jeans that makes it look like I pissed my pants. I want denim that is soft like its been worn in but yah... I dont want any stains, holes and only really minimal fraying.

Finding jeans without alot of shit on them is hard... anyhow.. I also wouldnt buy a pair of jeans that was a perfect wash but didnt fit well. Wash and fit are pretty equal in importance.

I dont need to advertise anything. if a pair of pants fits well and looks fresh I dont give a shit who made them.

Wash gets me to try them on, fit and detail sell them.

I don't like or want to wear jeans that look old. I can always tell when peoples' jeans are pre-faded and it just seems super fake to me. I'd rather just get a pair of nice dark jeans that fit nicely and wear them until they're broken in and somewhat faded out.

I like denim that looks like this:

0e_1_b.JPG

Then after I establish that it has good color I must try them on. The fit is really important. I don't like jeans that are sort of tight or cling to your leg in spots. I like mine to be wide, and all the way down. A lot of times they get a little tighter towards the bottom, this is no good.

I also like the pockets to be wide and really deep because I keep so much shit in them. On my Girbauds I can carry a full bottle of alcohol, or a can of 25% more Rusto in them and you can't even notice.

Then what comes last I guess is the overall design on the pants. The stitching, the patches, whatever. I don't really care what they look like as long as they meet my other criteria.

first and foremost i look for the fit in the jeans. i don't like mine too big and saggy that's why i always buy those levi's regular fit jeans ($20 bucks). they fit me pretty well but the only thing is the blue jeans color usually bleed on to some of the bright color shoes i have like the green and yellow DC. does anyone in here know how to fix that problem? well, everything else is not that important to me, i don't like too much detailes in a jean. i like it simple. is there any other brand out there that fits like the levi's?

I gotta cast another vote for fit as my first priority. Most of my purchases are vintage, either Lee Riders or Wranglers if I can find them in decent shape. Aside from the fit the next biggest factor is the type of denim. both jeans use broken twill stitching, which uses a heavier denim, but resultls in a softer feel that wears and fades really well. I really hate the pre-fading thats out everywhere now, but most of my purchases are "naturally pre-faded" from use, so its not an issue.

Originally posted by GucciCondom@Dec 25 2004, 10:21 AM

I feel Justaname on the bleeding shit. Every pair of shoes I own that isn't black has all kinds of blue dye all over them. Shits annoying.

only think you can do us put masking take inside the cuff so the denim doesnt rub against the sneaker. happens a lot with some of the higher end denims using organic dyes.

good lookin' raven ill try that

trackstand..do you have stores like TJ Maxx or Marshalls? You can find nice jeans for cheap in there. The brands will depend on where your from. I've seen Polo and Nautica and stuff in the ones here, but down the shore they had Enyce, Diesel, Droors, Zoo York, all kinds of shit.

Guest imported_Tesseract

I always look for style at first, if its fits right buts its one fo those super torn out/washed out i have no use for it. Seeking summed up exactly whats not to like on a pair of denim. I like details alot, volcom has some dope inner cloth for the front pockets, diesels small logo on the side of the right backpocket is dope, Diesel has some really nice details in stitching. I always liked how the rivec was a bit more fat in all joinings and i just got a pair of the rolan that has some nice touches without being all weird. Fit is very important but luckily my body type is totally regular so any company thats serious fits me fine, diesel again is my fav mostly because of how it fits on the waist without pressing the crotch and because the legs arent narrow even if you wear non baggy sizes/styles (i'm european you bastards!)

Another thing is weight of the fabric, although it seemed like a good idea, thin denim totally doesnt cut it for me.

All and all i like a classic pair of jeans that has some space left for me to wear out and totally love 6 months after i get it. I think the key is to have something thats classic but doesnt look too common at the same time if that makes sense.

anybody tried replay jeans btw?

I've done so many karate kicks these past months i think i fucked up my knees.

fit and wash are equally as important, i suppose.

Especially with all those stupid super faded jeans nowadays,

streaks of white down the front and back. Or just on the butt. so stupid.

I just like a really simple wash, medium to dark. A bit of fading is ok, but really...just a bit.

I hate super stiff jeans as well. So uncomfortable. The best are the stretch that are soft. I like jeans on the thin side. They tend to be more comfy that way.

I don't like any embroidery on the pockets either.

simpler the better.

w2snpFadedFrontCU.jpg

yuck

let me revise my first statement.....

I go looking for style first, but fit is what makes me pick

one pair over another pair. I guess style is the first concern

but fit is the final say in whether I buy them or not.

so yeah.... Style is the emotional and fit is the practicle.

"Dont sell with logic because people buy with emotion"

Originally posted by seeking@Dec 23 2004, 03:40 PM

one thing im being really fucking annoyed by is people not making jeans long enough. fuck a 33" inseam. i'm 6'3", 33" aint gonna cut it. 34 barely does, and if they shrink, im screwed.

see, i would think that would be plenty long (34"). i'm 6'5" and wear my jeans kind of low, and 34 is fine for me... i even have one pair that i have to cuff because they're too long if i don't. i saw one pair today that had a 40" inseam which i thought was kind of silly.

the only reason i came into this thread is because i just bought a pair of Mavi jeans for $37.90... i'm starting to appreciate jeans more. 2 years ago i didn't even own a pair of jeans, all i wore were cargo pants and sweatpants. jeans aren't bad though, as long as they don't rape my piggy bank.

that's the point, you wear them low. try wearing them where they're supposed to be worn, then check the inseam, you'll see what i mean. i used to be able to get away with 32"s because i wore them so low on my waist, it didnt matter. but now that i'm fucking with 'low rise' jeans that are made to be worn low, the inseam is still the same, but the total length of the jean, from cuff to waist, is shorter.

make sense?

40" inseam would be designed to be worn with a very large cuff, not because anyone actually needs it that long.

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by seeking@Dec 27 2004, 02:05 PM

jeans are like girls; first you weed out the ones who look like shit, then you try on the rest until you find one that 'fits'.

you forgot the wear them till you're sick of them ans they're all ripped with nasty holes so you must get a new pair...

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by Misteraven+Dec 28 2004, 07:27 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Misteraven - Dec 28 2004, 07:27 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Tesseract@Dec 27 2004, 07:36 AM

Its so funny, levis cost about a 100 euros in europe

you can get levi's as cheap as $24 in the states, but those aren't the style numbers we're really discussing. rather it's mostly the vintage selvage re-releases, and levi's premium... levi's 501xx, etc

[/b]

word, that makes more sense