Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Toys post here...

swif1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
On 3/18/2020 at 6:25 AM, Ray40 said:

4442E9AA-DB9D-45D9-A5C7-4FD45FA167E2.jpeg

Those little 18" (45cm) tall throwies are not only difficult to paint, but don't serve the reason of a throwup. Scale is important, speed is important. I know it's a waste of paint but your throwup should be as tall as that board. Color wise - try to stick to very contrasting colors for outline and fill. The bottom left is fine but the green and dark red looks muddy. Think about the majority of throwups you see out there - most of them are white fill with black outline, or black outline with white fill. High contrasting colors work best. 

Just do the outline, no fill, to conserve paint as you're learning. 

Edited by Joker
Added final thought...
  • Truth 1

Are outlining in your fill color and then filling and then go back outlining with black? Or are you outlining black and trying to color in the lines?.... I ask because your fill looks spotty.  Looks you tried to color in the lines. Try making a smooth motion left to right. Moving your arm all the way across each letter in a single motion.  This will give you a smooth finish.

Okay so watched a how to piece video from The Artist Block to see if I could learn anything new and in the video Grim states that when constructing a block letter the bars have to connect at the verticies. But what about an L where I only see one of the verticies actually makes contact with a verticies from another bar. And what about the letter T where there it connects at the center of the bar and not any of the verticies? I know I’ve gotta be misunderstanding something but I can’t exactly put my finger on it. Would someone mind clearing that up?

BEE918B7-EA58-4854-B20A-31923FFB844E.jpeg

Edited by Aristo

@Ray40bigger bigger bigger. Im pretty excited about your progress lil homie. Try to fill the whole board up with one piece. Your letters can be 4 feet tall and 32 inches wide each. I always found it easier to go big with letter structure than to build tiny letters. I could never get letter proportion right on a small scale. Keep it up bro.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2020 at 10:42 PM, Aristo said:

Okay so watched a how to piece video from The Artist Block to see if I could learn anything new and in the video Grim states that when constructing a block letter the bars have to connect at the verticies. But what about an L where I only see one of the verticies actually makes contact with a verticies from another bar. And what about the letter T where there it connects at the center of the bar and not any of the verticies? I know I’ve gotta be misunderstanding something but I can’t exactly put my finger on it. Would someone mind clearing that up?

He's basically saying that as you're learning the basics of letter structure, aligning each bar in the letter to vetices or a vertex is a best practice. To answer your question about the letters L and T (or X, H, K, and R) - he did point out that there are exceptions to this rule as indicated by the letters I mentioned, including the letters L and T. Your sketch shows that you understand the basics of these letters, and understand his ideas about how to connect the bars in each of those letters. 

Letters like R and K can get a bit tricky but if you follow the YEP example below you'll be fine. All too often, especially when starting out, folks follow the NOPE example... which is incorrect. I think I've mentioned it before but just imagine you're writing these letters with a chisel-tip pen, and it should make sense to you. 

Example.jpg

• Like 3
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1

3 minutes ago, Ray40 said:

a painting from today while the weather is nice, 80 % chance of rain tomorrow

IMG_5312.jpg

Whoa buddie. This is WAY better. The proportions are right. As is the spacing. Keep up the good work. Style will come aftet the technique.  You are well on your way.

Edited by EkONE23
  • Like 2