Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
swif1

Toys post here...

@Ray40- What I meant was to practice single letters. I was just saying R as an example. You should practice all three of your letters over and over. Just draw that letter R I gave you over and over. Not how you interpret it, but how I drew it for you. Same with the A and Y. Once you get them  down so it's almost exactly the same as my drawing - then we can start playing off that and adding your own style to it. Make sense? Once we get each letter looking the same as what I've given you then we'll put them altogether as a piece. 

And take your time... this isn't a race. 

For reference - I still do this allllllll the time. I call them "Letter Studies". I'll draw a K and get it really dialed in. Sometimes it's something I'll later incorporate into a full piece but most of the time I just do letter studies just to sharpen my skills with that letter or explore different ideas. 

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Thanks again @Joker,I did what you said with each letter on the page, I did drop shadow cause I was trying to learn that skill please give me your opinion or anymore advice

4989139B-6AA1-4BCE-AD81-C1036BBB6DAB.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Props 1

Nice one, @Ray40- definitely keep going. I like the outlined ones the most. As for the Y, try a leg like the one I drew at the bottom of the page. Don't curl up that descender... 

RAY_Edit.jpg.776ce048acde31404c3ffac837027e7d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Props 1

16 hours ago, Joker said:

@Ray40- Like I mentioned to Lime, Graffiti is frustrating. Every writer goes through this period. For some it takes years and for some it just clicks. Honestly, the only thing that will help you get better is practice. Lots of practice. Like, lots of practice. You're young so you've got plenty of time to get all this under control and start progressing. 

You know, @Limeliciouzhad an interesting perspective about using some of these alphabet prints that writers have been doing lately as inspiration for letters. Click that link and a style in there you really like, something simple, and copy it. Line for line, just copy it. I mean... when you look at the letter you drew and the letter you're copying - they should look the same. 

Or you can just fill your sketchbook with pages and pages of one letter sketches. Just draw the letter R I gave you over and over and over. Focus on keeping your bars the same weight, don't worry about fill-ins, stars, any of that shit. 

Just practice. I've been doing Graffiti since 1985 and I still practice... 

The_R.jpg

That jk wet and wild throw (fire emoji) 

• Like 2

These are my sketches from today, I did more letters and a piece , I am in school do I could only sneak in one pic I will show the separates letters when I get the chance

2FCC8F29-0058-4722-A75F-E0D2669B5E13.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Props 1

My other sketches from at school today, my teacher took it away for a whole period😡 anyway, constructive critiscdim would be nice, thanks

C8D449C4-ADC6-4DD6-A8E9-8EA56FFBDB56.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Don'te Setter said:

4351A312-2BF8-4661-B609-14A0B425A4D0.jpeg

Cute ankle. 

I don't know why, but all I see is Banco by Roger Excoffon...

@Ray40- Stay in school. Be present. Get good grades. 

See my edits below...

2051207164_ScreenShot2019-10-22at1_24_18PM.thumb.png.0323319ca9ac3c09ed732e460a1dd8de.png

The R looks great. Just move it slightly to the right so it overlaps the A a little, and tightens up the empty space between the two letters. The line weight on the Y is much thicker than the other letters. Slim it out and try not to curl up that descending bar. 

Thanks so much @Joker, that was a great help and I will use you advice for my next piece. I will do well in school to, so far I have all As andBs and it I almost the end of the 9 weeks so I am doing pretty well.  The teachers are just frustrating and a little racist 

So ive been writing for a year roughly, been a fan since I was kid.

Here are some bits from my blackbook which im happy with but would love feedback so I can improve, doing some sketch swaps and if some OG's would be kind enough to drop me an outline or two 

@Ray40 sick too see you making quick progress, and @Joker you are true  OG giving so many people help to improve

IMG_0958.thumb.jpg.6a68c77584af82f2512099d903f33743.jpg

IMG_0959.thumb.jpg.a1f1f5ba2dc7f2996fae26b334ca78e9.jpg

IMG_0960.thumb.jpg.2b061263be8010d4d88cc27e41e86492.jpgIMG_0961.thumb.jpg.baee4d84aee1431a7f4853d733dab86b.jpg

IMG_0964.thumb.jpg.f9c517016044956bdd0796e547417bb1.jpg

1075921160_PinkynThebrain.thumb.jpeg.acf1a791346672b88d43179197e6c22b.jpeg

STraight.thumb.jpeg.59b2b069629b30dd5d3ced4e59e3ec1b.jpegsunset.thumb.jpeg.0bbd2b940935d19ff8a0359f963c3605.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/21/2019 at 8:29 PM, Joker said:

Downtime while Vray renders...

Lime_Play.jpg

That’s so damn fresh dude i haven’t been able to do anything bc of the holiday been wanting to shoot myself but now I can sketch again imma make something cool now 😉👊👊👊 n I didn’t think I’d get kudos for finding a new way to bite things but I appreciate the mention lolll

• Like 1

@Limeliciouz- In a couple of those new sketches you’re overlapping the letters too much, hiding them. Let the letters breathe, give ‘me a little bit of elbow room. 

• Truth 1

@GONE.FTS- No one can ever tell you that you don’t do themes. Damn. 

Most of what you posted has some potential. Needs help, but has potential. Kinda the same thing I’ve been saying to Ray and Lime... keep your line weights consistent. That will help tremendously. Also, you’ve got a couple different styles going on and I think you should pick one to concentrate on, nail it, then move to the next. I think you could also benefit from the single letter sketch exercise I mentioned a few posts back. Just practice the letter G over and over again, keeping the line weight consistent throughout the letter. Same with the O, N, and E. 

I don’t got themes, just letters and characters...

D4EAF76C-227D-4EFC-ADF9-9F725152325A.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Truth 1
  • Props 1
  • LOL! 1

@Limeliciouz- Forgot tot say that I really like that last sketch you posted. The soft, rounded feel of that one is really nice. With a two or three-color fade and some breaks over top of that would look really nice. 

Something I noticed in one of your previous sketches but failed to bring up, and something you've probably already tried, is using that serif at the end of the leg of the L as a connection point for a lowercase i. It could help fill in the dead space between the L and M, and eliminate the overlapping. Example below...

LIME_Edit.jpg

• Like 2

@enteruncreativename- Sorry I spaced getting back to you. 

So you've definitely got your own thing going on with the faceted angles and unconventional shadowing, and normally I would tell you to smooth things out and straighten things up, but because I'm all about straight lines and angles (fucking abstract Graffiti art...) I'm interested to see this one play out. 

I've made a few edits to your posted image below - For the most part it was fine but I did open up some of the thinner sections and eliminated the defining line in the B (not needed) to give the overall piece a better read. Also, because with this style the O and D will naturally feel/look similar it's important to distinguish the two from one another so there's no confusion. Make the O feel more "round" while the D has a definitive cuts are the top right and bottom right. Let me know if those edits make sense and how else I can help. 

The one-liner throwie isn't bad, but it could definitely use some tightening up. Kinda hard to show an example using a mouse so when I'm home and can work it out on my tablet, I'll share those thoughts. 

BOARD_Edit.jpg

Edited by Joker
Highlighted the letters I'm speaking about...

30 minutes ago, Joker said:

@enteruncreativename- Sorry I spaced getting back to you. 

So you've definitely got your own thing going on with the faceted angles and unconventional shadowing, and normally I would tell you to smooth things out and straighten things up, but because I'm all about straight lines and angles (fucking abstract Graffiti art...) I'm interested to see this one play out. 

I've made a few edits to your posted image below - For the most part it was fine but I did open up some of the thinner sections and eliminated the defining line in the B (not needed) to give the overall piece a better read. Also, because with this style the O and D will naturally feel/look similar it's important to distinguish the two from one another so there's no confusion. Make the O feel more "round" while the D has a definitive cuts are the top right and bottom right. Let me know if those edits make sense and how else I can help. 

The one-liner throwie isn't bad, but it could definitely use some tightening up. Kinda hard to show an example using a mouse so when I'm home and can work it out on my tablet, I'll share those thoughts. 

BOARD_Edit.jpg

Thanks a lot for making this post.  I have heard that same comment about me having my own abstract style to my letters before and that humors me to hear it again.

The line in the B that I added in was to separate the letter from looking like an 8.  I agree with what you said in defining the D more sharply as compared to the o, I did actually try to make them distinctly in my drawing.

But I do take pride in my one liners.  But this word's lettering is too repetitive for me and I was just bored enough to sketch some new letterings with a test name.

• Like 1