Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Toys post here...

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 51.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bode characters always add that finishing touch...

Well, the tried and true method is learning straight letters really well. Based on the first few pages you posted I’d say you’re obviously putting in the effort on that end, but I would encourage you

@Ray40    

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Limeliciouz said:

@Jokerthanks but I don’t think there’s much to work with there it’s a pretty simple sketch here’s a few imageproxy.php?img=&key=ebd33b30216a051bimageproxy.php?img=&key=ebd33b30216a051bimageproxy.php?img=&key=ebd33b30216a051bimageproxy.php?img=&key=ebd33b30216a051b

Dude... you didn't even give me a chance. Ha!

Yes, a simple sketch but my goal is to help you take a simple sketch and a make it better. If I can't make it better, you don't need my help on that sketch. 

Side note: before posting your sketches, please orientate them correctly. Makes it easier to read. 

Here's what I did with your simple sketch:

1. The L felt like it was leaning into the I far too much. I relaxed that bar a bit, and made the notch coming off the back of the bar a bit bigger so it felt more substantial in weight. 

2. The I felt like it was shoved in there and leaning far too much the opposite way of the rest of your letters. I kept the same lean but flattened the bottom to be more in line with the rest of your letters, and gave it an overlapping star  because, well, I couldn't think of anything else to put there. My goal with the star was to give some breathing room up there. 

3. I didn't make many changes to the M, at least not drastic. I added a bit between to the two notches at the bottom, and extended the right section at the top. 

4. The E looked like it was a an old, tired man leaning against a wall, so I changed it up to be more Graffiti-like. Overlapped the top section, and gave it the same lean as your other letters. 

5. Shadows - when you have angles the depth of the shadow isn't going to be as thick as at the bottom or the side of a letter. In general, it'll be about half as thick, sometimes less. Most of your shadows were spot on, it was just on the angles that you were slightly off. 

Hopefully these edits help convey how you can take a simple sketch, keep it simple, and still give it some style (I put my edits above your sketch so you can compare them). Let me know what you think and if there's anything you'd do differently, and why. 

Again, guys like Geser are really good at taking simple styles and making them funky. I would definitely scroll through that link, find the simples, and notice how he gives them very little Graffiti elements but they still feel very Graffiti-like. It's masterful. Something I wish I could do. 

Untitled_Artwork.jpg

• Like 4

@joker damn that looks really good. Yh is the small changes in the letters that really make it up. I appreciate the help. I’ll look into geser. I’m having a really hard time with rounder straight letters.....I’m better at bubble letters...whatever it’s something I’m working on and look at other artists for in the meantime.Do u think u can look at my other sketches when u have a minute pls?  

3 hours ago, Limeliciouz said:

Do u think u can look at my other sketches when u have a minute pls?  

Looking at the color pieces you posted on the previous page, other than the bubble letter piece I don’t really have any feedback. They’re honestly not bad. The bubble letters look like, well, bubble letters so if you were going for something along the lines of a throwup style piece... you nailed bubble letters. I wish I could help with throwups but other than my own name I suck at throwups. 

As as for the last two sketches you posted let’s look at the first one because it has 3D. 

My edits:

1. Again, I relaxed the L a bit and gave it a notch/bit on the top. Keeps the letter simple but gives it some style. 

2. Instead of covering up the I wither top of the L, I brought the top of the I back to the forefront to make the letter more prominent. 

3. Didn’t really do anything to the M other than extend the top right slightly. 

4. I kinda did the same thing as your last sketch when it comes to the E. Just gave it a slight twist to give it a little more style. I added the round bit to balance the one on the L. 

Overall I gave each letter a more robust serif, and rounded each letter for softness. Gives the piece overall a little more weight, which feels good when doing simples. 

As as for the 3D, I kept that simple, too. No need to extend every single line especially when you’ve got a lot of lines to extend, the less you use, the more open and simple it feels, and the more readable it is. 

Your line “shines” I have added a bit of dimension to just because it feels more soft when doing rounded letters. 

untitled_artwork (1).jpg

• Like 2
  • Props 1
4 hours ago, billoboy2020 said:

is this throw any good?

Honestly, no. Throw-ups, like everything else in Graffiti, take A LOT of time to master. And just like simple-style pieces, it's best to start off simple and not complicate the process too much. A throw-up is designed to be executed quickly. The less stop and go, the quicker the process. 

Essentially what you've done is give yourself a lot to think about while putting this up quickly. When you're starting out you want to simplify things for several reasons. First, you want to be able to initial outline/fill-in/final outline while watching over your back. Your sketch has a lot of parts to it which would make watching over your back difficult. Second, you want to be able to do this quickly. Throw-us are not something you "draw" or take your time with. 

Keep it simple, think quick execution, and walk away. 

Something like this:

BOBA_Throwie.jpg

Edited by Joker
  • Like 2
11 minutes ago, Joker said:

Honestly, no. Throw-ups, like everything else in Graffiti, take A LOT of time to master. And just like simple-style pieces, it's best start off simple and not complicate the process too much. A throw-up is designed to be executed quickly. The less stop and go, the quicker the process. 

Essentially what you've done is give yourself a lot to think about while putting this up quickly. When you're starting out you want to simplify things for several reasons. First, you want to be able to initial outline/fill-in/final outline while watching over your back. Your sketch has a lot of parts to it which would make watching over your back difficult. Second, you want to be able to do this quickly, even on paper. Throw-us are not something you draw or take your time with. 

Keep it simple, think quick execution, and walk away. 

Try something like this:

BOBA_Throwie.jpg

ok thanks man thats something i can work with.  What do u think of the looks of the throw in general? if time didnt matter i mean. gonna draw something easier now tho and upload it

Edited by billoboy2020
10 minutes ago, billoboy2020 said:

ok thanks man thats something i can work with.  What do u think of the looks of the throw in general? if time didnt matter i mean. 

Here's some nice examples by Adek and Remio. Suggest you dig through the forum for throwup threads and get an idea for them. Be inspired but don't bite.

Key to the whole thing is how effortless they look when done properly. No doubt it's from countless times doing it (takes 10,000 hours to be an expert), pus a little flare and tons of style that largely comes from efficiency, originality and doing it a million times and then some.

Thanks for what you're doing @Jokerand the rest of you trying to pass along knowledge.

a7e66f799bdb778dcdf7e45318643e5a_L.jpg.da0da48b4d12424e93d4658888214a09.jpg

images.jpg.ef8b035f746115928742efd05425ee09.jpg

Screen-shot-2012-06-05-at-00_57_39.png.ed7738713f76323c5706585d57ee60ce.png

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, billoboy2020 said:

ok thanks man thats something i can work with.  What do u think of the looks of the throw in general? if time didnt matter i mean. 

I get what you're asking, but if time didn't matter you would paint a piece. 

To answer your question, though... I think it looks clumsy. Like I mentioned earlier, there are too many breaks in the lines that make up the letters, it's an odd mix of blocky and bubble, the consistency from letter to letter is a good thing, but because the letters look clumsy on their own it ends up making the whole throw-up look clunky and disjointed. I think once you can get a simple throw-up down and be able to do that in your sleep, you can circle back to this original concept and see how you can incorporate those ideas.

Thanks for jumping in @misteravenand showing some solid examples. 

Edited by Joker
Further thoughts...
  • Like 2

I agree with what Joker is saying, though clearly the Remio example sort of counters this. But before you point that out yourself (if you caught on), before you can break rules you need to master them.

Again, look at who does it right... Follow their lines and try and anticipate the flow of how they do it. Figure out the breaks and connections and then start practicing various versions yourself until you find a swift execution, that makes sense visually and has some of your own original contributions to what is otherwise a fairly common aesthetic.

• Like 4
29 minutes ago, Dirty_habiT said:

I just want to say that I think it's awesome that @Jokeris in here helping people.  I wonder if some of the people getting help realize they're getting lessons from a modern renaissance man.

LOL! Thanks, appreciate that. 

1 hour ago, ElbowMack187 said:

To stay on topic how are these ? 

Bottom one was scraps 

This write peice is for a battle on bs could I get sone thoughts I feel it needs to dance more . 

Screenshot_2019-10-10-10-40-26~2.png

I like it, I think it looks solid, but I have no idea what it says. I see an L and the start (which I really like, BTW) and an E at the end - the rest is not clear to me. 

The Write piece looks nice, as well!

@Jokerwhat about this one? I know the i is still a little squashed ... I started this after I notice I do that.  I dunno really how to fit the i with the L in all caps yet its inherently abit of a stupid composition but I also thinks out the shadows in some places u mentioned that once.....but I never know if u give shadows to letters that overlap. Like does under the top bar of the i get a shadow? I put it in anyway so u can see. overall I just tried to make it more dynamic. 

39972C56-0CF7-4690-A4AA-4D99DB822CB0.jpeg