Toys post here...

swif1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3554/imgp07445ef.jpg

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/5971/imgp07458ho.jpg

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4919/imgp07468mx.jpg

n e feedback appreciated, i no i screwed the o up on the top one with that thing on the side but oh well...I think maybe i should carry on with the second one and dump the other 2 for now... But we'll see

i just glanced at a few of the pages.

couple points of advice i was given, and some of my own:

fills: for now while your form is as weak as it is, keep it extremely simple, 1 or 2 colors. by throwing in waves and everything you're just "aggravating" the form that you have. one solid color allows you to focus on the form (which is, i feel, the most vital part of graf--more than fills, color schemes, etc). good form, even w/ a bad fill can be respected. wack form and wack fills can only be dissed.

form: i think everyone who gets into graf starts with dreams of being the next saber (or respective era-great), so they try to do a lot w/ forms, pushing what the letter is. that comes in time. for now, KEEP IT SIMPLE. i'm saying take an arial font and use it. study it. examine every point of the letter. SANS SERIF. NO FLARE. just the absolute necessary parts that make the letter. play w/ thickness of the lines--outline as well. the more you make, the better you will understand where the strengths of each letter is. my early books i dedicated pages to each letter of the alphabet. (more about this on my biting point)

3d--keep it simple for now. focus on form...

biting/studying--yeah yeah, everybody thinks they're too good to bite. good. keep that attitude, but you've been doing this for 3 months and you plan on mastering this art w/o emulating the masters? be real about it, be honest. admit when you're doing it, but do it! find a piece you really like, and copy it exactly (don't trace) but do your best to transfer all the lines onto your page. "feel" each curve, feel each piece of flare as it comes from the base form. a lot of this comes in time, but its okay, you'll develop style in a year or two, for now you don't have it, so use somebody else's. find exercises which allow you to understand positive flowing forms.

*i'm sure somebody's gonna be pissed about this comment... suck it.

just keep trying to understand what is happening on your piece.

best advice--ALWAYS DRAW. don't stop. do it whenever you can. just doodle. draw waves and curves and circles. work w/ perspective points. discover what is appealing to the eye. study other art forms--modern art offers a lot of curve and angle specific ideas. tear through a black book in a month, come back to that book in 6 months and redo the sketches--see if you can accomplish what you were trying to create now w/ new skills.

i think i'm just rambling at this point, but i think there is some nuggets of knowledge in this rant.

Originally posted by Adernaline@Sep 23 2005, 10:55 AM

my latest attempt at trying to paint something. emphasis on trying.

theres actually a crap fade in the 3d, but its not very clear.

yea the bottom of the a's fucked!

DSC04091.jpg

That fill is pretty tight. The R and D are pretty ill, but the other two need work. My advice is to not make the bottom of your A so long.