Toys post here...

swif1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
the e looks like a z. should have done capitals maybe? your letters are too squished together. at first i thought your RI was a goofy N

Yeah, ha ha, I was just messing around with some new ideas, and it sucked. But, it's whatever; practice is practice. :)

make the K more like the R on teh top right part. Just make it like the R without the top bar, and it will flow a little better.

The shadow is off a bit as well.

Redraw and post up.

I'm working on it right now, bro. Thanks for the crits! I'll post it up in a bit, once it's looking fresh. :)

I dont know if its a dumb question, but why do simples?? Is it that my shit sucks or it's sloppy?? I just find simple letters so boring and not challenging. Plus they really dont look THAT cool. Lol What would i be trying to achieve by doing simples?? Forgive me i am new to this.. I'm more a stenciler although i love love love lettering I am still learning.

Here's the revised sketch. Some of the lines are a little shaky, but it was only a quickie. I'm pretty sure some of my shadow is off again too. :/

imag0165g0.jpg

Crits would be nice.

I dont know if its a dumb question, but why do simples?? Is it that my shit sucks or it's sloppy?? I just find simple letters so boring and not challenging. Plus they really dont look THAT cool. Lol What would i be trying to achieve by doing simples?? Forgive me i am new to this.. I'm more a stenciler although i love love love lettering I am still learning.

Your letter structure is terrible, which is why you need to stick with simples. Once you get them down, then you can start to slowly tweak things, and develop new styles. Nobody will EVER, and I mean EVER rip on you for doing a nice, clean simple. Simples are the key to new, better styles.

there is no structure to the letters, the extensions don't add to the structure, they detract from it, the shadows are wrong, there is no consistency in the letters, there is no true style to them-just composed of chunky lines and extensions... should i continue?

learn structure first, it'll take a while but unless you do you will never have consistency.

WHAT EXACTLY is terrible about it? that's what i dont get. I appreciate the advice.

The general structure (shape) doesn't flow, and is rather strange looking, the letters don't share a common width throughout (for the most part), your extensions are in strange places, and don't flow with the piece, and a few other things. Trust me, simples will help you. I know they get boring, and you want to progress quickly, but progressing too quickly, is only going to delay you in the end, and leave you with a fucked up style.

word stenciling can be cool..but its nice to be a jack of all trades...hands, throws peices etc..

extensions are...parts of A letter that are not on a normal simple letter...they come in all shapes and forms..and dont detract from the letter structure of the letter itself...an example of an extension is an arrow

mspaint image for reference

exten.png

the circled stuff would be considered extensions

word stenciling can be cool..but its nice to be a jack of all trades...hands, throws peices etc..

extensions are...parts of A letter that are not on a normal simple letter...they come in all shapes and forms..and dont detract from the letter structure of the letter itself...an example of an extension is an arrow.

Thanks freakeenyc! That helps a little. looks like i am just going to have to google the shit outta this stuff. lol! I posted some of my stencil work on these 2 threads .. should be last page.

http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81885&page=406

http://www.12ozprophet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104251

Thanks freakeenyc! That helps a little. looks like i am just going to have to google the shit outta this stuff. lol! I posted some of my stencil work on these 2 threads .. should be last page.

Don't start using extensions until you've gotten simples down, entirely.

Rule of thumb: DO NOT GOOGLE ANY TIPS ON GETTING STYLE. GET STYLE BY LOOKING AT PICS ON 12OZ OR FLICKR. PLUS YOU WON'T FIND ANYTHING HELPFUL ABOUT GRAFFITI BY USING GOOGLE.

That's a good fucking rule, man! Google sucks for graffiti tips; you'll get links to Expert Village or some shit, ba ha ha ha!