Toys post here...

swif1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
2 hours ago, whtboi202 said:

@JokerThank's bro I really appreciate all the criticism and help you have provided since I found this place. Your work is always so inspiring and helpful. I do eventually want to add some style to my tag for sure. I've been keeping it fairly simple just to get the flow of my letters down in general. Just my letter is 10x better than what it was a month ago imo. I also picked up a First Step Series Calligraphy book recently which I want to study and learn. I think that will help me a lot with learning how letter flow naturally. Thanks again for everything you do here man, gonna practice working on my throw for sure. Love how you combined the top of the S A together, looks so sick

You’ve got the right approach, and you’re right, your letter S has improved from where it once was. I think the calligraphy idea is a good one, even if just to learn the flow of letters as you suggested. Stoked to see how you progress. Keep at it!

Thanks for the kind words on my personal work, and the work I’m doing in here. My goal was to give back (in my own little way) to a community that has given a lot to me by helping new writers navigate the beginnings of their “career”, and so far it’s seemed like a good way to go. 

On 3/3/2020 at 7:58 AM, Ray40 said:

Thanks @Jokermakes me feel good I am making progress 

Eww

On 3/3/2020 at 7:26 AM, Joker said:

Alright... this is hard for me because in the last 25+ years I've broke a lot of "rules" and have made a name for myself in doing so, but I'm going to call this one out anyway -

No rulers. 

I get it. TRUST ME... I get it. All you have to do is look at my work and you know I get it. Clean lines mean everything to me. Straight lines, truly straight lines, are the best lines. Years ago I was painting a wall in Berkeley, CA. with Mike Giant, and this was during the short-lived electrical diagram phase I was in (whole 'nother story), so there were a lot of straight lines. I don't remember why or how but somehow Giant and I decided to have a "Who can paint the straightest line?" contest right then and there. It was hard fought, but I won. So I get it. That said -

No rulers. 

My reason for this - if straight lines mean that much to you, then you can teach yourself to do them without the ruler. As a writer the hard, fast rule has always been no rulers. I've always felt the main purpose of this was because how in the hell are you going to take that perfectly drawn sketch to a wall and get the same perfectly painted lines? Some big-ass ruler? You going to have a friend hold the end of a 8' long 2x4 and another friend hold the other end so you can run the can along the edge of it for that straight line... for every line? It's not sustainable. Teaching yourself to hit those lines in your blackbook or on the wall is a better choice. It's not easy, but it's a better. 

As for the perfect lines sketch itself, I can't tell you anything that @Gianthasn't already touched on. The letters are good, just need some finessing. Your more loose "wildstyle" sketch... honestly it isn't as bad as you make it out to be. Again, could use some finessing, some tightening up, but overall it's not bad. I wouldn't call it a Wildstyle, though. More Funk, or simple version of a Semi-Wild. The bar coming off the left of the E and then back in on the bottom... I really like that. One thing you could try is doing the same sketch but without all the Funk bits and bobs, just a simple-style EK. Then go back in and add those Semi-Wild bits and see if it feels better. 

Big ups my g.  I have been writing for a good long while.  But for me it was all bombing.  I have not really ever taken the time to teach my self how to draw. Now that I am older and settled down I find I look for things that take time. It is the time I get to slow my life down.  You sound like my big homie. He is against the ruler. And I think you are right. For the the hardest part is translating the idea from my head to paper. I will just keep working at it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Joker said:

@EkONE23- I meant to share this last week. A little more simple than yours but wanted to try it out. I missed adding the cool bar on the E that you did... I’ll get it next time. 

690F1387-3E3A-4358-B85D-AE1ED5EB8353.jpeg

I am going to bite this. If you dont mind? That hand is fire. I do like it. But this on in particular has so mich swing. In writing a name with 2 letters my hand have to have movment. There is not much to play with so they need to fight each other. Thanks big homie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EkONE23 said:

I am going to bite this. If you dont mind? That hand is fire. I do like it. But this on in particular has so mich swing. In writing a name with 2 letters my hand have to have movment. There is not much to play with so they need to fight each other. Thanks big homie.

Of course, it’s yours. It’s my attempt at a Baltimore hand... love that stuff. 

1 minute ago, Joker said:

Of course, it’s yours. It’s my attempt at a Baltimore hand... love that stuff. 

Not the hand the piece. I am a huge fan of handstyles. They are the what graff is to me. I grew up in Seattle so we took some style from all over. The like I said I do a hand just like it. The only difference is the add on yo the k. I do it sharper. I will try that piece out tomorrow and post it. Good lookin.

Just now, EkONE23 said:

Not the hand the piece. I am a huge fan of handstyles. They are the what graff is to me. I grew up in Seattle so we took some style from all over. The like I said I do a hand just like it. The only difference is the add on yo the k. I do it sharper. I will try that piece out tomorrow and post it. Good lookin.

My typing is shit tonight. Hard day of work. I need some sleep.

15 minutes ago, Joker said:

@EkONE23- definitely. Any sketch, handstyle, or throwie I do in this thread for someone is always up for grabs. Stoked to see it painted. 

20 minutes ago, Joker said:

@EkONE23- definitely. Any sketch, handstyle, or throwie I do in this thread for someone is always up for grabs. Stoked to see it painted. 

I wish I had somewhere to paint. I live where it is cold. Paint would freeze homie. But I will draw it no doubt.

16 hours ago, EkONE23 said:

I wish I had somewhere to paint. I live where it is cold. Paint would freeze homie. But I will draw it no doubt.

I have seen videos of people painting in the snow so I think it will be fine.  If you leave your oven open and set them on the very edge of the door it will heat them up And make them more liquidy but I don’t really know.  

8 hours ago, Ray40 said:

Wondering if my tags have improved

07925437-AF64-4C2D-836B-D767AAD91863.jpeg

not sure what they looked like before but I would say to keep it simple. Try to emulate a font with proper stems, cap height, meanline, baselines etc. then you can start adding flare to that...or you can use the "stacking boards method" then add flare to that. Google all shit if you don't know what I'm chatting about. Not sure if that is pencil but I would recommend using pen to practice....

One more thing. The answers on that sheet are Sour Patch Kids, Kit Kat, Salt and Vinegar Chips and Doritos because I have no idea what go gurts are.

• LOL! 3

They have. But I think maybe taking the tine out to just write the letter normally might help. It took me awhile to understand. But style comes from many  things. Flow,spacing,shape, connections, angels. As well as many other things.  But something I feel I think is wrong is the spacing. Some parts are mushed together other open and spaced out. Which fucks with the over all flow. Your handwriting on the answer sheet is good. Try that first. Walk then run. Remember we are writers. You cant have style if you cant write clean. My favorite hands are simple and clean.

1583812885320817104249259113427.jpg

• Like 1
  • Props 1

On 3/7/2020 at 1:51 PM, Ray40 said:

I have seen videos of people painting in the snow so I think it will be fine.  If you leave your oven open and set them on the very edge of the door it will heat them up And make them more liquidy but I don’t really know.  

Nah homie. I live in Alaska. Different cold.

45 minutes ago, EkONE23 said:

They have. But I think maybe taking the tine out to just write the letter normally might help. It took me awhile to understand. But style comes from many  things. Flow,spacing,shape, connections, angels. As well as many other things.  But something I feel I think is wrong is the spacing. Some parts are mushed together other open and spaced out. Which fucks with the over all flow. Your handwriting on the answer sheet is good. Try that first. Walk then run. Remember we are writers. You cant have style if you cant write clean. My favorite hands are simple and clean.

1583812885320817104249259113427.jpg

@Ray40

• Like 1