Toys post here...

swif1

17 hours ago, whtboi202 said:

Messing around with my handstyle. Looking to improve mine so all criticism welcome

20200209_224625.jpg

I'll preface this feedback with this - I prefer what I would call a classic handstyle over all others, but I definitely enjoy all styles.

Looking at what you've posted I would say that you should go with what you're most into, and it would seem that you're most into that one-line tag (best version is bottom right). And to be honest, it looks better than your classic-style tag (top left & bottom middle). When I saw it it immediately reminded me of the tag Atom does for WOW crew that he's in (see below, top - middle of pieces). It's not the same, just reminds me of it... it's unique. It's like he created an invisible upside down triangle and made the letters fit in the shape. 

I think learning a good, classic handstyle would be beneficial, but if you're not feeling it then you're never going to feel comfortable writing it, so go with what feels right. Do what comes naturally and over time that tag will evolve into something more crisp, more refined. I'll mess around with some options using that style and share later. 

3320613502_91ce494bfa_b.jpg

Edited by Joker
added photo
  • Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

@Ray40- Believe me when I say those latest drawings are big improvement from even six months ago. Very cool. 

I'll be honest with you... I have no criticism on either of those. I would encourage you to keep going with those outlines and working on refining them. There's some different bar widths that could use some tightening up but overall these are looking good. I really like the second one on green paper. 

Nice hustle!

• Like 2

@billoboy2020- my only feedback is that you’re letters are getting too wet-noodle looking. You’re curving and bending them in ways that don’t flow naturally, and when you’re doing simple-style letters like those it’s important to keep them feeling clean, crisp. Honestly, your sketch is really close it just needed some refinements...

11D48470-5B7B-4803-8D9B-D95B5941915E.jpeg

• Props 2

@Rectwoner- looking at the throwups on your pages, they’re mostly illegible. I get the E and the C but the R and the T get lost with the extra spikes coming off them, and the face within the R has much the same line work that the letter does so you lose the teeth and other details within the letter. I figured it out by looking at your screen name. 

Now, my example below is dangerously close to an R that Remio might do (or has done... I love his stuff so I may have seen it and it stuck) so use it only as an example. If I was sure it was my own I would say take it, have fun with it, make it yours, but since it has a trademark style of another writer I would say use as inspiration. 

Keep your letters legible, even for a throwup. It doesn’t have to be pretty or perfect, but legible is always nice. Hell... if it’s pretty and perfect then you clearly had enough time to do a piece, and should have. These things are for other writers so the letters can be somewhat distorted but when you take it too far you lose your audience. Adding faces and other embellishments is a great way to set yourself apart from other writer’s throwups, but make the embellishments considered. Really think them through. If you want to do a face within your R make sure it reads as the letter FIRST... then work in the face. Once you’ve established yourself and your throwup you can start to make those embellishments a little more over the top because by then everyone will recognize the overall shape of your throwup, and now the face is what they’re reading. 

Does that help at all?

I know my example is different than your style but I wanted to give you something. 

59F701D3-0A0E-442E-9800-D2F8B5616390.jpeg

Edited by Joker
  • Like 2
  • Props 2