Toys post here...

swif1

3 hours ago, Ray40 said:

Been a while since I posted, haven’t sketched in a while  because if wrestling season.  My uncle got me back into it by buying me plywood wall and paint with a respiratory from bombing science for Christmas. He is the best, well here it is so do judge it and help me improve, P.S do you like the stingray 

32DF1384-3A9D-4BBE-8287-87C47CF894F4.jpeg

I like the stingray character. Your drop shadows are a bit off here and there and bar thickness and curves / angles are inconsistent with the style you're going for, also letter size gets distorted over time.

Something that helped me; is drawing a few straight lines on top and bottom of the area that I'll be sketching inside of. Helps keeping letters more consistent when you're working with a lot of negative area on your blank page. Imagine you're just drawing the outlines of the wall you will be writing on. Helped me with spacial awareness. 

Edited by Chicken McFucketts

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
On 12/26/2019 at 4:52 PM, Chicken McFucketts said:

I like the stingray character. Your drop shadows are a bit off here and there and bar thickness and curves / angles are inconsistent with the style you're going for, also letter size gets distorted over time.

Something that helped me; is drawing a few straight lines on top and bottom of the area that I'll be sketching inside of. Helps keeping letters more consistent when you're working with a lot of negative area on your blank page. Imagine you're just drawing the outlines of the wall you will be writing on. Helped me with spacial awareness. 

Thanks man that’s really helpful, thanks to you too @misteraven

Would you mind helping me @misteraven, I lost my account because I got logged out some how and did not know my password.  I would much appreciated it if you gave me all my account progress and info into this account. If you cannot I understand. Thank you, if you need proof that it’s me here are pictures of my recent work

37DFF2D1-9C0A-4B87-89AA-643776A56F70.jpeg

723FAB78-6EF2-485B-8874-F93056290EF1.jpeg

F79D4139-FB9F-4213-B68E-08EFB8BF8296.jpeg

677AD65E-05CD-4A52-A418-FF87E68E1E8D.jpeg

D241619A-EE17-455B-9A2F-90E29DDA4BFF.jpeg

BB20B264-178C-4892-9609-18C063837B54.jpeg

75EE37F6-A94E-42CD-9956-F272ABBCFCEB.jpeg

5 hours ago, Ray41 said:

Would you mind helping me @misteraven, I lost my account because I got logged out some how and did not know my password.  I would much appreciated it if you gave me all my account progress and info into this account. If you cannot I understand. Thank you, if you need proof that it’s me here are pictures of my recent work

37DFF2D1-9C0A-4B87-89AA-643776A56F70.jpeg

723FAB78-6EF2-485B-8874-F93056290EF1.jpeg

F79D4139-FB9F-4213-B68E-08EFB8BF8296.jpeg

677AD65E-05CD-4A52-A418-FF87E68E1E8D.jpeg

D241619A-EE17-455B-9A2F-90E29DDA4BFF.jpeg

BB20B264-178C-4892-9609-18C063837B54.jpeg

75EE37F6-A94E-42CD-9956-F272ABBCFCEB.jpeg

Some of these are crap but some show real improvement. I'd still stick to being as simple as you can because that's where your improvement is being made. Make sure you get that down before you move on.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, whtboi202 said:

Been about 5 years since I've picked up a pen. The "king" is going to be a religious piece for someone. I know I am extremely far from a king 😅

Snapchat-569778018.jpg

Snapchat-1669910032.jpg

Still, don't think you'll need to spend much time at all in this thread, your fundamentals look to be pretty squared away to me, in terms of bar width, understanding of the letters, balance and flow. Be easier if the sketches were posted the right way up though. You should be able to edit this in your phone within the photo album. Just use the edit function and then spin the pic the right way up.

12 hours ago, Hua Guofang said:

You can easily recover on the login form by using the "forgot password" link. Try that and let me know.

1662001072_ScreenShot2019-12-29at10_43_10AM.png.f38fdf3eaa0422c2a58c615f9711fb3b.png

3 minutes ago, Ray41 said:

I saw that, the thing is I also had lost the email to my previous account and have had trouble finding it, this is probably very hard to believe but you will see that there will be no more comments from that account because I can’t use it anymore  @misteraven

Okay, fixing it now. Going to merge both accounts and update it with the email you used with this new one.

Hello guys,  I know I have asked a lot off favors of you guys and I much appreciate it.  I wanted to ask you all one more because it has been bugging me since I got my plywood.  Although I am very happy my parents are supporting my art and my career I am quite disappointed I will not be able to do it in the streets.  I wrote an entire presentation with videos and links to convince my mom and all she said was she loved how much I appreciate it but she didn't want me in trouble, the said she would do anything to help me as long as it was legal.  This is kind and understandable bit disappointed, I feel as if my entire career in this will be boring and I will not be able to enjoy any off the experiences I would get if I was able to do it in the streets.  I know dishonesty is one path but definitely not the one want to take.  Especially since I already failed with that in this field.  If you guys have any advice for me I would be soooo happy and grateful,  especially in regards to what a future in only doing legal will be, what to do in this situation if I want to paint In the streets, and if this difference really matters at all.  Anyone can answer this for me but I would prefer it to be someone who I believe in and who has helped me in the past ( @misteraven, @Joker, @Hua Guofang,  @Kults, @ElbowMack187)

thank you 

Edited by Ray40

@Ray40

I can appreciate the level of concern your parents have, and due to your age she has a valid point, but I’m not a parent so I don’t think I can really answer your question. I think a lot of folks will want you to have the tried and true experience of a Graffiti writer coming up... the whole getting up and getting over experience... but if you’re true to your word and your parents trust is important, then backyard panels and legal walls might be your thing.  

• Truth 1

On 12/29/2019 at 9:10 AM, Ray40 said:

Sketches from today, I welcome advice, the first one was pretty bad I know, I messed up on the by making it to complex and the and the were a little off but the other r I thought was good tell me what you think 

Do you have access to graph paper? Just wondering if using the grid system on graph paper might help you with consistent line width. 

55449AE9-DB9F-4CB0-AAE4-63606CFD35E7.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Ray40 said:

Hello guys,  I know I have asked a lot off favors of you guys and I much appreciate it.  I wanted to ask you all one more because it has been bugging me since I got my plywood.  Although I am very happy my parents are supporting my art and my career I am quite disappointed I will not be able to do it in the streets.  I wrote an entire presentation with videos and links to convince my mom and all she said was she loved how much I appreciate it but she didn't want me in trouble, the said she would do anything to help me as long as it was legal.  This is kind and understandable bit disappointed, I feel as if my entire career in this will be boring and I will not be able to enjoy any off the experiences I would get if I was able to do it in the streets.  I know dishonesty is one path but definitely not the one want to take.  Especially since I already failed with that in this field.  If you guys have any advice for me I would be soooo happy and grateful,  especially in regards to what a future in only doing legal will be, what to do in this situation if I want to paint In the streets, and if this difference really matters at all.  Anyone can answer this for me but I would prefer it to be someone who I believe in and who has helped me in the past ( @misteraven, @Joker, @Hua Guofang,  @Kults, @ElbowMack187)

thank you 

Loosely followed this thread.  Graf is all about parental rebellion- fuck 'em, destroy all shit, etc.  

On a more serious note though I think it would first help to ask the reverse question- if you stuck to legals what is it you think you would be missing out on?

A lot of us in the past came up with Style Wars, Spraycan Art, etc.  Bibles of graf no doubt, but they also paint some false images of graf life, and I believe a lot of people become disillusioned when they find out that Dez isn't going to take them under his wing, won't make them a part of his crew, and that there won't be historic rivalries solved by graff-off competitions in the street.  So point is, I wonder if you have an accurate view on what you think you're missing.

Presentation to your mom...lol.  I applaud your efforts but if a presentation is all that's needed to get parents to allow you to do 'forbidden' things then I would have had my folks buying me 6 packs and condoms when I was 12.  Probably the best in w/ your parents is doing well in school, no b.s.  Also following general rules at home.  Do that shit consistently no matter what else and your wrongs will seem.... less wrong?

BTW, I pretty much started same as you w/ plywood in the backyard.  Looking at what you posted above are you really street ready?  Don't rush things, you've got a crack team on here giving you pointers and shit, develop your style, work up to where you can at least do simple pieces on the plywood.  EVERYBODY wanted to be out there right away when they first started.  Difference for you is that we all would have loved to have a Joker schooling us before we got out there.  Can't state enough that you're gettng some great shit from here while the rest of the graf world sleeps on it.  Soak it up now while you can and don't rush, you have an advantage in taking it slow.

Jerry Springer final thoughts here- Daim was/is a pretty dope artist with like a 95-99% legal graf career.  In my imediate area there are at least 2 guys with art backgrounds who started off illegal but developed their own legal careers doing murals, signage, legal walls, etc.  

• Props 2

Thank you @One Man Banned, I infact, used to do marker tags for about a year, since around this time last year. I was inspired to graffiti by humorously, the movie spider man into spider verse.  In the movie when it showed him slapping stickers, sketching, and doing a piece.  I was almost instantly hooked.  I thought, that’s what I want to do.  I then watched  a lot of videos and read articles on graffiti to learn because of the lack of a scene in my neighborhood.  I took markers after practicing a tag and finding a name and started tagging in my town and in my neighborhood.  I did not care much for the being famous part or being in crews.  I just enjoyed being a little up and seeing my name.  I stupidly told my siblings and they snitched on me.  I felt more sad about lying then my punishment (which was mild) And I thought next time I would do I with permission and things would be great.   You also asked what graffiti meant to me.  Graffiti to me is an art form and a culture.  It is a way to express yourself and  and get your anger out.  It is a way to connect people and make friends, and it’s just really fun.  I don’t think I am ready to paint with spray in the streets.  My request to my parents was to do legal and illegal.  I would start by practicing on my plywood wall and doing stickers and marker tags in the street, then as I progressed I would do more

12 minutes ago, Ray40 said:

Thank you @One Man Banned, I infact, used to do marker tags for about a year, since around this time last year. I was inspired to graffiti by humorously, the movie spider man into spider verse.  In the movie when it showed him slapping stickers, sketching, and doing a piece.  I was almost instantly hooked.  I thought, that’s what I want to do.  I then watched  a lot of videos and read articles on graffiti to learn because of the lack of a scene in my neighborhood.  I took markers after practicing a tag and finding a name and started tagging in my town and in my neighborhood.  I did not care much for the being famous part or being in crews.  I just enjoyed being a little up and seeing my name.  I stupidly told my siblings and they snitched on me.  I felt more sad about lying then my punishment (which was mild) And I thought next time I would do I with permission and things would be great.   You also asked what graffiti meant to me.  Graffiti to me is an art form and a culture.  It is a way to express yourself and  and get your anger out.  It is a way to connect people and make friends, and it’s just really fun.  I don’t think I am ready to paint with spray in the streets.  My request to my parents was to do legal and illegal.  I would start by practicing on my plywood wall and doing stickers and marker tags in the street, then as I progressed I would do more

I asked what you thought you were missing out on by not doing illegal stuff.

Re: stickers and legal/illegal, stickers kind of walk a fine line and might be easier to get away with from a parental point of view.  Might also be a good testing ground for how things like tags might be received later.  Tons of people do stickers, including people not in graf who just want to advertise/get their name out, street team advertising and such.  So I think people are possibly a little more used to it and thus slightly less bothered by it.  Also the where.  You put up a sticker on the front of a sign and people are more likely to view it as defacing it.  You put your sticker on the back of the sign, the sign keeps its function and you get your name up/seen.  

Can't state this enough- DO NOT tell people who you are and what you do.  Look at Spider Man Homecoming since you like Spidey, his big mouf friend, that's what happens in graf.

Will also point out it's great your mom/parents give a shit.  Many of ours did not and there's a difference.

Fuck I didn't grow up but I have matured some.

• Like 1
  • Props 1