Toys post here...

swif1

Here's another lesson.

what to do:

98357166.jpg

Now, I did this rather fast because I just wanted to get it out there. I expect you to spend a lot more time and actually try to make everything look good.

Basically what I did with this is looked at different fonts and tried to copy them. Notice I am using close to the full page. None of this one small ass attempt on a big ass piece of paper. Use everything. If all you want to try for awhile is one type of font, good. I encourage that. I used different fonts here just to show you different types of things you should attempt.

what not to do:

98357150.jpg

Yeah. I seriously want to stop seeing that shit above.

300 crews around your piece doesn't mean shit to anyone. We all know more than half of those are 1 man crews.. you aren't fooling anyone but yourself. "graff is life" or "graff is art" or "fuck tha police". NO. You will stop writing such retarded shit near anything you do. It's stupid. really fucking stupid. Never dedicate your shit to a girl unless she is your wife.

and of course, STOP TRYING TO ADD A BUNCH OF RANDOM SHIT ONTO YOUR LETTERS THAT DO NOT BELONG THERE. FOR FUCKS SAKE.

ok.

Ok. This is what I want to see from now on. I'm trying to technically take over this thread and help you kids out.

If you post something and I ask you to do something, such as make it simpler or no colors and you don't do it by your next post, you wont be getting any help from me from that point on.

If you don't do what I ask it shows me you don't actually want to improve, you just want people to say "oh you're not all that toy." Chances are if you think you might belong in this thread, you do.

I'm here to help you, but if you show me you don't want help, you wont be helped.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Shone -

Stop trying to make your letters look "graffiti" Just try to draw letters... do not try to give them "style" yet.

Simply try to understand the letter. How one bar connects to another. Don't put anything extra on your letters. Just straight as fuck letters. Also, look at my last post and fuck around with fonts like I was doing. It helps you understand your letters more and is one of the ways I used to improve.

Originally posted by shone@May 28 2005, 05:21 PM

the leader

im not trying to sound like a prick but i didnt try to make em look like graff i just sketched em in like a minute but ill try to take ur advice

Nah you obviously don't understand what I meant.

That circular shit on the bottom right of your h, that bar that comes up on the bottom end of your s and the bar on the top of the s.

To explain further, look at this s--

S

Notice it is just the basics of the letter s. There are no extra bars that do not belong there. Right now all you want to go for is for people to be able to read your shit and not look away in disgust at how hideous you attempted to make your letters look.

Originally posted by The Leader@Mar 29 2005, 10:27 PM

Alright, here we go.

Make all of your bars the same size at all points.

ex:

|¯|

|_|

That would be an "i" .. I'm not going to do letters that are harder than that

right now, because I'm not getting paid. Notice how it looks good. A nice

straight bar. Now, this can be done with diagonals too of course

ex:

./¯/

/_/

And a mix of the two is fine as well.

ex:

|¯|

/_/

You aren't exactly ready for the mix of the 2 or the diagonal yet, I just

threw them out there for future reference.

Now, check this out, I'm going to do with these exampes, what you are

doing with your letters

/¯/

|_\

Now, that shit is ugly. Stop doing shit like that.

Here's another example lesson.

3d goes like this:

|¯¯¯¯|¯|

|____|_|

This gives you the perspective of being on the right of the object.

ex2:

|¯¯¯¯|

|____|

|____|

This gives you the perspective of being on the bottom of the object.

(work with me here, I have a limited medium)

When you get further down the line and understand how to work

perspectives better you can fuck around a bit, but for now your 3d only

goes in one direction. be it up, down, left, right, b, a or start.

That's about all I have to say other than what I'm about to say.

That sentence was useless, and so is this one, but I'm not deleting

them.

Go simpler. See the font I used in the picture. Try to mimic those letters.

And as I've said before, GET FONTS. FONTS ARE YOUR FRIEND. Print the

fonts out and study these fucking things. Draw them 100 times over

until you are sick of them. And NO, you will not be able to add extra

shit after 5 more attempts at drawing your word.

Ouch! like TheLeader, keep your letters legible and simple. That is a throwy therefore it should be simple, the more you add to it the more you mess it up. Here is a little example for you to see:

simplesafe.jpg

Very simple as you can see. I would suggest you try to get these steps down. I edited out the last 2 so you dont get 2 carried away

Originally posted by The Leader+May 29 2005, 12:52 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Leader - May 29 2005, 12:52 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-The Leader@Mar 29 2005, 10:27 PM

Now, check this out, I'm going to do with these exampes, what you are

doing with your letters

/¯/

|_\

Now, that shit is ugly. Stop doing shit like that.

[/b]

:haha: :haha:

You have the right idea with the top one. remember, don't be afraid to sketch out a letter. You can make lines that follow your designated path a lot easier when you make 1/2 inch strokes instead of one full stroke. Smaller than 1/2 inch is good too.

Keep in mind that you still want your bars to be the same size. I also suggest you start with simpler fonts than what I used. I say this because you need to inderstand how a chisled tip (read: calligraphy) style pen works, and right now you should just work on understanding basic letter structure.

I'm not sure how old you are (I am guessing not out of grade school yet, as I'm sure is the case for most in this thread) but consider taking a caligraphy course or an art course over the summer (yeah I know school sucks yadda yadda). There's also handwriting courses that teach you how to understand lettering better so your hand writing comes out more legible... which is something a lot of people can use.

The more you understand about a letter, the more you will be able to tweak it and add more bars to it.

I'm sort of tired so excuse any grammatical/spelling errors. Good night.

Haha..pen15 crew.

Heck- do real quick, short strokes for your letters at the moment, or you'll get unnecessary kinks/bubbly spots in your letters like the "E" and "K" in the top picture. Do it in pencil, and never be afraid to erase.

Fix up your hand while you're at it...I've saw people make decent pieces out of copying their hand when it's legible. However, just stick to the fonts idea.

Originally posted by freakeenyc+May 17 2005, 08:06 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (freakeenyc - May 17 2005, 08:06 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-freakeenyc@May 10 2005, 11:17 PM

1214xh.jpg

1228vq.jpg

1237zb.jpg

changed my name to EFK since freak is taken.....is this simple...feedback?

aite any other feed back then changing my name to elf..lol.

heres a new one.

hitch0084fq.jpg

sorry bout size.

[/b]

thanks in advance leader.

1214xh.jpg

This one is excellent. Continue to work with letters like these. All of your other letters were sub-par in my opinion. Also, do not forget to go back and read the last page. Anything I say to anyone applies to everyone and I gave some pretty sound advice on the last page.

And on the last one you posted, I don't know if that black blob is supposed to be your 3d, but it definately isn't working. Were you trying to do the sucked in 3d? If so remember that it all has to end at a certain point I'll do a lesson on this at some point. But for now, stay away from the letters you were trying in this thing, you aren't quite ready for them yet.