IRAK CREW CLOTHING

The Hipster

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest imported_b0b
Originally posted by Misteraven@Dec 7 2004, 10:41 PM

maybe basquiat did suck, maybe not. considering he rarely has pieces for sale on the open market, and buying one by making an offer on one in a private collection is gonna cost hundreds of thousands of dollars (if not millions), i'm not even sure it's subjective to comment on his talent.

Come on Raven surely you understand that value, or worth, is not an indication of talent! That is why the art world is so crazy.

*edit* Tesseract dealt with this much better then me. I should really read the thread fully before replying in future. */edit*

Guest imported_b0b
Originally posted by ohjeez@Dec 8 2004, 12:44 AM

yo, there are entirely too many names and pictures floating around on this thread. Somebody needs to jump in and do something about it. They may be designers or whatever, but they still paint (at least some of them...a little), so it's best to keep that shit confidential.

Who is this someone and what should they do?

Also they aren't designers, that is what about half a page of posts alludes to.

You are obviously well meaning, but your post was pointless as it already been discussed on page 1.

i always forget how much i like gingerbread, then christmas time rolls around and i remember again.

if anything, i think basquiat proved that talent is irrelivent in the face of egomaniacle (seemingly unfounded) confidence. if you act like you're the shit and anything you do is the greatest thing ever, there are a good portion of people who will go along with you simply because they don't want to be behind the times or out of the loop. remember 'cant buy me love'? basquiat is the ronald miller of the pop art world.

seeks/that was funny.

so..... what you're saying is that someone (I'm guessing Warhol) spilt a glass of red wine on the art world's suede dress and basquait payed for the cleaning?

that scene in the airplane graveyard was kind of cool.

oh... this just reminded me opf a tread I was going to make in ch.zes.... zero.

Originally posted by seeking@Dec 8 2004, 04:18 PM

i always forget how much i like gingerbread, then christmas time rolls around and i remember again.

if anything, i think basquiat proved that talent is irrelivent in the face of egomaniacle (seemingly unfounded) confidence. if you act like you're the shit and anything you do is the greatest thing ever, there are a good portion of people who will go along with you simply because they don't want to be behind the times or out of the loop. remember 'cant buy me love'? basquiat is the ronald miller of the pop art world.

seeks/that was funny.

hahaha

yeah that is totally valid!

good point as well!

Originally posted by Misteraven@Dec 8 2004, 09:05 PM

i think this discussion is getting too deep. bottom line is anyone can take a shot at making loot. whether people actually buy into it or not will decide how worthy the venture is. but you can't knock someone for trying.

if this discussion is too 'deep', then it is so only in comparison to the shallowness of the product.

no one is knocking them for trying, or even knocking basquait, we're simply questioning the motives of the people who pay exorbinate amounts of money for items that are largely hype.

also, there is the fact that 'writers' are not really the target audience here...atleast not 'real' writers that put in work. this stuff is for hip, scenester 'culture vultures'...if IRAK can put one over on them and make a buck, they've certainly earned that right and i aint mad at them, but ive also earned the right to question those heartless fucks who want to look cool and dick ride on some shit they don't belong to, simply to look 'edgy'.

also, work is really fucking boring and theoretical arguments are wonderful time wasters.

Guest Good Morning Captain

My favorite thing about this thread is the dude that was like "Those skulls are biting Giant. Giant could do those skulls better!" and then come to find out that Giant did those skulls.

From every thing I have read and seen about irak aren’t they hipsters as well as writers?

isit possible to coincide with live a graffiti life style and also actively be involved with fashion show parties and clothing lines?

Is andre a writer or a hipster because of his involement with Bape?

Or the fact that he produces clothing as well as being one of the most well recognised Parisian writers

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by Good Morning Captain@Dec 9 2004, 04:42 PM

My favorite thing about this thread is the dude that was like "Those skulls are biting Giant. Giant could do those skulls better!" and then come to find out that Giant did those skulls.

Your favorite part of this thread would be me then, cant blame you,but the point still remains if you read through carefully.

If those are giants skulls tattooed on dudes chest then they're the worse giant skulls i've seen. I aint lying, go check his website and tell me about it.

Secondly, if those are giants skulls, and irak crew used them for a tshirt of their own its weak. For two reasons, one is stated above- they dont reach the quality giant usually has- and two, because if you're such a notorious crew i'd expect to come off with your own designs for your shirts rather than the worst giant skulls and some cheap barbara kruger bite.

I stay on my initial view, more power to them for trying to make the more they can, the i rak ny is a dope tshirt considering their thing, and i hold the right to critisize what i see in terms of nice/bad, cheap/classy without even being a hater.

Originally posted by Tesseract@Dec 9 2004, 06:43 PM

Secondly, if those are giants skulls, and irak crew used them for a tshirt of their own its weak. .

I do agree with you on this. The focus is obviously not on originality or design. The bottom line is selling a tshirt for money.

Originally posted by Good Morning Captain+Dec 9 2004, 08:36 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Good Morning Captain - Dec 9 2004, 08:36 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Tesseract@Dec 9 2004, 06:43 PM

Secondly, if those are giants skulls, and irak crew used them for a tshirt of their own its weak. .

I do agree with you on this. The focus is obviously not on originality or design. The bottom line is selling a tshirt for money.

[/b]

my take on it is like this:

IRAK is not the best crew out there. they are simply the most notorious right now. no one can truly believe that they are the most talented...so why should they have extravegant designs then?

i think their t-shirts are congruent to their graff- make it bold, recognisable, and (god willing) just as ubiquitous. also- i think this represents getting over on people in the literal sense- a bunch of tags with legs roaming around the city as free fame (advertising.). as if racking shit and bombing the fuck out of NY is not enough.

i am not promoting their designs, or choice to make t-shirts, it just makes a lot of sense to me.

and finally, it can be gathered that a few of the members of Irak are set and have nothing to worry about. why then would they try to make money off selling t- shirts?

Originally posted by steelchef@Dec 10 2004, 12:29 AM

and finally, it can be gathered that a few of the members of Irak are set and have nothing to worry about. why then would they try to make money off selling t- shirts?

so your implying that someone with a couple of dollars shouldnt be motivated to make more? Thats just silly.

personally, i think it makes perfect sense that they would just rip off other peoples designs. as steelchef said, irak has never been known for talent (outside of earsnots hand perhaps). they're known for whyling out and not giving a fuck....which is inline with the designs.

whatever, i aint mad at them. actually im glad they do shit like this, it makes it way easier for me to laugh at dumb ass white bitches who spend $65 on a tshirt.

they're known for a lot more than that. most kids in that crew simply crush shit. sace and earsnot are most talked about, but many others including sperm, fanta, year, zer, and kent have tore up manhattan pretty thoroughly as well. it's a sick pace to keep up, but you still can't go to too many places in nyc and not see sace and/or earsnot (or at least irak) up somehow (usually huge sloppy krink tags or throwups). when you consider what a relatively short period of time they did this in, it's pretty impressive from a bombing point of view. as far as talent... that depends what your looking at. they don't really piece, they don't really do galleries, but as far as bombing... i'd say sace and earsnot have definately written their chapter in graffiti history whether you like their shit or not. beyond that, most kids in that crew are personalities. it's been a long time since writers transcended into becoming street celebrities, and the kids in that crew seem to have an affinity for it. they're arguably the poster children for the lower east side, and show up to most events like rock stars. for the most part, they get treated like so as well. how many other writers get asked to be in photo spreads from so many magazines ranging from graff to culture to fashion? clearly they found their niche and are juicing it for all it's worth or we wouldn't be talking about them.

also the shirts are $28 last i saw which is about average, if not slightly below average, in cost for a tee shirt in nyc these days.

yeah, but $28 isnt that much. i needed to exagerate in order to prove my (futile) point.

i like year's graff. dude is sweet.

i was looking at some pd&c t shirts yesterday. $44 dollars and the damn thing looked like it was sewn inside out. it was pretty damn soft though. but fuck that, i'll just sew my own.

Considering Ear Snot went from being homeless and sleeping on trains, to this, I got the utmost respect...I mean NYC is a dog eat dog place, going from living off of stealing, to making clothing based on your crew, WHY NOT????Im gonna assume, Snot didnt even put up his own money to do this, someon probably begged him to do this....People are also forgetting that dudes like SEMZ, CINIK,REMO etc, were pretty much all city...A lot more people are down with IRAK then you know..SACE is one of the most dedicated writers ive ever met...I watched him litteraly hang off a 10 story building with nothing holding him up, to catch tags...SEMEN is one of the funniest most down to earth people ive ever met, or at least he used to be...I used to chill with them all the time, and Snots raking skills are mindblowing...Wed be standing outside a store, and hed literally take orders for what people wanted, and come outside with his pockets bulging....I could go on and on...As far as the celebrity status stuff, i kind of never liked all that bullshit, but people jocked the hell out of them...So fuck it...