Photoshop Thread

Tribal_Man

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buncha art critics on here, yes?

Never went to design school, which would appear to be obvious by my lack of talent that you so thoughtfully pointed out.

It's a bit more than what you listed, but yes, all those things were involved. Do you "real" designers never do things just for shits and giggles anymore?

I'm dying on the inside due to your comments, really.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4651271335_7778c452cd.jpg

at first glance i like it.

second glance-

a little more texture in the "your life"

make the background fade to dark more fluid so i cant really tell where one color ends and another begins.

when parts of letters are connected and they change color as soon as the new letter starts, it really erks me. this is a personal preference i'm sure, so i dont think you need to listen to that.

aside from that, never being a designer but paying attention to shit for my entire life, i'm a fan of what you did here.

• Like 1

^ For some reason I want to put a woodgrain texture in the background of this. Cross-section of a tree's rings...something in the background that adds more interest.

I do like the alignment of the text, however it is approaching the fine line of "I can't read that shit" Maybe a bit more kerning between the letters...or not.

/2centsoner

n44495498749_6876.jpg

i finally got photoshop,and is hoping anyone

would like to share some tips on how you learned

the program(private lessons,school,books,youtube tuts etc)

and if you have any basic tips for making your photos look better?

1. sharpness(how much)

2. hue n saturation(exact amount)

3. brightness

and learn Photomerge for collage walls?

any help is very much appriciated!

tx

n44495498749_6876.jpg

i finally got photoshop,and is hoping anyone

would like to share some tips on how you learned

the program(private lessons,school,books,youtube tuts etc)

and if you have any basic tips for making your photos look better?

1. sharpness(how much)

2. hue n saturation(exact amount)

3. brightness

and learn Photomerge for collage walls?

any help is very much appriciated!

tx

honestly... just play around with it to get familiar with the tools.... google some tutorials and follow them to help you learn the basics (thats all school is anyway).....

i taught myself how to use it with ver 6 or 7 while designing a friends cd cover about 10 yrs ago.... it took me 3 weeks and i could probably do the entire thing in less than an hour now.... one of the best ways to get faster/more efficient with it is keyboard shortcuts..... almost every tool and/or function has one, plus you can customize em (under the 'edit' menu)....

a lot of the photo editing shit youre askin about is under the image>adjustments menu..... i would suggest making a duplicate layer (ctrl+j) of the original before you start editting so you dont have to undo (ctrl+z) every edit to get back to where you started... as far as photo editing specifics im not the one to ask b/c most of what i do with PS is from scratch.....

im kinda buzzy right now so i prolly just rambled on and didnt say much, but i have had my head buried in PS for a while now so if there are any questions i might be able to answer just ask.....

-JB

Yeah, I learned the same way ballbags did. I had to make flyers for friends events about 6 years ago, and I ended up doing it for a living. IMO, the best way to learn is to have something to do. When I had nothing going on, I would try to re-do my favorite album covers. As long as there was a subject and some text to work with, you'll have plenty.

yeah man.....

having a project to complete is definitely the best way to learn.... give yourself 'assignments' and complete them.....

any 'how to' book or even formal classes basically work the same way....

also just open a jpg of a photo and just fuck w all the tools 1 by 1 to get a feel for what they all do...

look at other peoples work that youre into and try to break down how they did it and recreate it.....

start small..... dont overwhelm yourself.... it seems like theres a ton of shit to learn but you will eventually pick your fav 5 or 6 tools and only use the other here and there...... almost every PS newbie gets filter happy as a phase, but you will grow out of that quick (if you even hit that phase), especially knowing how much raw talent you have, B.......

one spot i frequented for a time for tips, tricks, and tuts is creativebits.org ....... i cant recall an other specific ones right now, but i will post any that come to mind.... i spent/spend a shit ton of time just googling specific tuts based on any project im working on.....

theres really no substitute for burying your nose in your keyboard for 8 hours at a time when it comes to learning PS (or any design s/w for that matter)....its a matter of dedication and reps...theres no secret formula......

i have wasted more hours than i care to think of just staring at other peoples shit....

shiniybinary.com is a pretty fresh site that always inspires me.....

also check out brianlife.com for some fresh work.....

if youre really tryina get serious with it i would look into a wacom tablet..... i have a 9" x 12" intuos that i could not live without.....

...../more buzzy rambling....

//JB

I'm self taught on photoshop, best place to look is youtube now for video tutorials.

I had CS3 pretty much down but recently upgraded to CS5, youtube had everything I needed to learn for free.

Plus it's better to watch a variety of techniques than just learn one way to do things.

I will say this though, alot of talk in here is based around graphic design, letters, font's and stuff like that.

Illustrator is much better for graphics and typography, photoshop does have some of those features built in but it's best for just working with photo's.

If you really want to do design work I'd suggest learning illustrator also.

Thanks for all the feedback. Here are a couple new things.

rant2.jpg

4911813046_cd55510d9a_z.jpg

these are pretty nice BUT is this a existing typeface that you stretched or a free font?

either way, it looks really bad and makes the rest of the poster look amateur. look into classic/well designed type families (ie; knockout, din, garage gothic, interstate, trade gothic, univers, etc.)

these are pretty nice BUT is this a existing typeface that you stretched or a free font?

either way, it looks really bad and makes the rest of the poster look amateur. look into classic/well designed type families (ie; knockout, din, garage gothic, interstate, trade gothic, univers, etc.)

Existing typeface. Taller evolution. I would never stretch a typeface more than 5-10%, and thats IF I would do it at all.

I think he said he hasnt gone to school and didnt really care for specific techniques of design.

This.

And yes, I'm not the best out there. Just a humble dude who is glad he gets to do this for a living.