Photoshop Thread

Tribal_Man

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no offense to anyone, because i've been meaning to make this rant for a while....

i just learned about brushes a couple weeks ago. within 4 minutes, i already hated both them and 50% of the 'design' that i used to think was cool. that shit is such a fucking cop out IMO, it's disgusting. i know no one will agree with me, and i dont expect them too, but the shit is just too easy. i downloaded about 100 brushes one night, opened up a blank document and just went through testing them all on top of eachother. half an hour later i had an image that looked exactly like all the hot 'graphic design' now a days, and was nothing but test scribbles. it made me so sad. being a 'designer' used to mean something, now, every fucking starbucks employee is a designer.

i know i'm way more 'hardcore' in my principles than i need to be, but i just cant help it. everything is already done for you now a days, all you gotta do is ptu the pieces together (and theres not even some esoteric science to that).

that font right above this for instance...isn't that the same font atreyu used? lameeeeeeee. motherfuckers (myself included) need to start making their own fonts and their own brushes, not just searching for distressed fonts and 'grunge' brushes. grunge was played out in 95 and it's played out in 05. i love fonts like that, but after downloading 75 of them, now every time i look at a bands logo, i just cringe, knowing that what looked like it took some time to actually make, was done in 7 keystrokes. :( it's fucking image plagarism IMO (image meaning a bands 'image', not image as in 'picture').

this is NOT a personal attack estrogen, the stuff you posted all looks really good, and had i seen it a month ago, i'd have jocked it, but now i just cant. now that i realize that stuff like that can be thrown together in literally under minutes.... i dont know...i just cant fuck with it. i went through this same sort of 'epiphany' with photography a year or two ago and have never really recovered since. everything is just too fucking easy now a days, i hate it. integrity is at an all time low (and still sliding). :(

again, i want to point out that im not attacking anyone in here. im attacking the entire graphic design world. shit is played out and motherfuckers are lazy. hell, i'm lazy, but i'd rather be lazy and not contribute to the downfall of standards, than keep tossing in my 2 cents that i've painted to look like dimes. no thanks.

seeks[/rant]

dope. i'm glad you're doing it yourself, but then that raises the question... if you're not just rocking other peoples brushes, why make brushes that look exactly like everyone elses?

i know it's kind of unfair of me to question other people without presenting some insanely original work of my own, but i think the question is still valid anyway. i mean, dont get me wrong, i like your stuff, but it's pretty cliche, ya know? vector images...bold, clashing colors, distressed grungy looking brushes and fonts?

i dont know, i just want to see something that's different for a change.

well that would make you famous. you come up with something new and see what happens. to tell you the truth its incredibly hard to be original. esp with design. for me its not the fact that it has to be original. its what i like. i dont do it for a living its just a past time.

i havent made anything in photoshop in years.

partially it's laziness, partially it's lack of time, and partially it's the fact that until i come up with something original, i'm not gonna bother pounding nails into the coffin of design. infact, it's not even just photoshop, i'm not nearly as productive in any avenue, simply because i refuse to allow myself to cover the same ground thats been done 1000x's before, just so i have something in that genre. maybe thats dumb of me, but i dont really care. i just know that i'd rather do oil changes for a living than use a dear/cowboy/mountain scene or any other contrived, tired image that i see every single time i look at a 'design' site. a few years ago it was all 3d robots and interstellar digital space scopes, now it's all 70's and 80's kitsch or emo screen print nonsense. it's just the usual cycle of things i guess...one decade pushes things into the future, the next rebels and reaches back to the decade prior. it's happened over and over, so it's not surprising that it's happening now, i just dont care to be a part of it.

estrogen,

i know it's hard to be original, but why try to be the same? i'm not gonna start nit picking, cause i'm absolutly not trying to pick on you. your stuff is fine for what it is, but don't you get what i'm saying? all of those images look like myspace banner ads, ya know?

whatever, all of this is just my opinion. i'm not at all trying to pretend like i'm 'right', or that there even is a 'right'. it's just the way i look at things, presented so maybe someone thinks about it. maybe next time estrogen does something, he'll say 'wait, how about instead of using this photo of a tree for a brush, instead i use_________' or 'instead of just using this distressed font that every other indy rock kid is using, i'll take helvetica and combine it with bits and pieces of times, rasterize, mask, erase, filter, etc, and make my own dope font that no one else has'.

just sayin.

there are a lot of "cool" images but next to content.

Graphic design and illuistration by nature are useless if the message is lost in the design process. SO what seperates the work in the style seeking is talking about is the content. Beyond looking good the effective design using it is successful because the message/content/idea is clear and aided by the design.

seeking, you said you haven't made anything photoshop in years. remember that picture of yours that was a handle on a boxcar? it had your name photorealistically 'engraved' on it. yellow, rust, and blue colors. shit was sick. that was a destructive piece of photoshop if i do say so myself.

hey, this is seeking (i know it doesnt look like it, but trust me, it is).

i didnt do anything 'destructive' to that, it was just a photo i took, then used photoshop to give the illusion of my name being molded into the metal. it was a pretty good job if i do say so myself, considering i learned it as i did it, but whatever. i'll post it later when i get back to my computer.

oh, and for the record, mesthree is a big fan of brushes. she loves them. cant fucking get enough of them. she dreams about them and shit. it's bananas. she really loves the ones made out of maple leaves, cause she's canadian, and they're predisposed to liking stuff like that. it's in their genes. (like hocke....and beavers).

Thanks for that seeking. I agree with you whole-heartedly.

Is the importance of style that's as much a part of graffiti as paint itself not as important in other forms of artwork? If graphic designers (vs. graphic artists) are infact not artists, then does it have to be that way? Are the people that employ these graphic designers not concerned with that designer's own creative touch? Why can't every graphic designer be a graphic artist?

I see many trends in computer art, scan lines, and those little honeycomb-like bunches of hexagons, to name a few. Same old fonts, alot of the same color schemes. Whats with that? Even something as simple as expanding on one font that already exists, much like a writer might expand on one letter style and eventually find his own, would make a world of difference. How about some curved lines instead of those same old straight scan lines? There's so much more than could be done, I don't understand why people play themselves to the same old bullshit

Even with a lot more kids getting into writing nowadays, graffiti could be seen as a rather esoteric artform when compared to something like graphic design, but I'm assuming the two artforms are roughly the same age. Graphic design could be seen as though it's progressing at a faster rate, with more people involved overall, more people developing software (as opposed to people developing paint I guess, when it mes to graff?), schools willing to teach people to use the software. Can't go to art school and get some sort of degree in graffiti writing. But when it comes down to it, who wouldn't say graffiti is progressing faster artisti�Ccally, with all this trendy stagnation in graphic art.

I seem to be rambling here, and have gone way off topic from the original post (I started that way, actually), but I guess what I'm trying to get at is uhmm... if graffiti somehow became more lucrative and 'useful,' would the progression of styles grow stagnant (One might argue that this is already happening, or event that it's already happened, but I don't see that.) like seems to be happening/have happened with graphic design? When things like Marc Ecko's 'Getting Up' and graffiti rugs pop up, does the progression of our artform take a beating?

Originally posted by seeking@Dec 17 2004, 01:46 PM

no offense to anyone, because i've been meaning to make this rant for a while....

i just learned about brushes a couple weeks ago. within 4 minutes, i already hated both them and 50% of the 'design' that i used to think was cool. that shit is such a fucking cop out IMO, it's disgusting. i know no one will agree with me, and i dont expect them too, but the shit is just too easy. i downloaded about 100 brushes one night, opened up a blank document and just went through testing them all on top of eachother. half an hour later i had an image that looked exactly like all the hot 'graphic design' now a days, and was nothing but test scribbles. it made me so sad. being a 'designer' used to mean something, now, every fucking starbucks employee is a designer.

i know i'm way more 'hardcore' in my principles than i need to be, but i just cant help it. everything is already done for you now a days, all you gotta do is ptu the pieces together (and theres not even some esoteric science to that).

that font right above this for instance...isn't that the same font atreyu used? lameeeeeeee. motherfuckers (myself included) need to start making their own fonts and their own brushes, not just searching for distressed fonts and 'grunge' brushes. grunge was played out in 95 and it's played out in 05. i love fonts like that, but after downloading 75 of them, now every time i look at a bands logo, i just cringe, knowing that what looked like it took some time to actually make, was done in 7 keystrokes. :( it's fucking image plagarism IMO (image meaning a bands 'image', not image as in 'picture').

this is NOT a personal attack estrogen, the stuff you posted all looks really good, and had i seen it a month ago, i'd have jocked it, but now i just cant. now that i realize that stuff like that can be thrown together in literally under minutes.... i dont know...i just cant fuck with it. i went through this same sort of 'epiphany' with photography a year or two ago and have never really recovered since. everything is just too fucking easy now a days, i hate it. integrity is at an all time low (and still sliding). :(

again, i want to point out that im not attacking anyone in here. im attacking the entire graphic design world. shit is played out and motherfuckers are lazy. hell, i'm lazy, but i'd rather be lazy and not contribute to the downfall of standards, than keep tossing in my 2 cents that i've painted to look like dimes. no thanks.

seeks[/rant]

case in point:

reason2.jpg

done in an hour n a 1/2 for someone...

Actually what gets me is the filter junkies w/photoshop. :rolleyes:

haha. i visited this one site that hd a load of 'tech brushes' and i made a pic that i post on page one making fun of that one cat who was using them...i made it in under 10 minutes...rendering in 3dsm and then post 'production' in photopoop 8,...it was so damn easy....anyhow, i was ssayin what seeks was saying, but shorter and sweeter. a pic follow by how long it took me.

making your own brushes is where's it's at, as long as you don'tgive them away. someone will copy you eventually...

for me they are nice to look at but fall flat because its all glitz and now content. day or hours no content= no content. relating shapes to words in attempt to create a dialogue when theres no clear connection to the words and the images, is useless if your point to communicate a message, other then confusion.

Originally posted by nopes@Dec 11 2004, 01:16 PM

you can record an ACTION so you just have to click once to size each photo

- go to ACTIONS pallet - in menu click new action - then record - go through the proces of sizing one image- click stop button - then all you gotta do is select each photo and play that same ACTION

-or go to file>atomate>batch and do em all at once

it helps to name youre action too

you can use this for any long procces that you want to do repetedly

-word

this was very helpful! great for resizing many images etc

yo maple leaves rule. And if there was an igloo brush out there I would be jocking that too.

Brushes are cool if you understand the fact that using them doesn't make you a good designer. They are a tool. When I need to get some shit done fast they are great. I am completely aware that I am not creating something groundbreaking or original...and why not? Cause... I don't get paid enough to do that. I don't have time to make every single thing I create a masterpiece of originality. I have to pick and choose. Its hard sometimes when you make images for a living. I want to make everything I do for a client or otherwise a work of art but there is only so much time in the day. Its always a struggle when you have to balance artistic integrity with paying the rent.

heavylox needs to use the 'spell check/grammar' brush.

estrogen,

personally, that image does pretty much nothing for me, but i respect the fact that atleast it took effort (even if it is slightly cliche). i'm not saying everything has to be super original, obviously thats impossible, but it seems that things have gotten to the point where all anyone does is copy eachother. it's probably always been like that since the begining of graphic design, but now a days it seems like people have more ego about it or something. also, 'back in the day', even if you bit, you still needed a certain amount of inherent talent, now a days you just need rudimentary hand-eye cordination. not quite the same.

i'm not trying to take the wind out of anyone's sails. if someone is happy and content with what they're doing, then i'd hate to ruin it for them, i'm just sharing my opinions.

mes33.3,

dont worry, your RA illustration is totally exempt from any and all criticism. ha. the difference between that and some of the stuff here, is that you used brushes to compliment the central figure, not as the central figure. plus, yours totally made sense with the image and story. on top of that, you're a girl, thus held to the 'good for a girl' standard, which much like push ups and playing catch, carries a much lower level of expectation.

did you try a google search? i think 1001freefonts.com had a link to a site that had some at one point.

i didnt even think that you might be doing it on purpose though. you're right, it did give it an earthy, 'back to the roots' kind of feel. very 'ethnic', like african voo doo masks on dentist office walls!