I think I'm getting shafted

bodice_ripper

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

coming from europe right?

That's not a bad price at all.

And besides, you travel with friends and experiences

like that cant really be beat. Ask Sneak what he thinks,

he also did the NY trip a while ago. He even posted a thread.

you assume I travel with friends. nice people, but not easy to stomach for more than three hours. Last time we went somewhere, there was hospital grade alcohol poisoning and six stitches on the first night. I'm sure it sound cool but it isn't.

anyway, I'm thinking of headin to germany and the czech republic for that money.

Guest imported_b0b

Trouble with flights to NY is that booking in advance = high prices, whilst going last minute or unpopular flights = low prices. My wife & I were looking into going to NY as we had seen flights for £180 return, but when you find a time you want to go it is more like £450. Add in hotels in NY being expensive (as they are in any major city) and your price seems about the going rate. I wouldn't say it was a bargain, but if you looked into booking the very same trip yourself (ie same flight and hotel) it would doubtless be more expensive.

wow, random chance i passed by here.

i went with a college group of 18 + 2 teachers. if i can remeber right, it was around £500 for flights and hotels. we went for 4days, 5nites and stayed slap bang next to the empire state building. if you ask me, it was good value. well worth it. new york rocks.

Originally posted by sneak@Nov 21 2004, 10:48 PM

wow, random chance i passed by here.

i went with a college group of 18 + 2 teachers. if i can remeber right, it was around £500 for flights and hotels. we went for 4days, 5nites and stayed slap bang next to the empire state building. if you ask me, it was good value. well worth it. new york rocks.

now, if it were a hotel, not a hostel, I'd be ok with the asking price

I've come to the conclusion we are indeed being shafted, perhaps to pay for the lecturers accomodation in an upmarket hotel. Either way, I can't afford it anyway at this point.

bollox

Guest imported_b0b
Originally posted by bodice_ripper@Nov 22 2004, 02:14 PM

now, if it were a hotel, not a hostel, I'd be ok with the asking price

I've come to the conclusion we are indeed being shafted, perhaps to pay for the lecturers accomodation in an upmarket hotel. Either way, I can't afford it anyway at this point.

bollox

Probably to cover the ocst of group insurance so if any of you sue them afterwards they won't be screwed.

Just FYI......

NEVER travel to the US without Insurace.

My mom almost killed me the last time I did that.

Let's just say I got hit by a drunk driver in the US without insurace.

It would be SO expensive that BOTH my parents would have to

morgage their homes to cover it.

so yeah.. get insurace. It's oly like $100 for the whole trip.

Originally posted by bodice_ripper@Nov 19 2004, 02:14 PM

my class are heading to New York from 7 to the 12 of march

We are being told flights and accomodation in a 6 person dorm in hostel for 740 euros (963.868 USD), and are assured its a steal. I think we are getting fucked. any one experienced in this sort of thing?

flight and accomodation, that's decent.

you could probably do a little bit better if you spent months looking.

nyc is one of the most expensive cities in the entire world.

very very expensive.

if you are planning on going to museums, expect admission prices of $15-$20

well that's cool that you found something cheaper so fast (i'm sure the winter makes it cheaper too)

in manhattan there's few places for less than $90 a night (at a hotel)

that sucks that you guys couldn't get a better "group rate"

if you are serious about this kind of travelling, you should think about putting out a line around here.

you might be surprised that some people would be willing to let you crash on their sofa.

that was the only way i could travel the first few times i did overseas stuff.

package deals through internet sites are also good ways to get better deals, i have no idea how that works as far as getting TO the u.s. though

try flying in and out of london perhaps, or amsterdam, somewhere thats not too far by ryanair standards. ive always done that flying into europe, fly into london, out of frankfurt or wherevers cheaper. or somewhere random like belgium, you can sometimes swing crazy cheap flights.

Guest imported_b0b

Hey exactly what does your price include? Any meals? Any entrance fees etc? I am real curious now. If it is an "all-inclusive" price that changes a whole lot of stuff.

Guest KING BLING

nyc is one of the most expensive cities in the entire world.

very very expensive.

if you are planning on going to museums, expect admission prices of $15-$20

Manhattan is expensive but can be done pretty cheap. The Met asks for a donation - don't. Other museums offer a free night, find out about it. Go to Chelsea which is where a lot of galleries are in close proximity and they are free and maybe you'll get lucky and come up on some free booze. I'll save my breath on other NY features since it doesn't seem like he is gonna go anyway...

SHE, and I probably will, I'll just go seperately from the college trip because I can't see a good reason to pay what there are paying

me and the girlfriend are looking at a package deal - 850 euro for flights and 7 nights in a three star hotel - which seems like a much better deal

- and I don't have to have the money as soon, either...