Those Capital One credit card commercials

Poop Man Bob

So the commercial is always some version of this: Bob/Jane wants to use their credit card, but Jane/Bob mentions how high the rates are. Cue wild viking men screaming and running at Bob and Jane with the intention of killing them. Bob/Jane then mentions that they're using the CapitalOne credit card with the low fixed rates, thus making the vikings stop at the last second. Splash the rates and credit card on the screen, then end it with a viking asking "What's in your wallet?"

I'm confused. What's the message here? That vikings will kill you if you use credit cards with high rates? That the rates are "killer?" That vikings are credit card rates?

Here's the idiotic opinion of an angry white female:

The admakers are hitting every negative stereotype they can, and deliberately targeting one race. Not one non-White tribe or non-White face to be found. No women "Barbarians" or mobsters either. No Jewish mob, no Mexican mafia, no raping and pillaging Asians or Africans. Only White males, the ludicrious inheritors of ludicrous traditions. I wonder why, in the era of overrepresentation of minorities, not one can be found on the "perpetrators" side, nor can our clever admakers come up with a single minority tradition worth poking fun at?

My conclusion is that Capital One is selling much more than credit cards ... They are selling defamation of ethnic Europeans. If they were not targeting the people and cultures of Europe, there would have been at least one non-White ethnic portrayal in their commercials. It used to be that American White males were the only target of corporate hatred. Now that White Americans are beginning to seek their roots, these corporate bandits are making sure they find ways to defame our ancestral cultures and attach negative sterotypes to those easily recognizeable White ethnics that are permitted to retain their heritage. They want us to believe 1) That our tribes accomplished nothing, only stole from others. 2) That Italians and Scandanavians are crimionally inclined. 3) That Keltic men are fat slobs in skirts.

Uhhh, no.

capital_one.gif

In summary: more like Crapital One. LOLOLOL

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

another fine example of why credit cards are A) bad and B) confusing as fuck.

i mean who reads that much into an advert? especially an american. a simple reading is that they are trying to appeal to their target audience - white america. now, white america doesnt like to see anything other than white america? get it?

Originally posted by oner@Nov 14 2004, 06:13 PM

I've got a capital one card. Not bad, for a credit card.

me too... i like it.

as for the commercials... they're basically just saying that unless you have Capital One you're gonna be killed by high interest rates, personified by angry mobs of vikings. that's advertising for ya... they managed to get the commercial stuck in your head if nothing else.

Originally posted by Herbivore+Nov 15 2004, 10:48 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Herbivore - Nov 15 2004, 10:48 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>as for the commercials... they're basically just saying that unless you have Capital One you're gonna be killed by high interest rates, personified by angry mobs of vikings. that's advertising for ya... they managed to get the commercial stuck in your head if nothing else.

[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-sarcasm@Nov 15 2004, 10:55 AM

commercials are made to make people think about a

product after is has been introduced through the commercial

itself. i say, it did its job...for you at least

True, but I won't get their card a) because I don't need it, and b) because the commercials make me want to stab my eyeballs with spoons.