"ID's for kids..just in case"

metallix

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Seems mildly paranoid, but I would worry about other things. It might be a tad bit over the top, but it's not like the school district is going to knock down these kids' bedroom doors in the middle of the night. This could be actually useful.

I would worry about our disappearing right to move about without the government knowing about it. There are security cameras recording our every move. The driver's license is becoming a form of national identification card (the federal government is trying to impose standards) akin to "papers" in fascist/bolshevist society. That's the kind of shit I worry about.

Nekro---ME TOO. I am very concerned about the proliferation of entities who feel entitled to record our personal information. Everybody on earth seems bound and determined to have every piece of information they can get on everybody with whom they come into contact.

The conservative right wing and the militia groups have been bitching loudly about this for a long time. I remember that I thought their concerns about the traffic cameras on the freeways were misplaced. Not any more. The police use video footage gathered through the traffic cameras in court now.

Have you ever noticed HOW MANY video cameras there are? Every transaction in every store, MacDonald's, banks, etc., etc. I saw a documentary about the Oklahoma City bombing, and they had like five or six video images of Timothy McVeigh shot within fifteen minutes of the bombing! Now, that's not a bad thing (since he killed 168 innocent people) but the fact that so many different cameras filmed him is astounding. One of the shots was taken by an apartment complex security camera, and showed the yellow Ryder truck less than ten minutes before the explosion. At that point, I think the fuse was actually already burning! Incredible.

And this was, mind you, not in New York or Chicago or Washington D.C., but Hicksville, Oklahoma. Imagine the number of video cameras taping one's daily movements in New York City.

Je-zuz. It boggles the mind.

Guest imported_Tesseract

There has to be found a way for all the information to be used. Even if they monitor us everywhere we go theres still a very big difficulty in using all these measures to prevent something from happenning. Kabars post proves that, 9/11 proves that. In the meantime, my opinion is that all these cameras pose no threat UNTIL for some reason you're marked down on a blacklist, then adding all the info that can be extracted from your internet activities, your presence in a camera everycorner and god knows what else its gonna be seriously tough to slide out.

On a sidenote, i was reading an interview with this former US bomber pilot that is now a figure like Chomsky (sorry cant recall the name) He was saying how distance and less and less personal contact makes tragedies so easy to happen. He was saying how he was bombing the shit out of the last city in Germany in wwII, where the soldiers where just waiting the war to end, and all he could think off is just how beatifull the scenery was from the air. Thats some frightening shit, all that anonymous, non personalised, high range equipment create a very dangerous enviroment of apathy and cynicism where brutality equals objectivity.

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by Tesseract@Nov 12 2004, 08:00 AM

There has to be found a way for all the information to be used. Even if they monitor us everywhere we go theres still a very big difficulty in using all these measures to prevent something from happenning. Kabars post proves that, 9/11 proves that. In the meantime, my opinion is that all these cameras pose no threat UNTIL for some reason you're marked down on a blacklist, then adding all the info that can be extracted from your internet activities, your presence in a camera everycorner and god knows what else its gonna be seriously tough to slide out.

Ding!

Video cameras everywhere don't really make me all that concerned. An hour recorded is an hour that must be watched and analyzed to count for something, and there is nowhere even close to the manpower and time necessary for it. The whole WE ARE BEING WATCHED thing is terribly overblown.

That said, I can't see anything wrong at the moment with something that helps locate missing children. I guess you could extrapolate from it and the information gathered, but...

yeah there are cameras EVERYWHERE in chicago... the mayor is even initiating a program where there will be cameras on every street by the year 2006. and the cameras are linked up to a hig-tech computer system that will take note of the clothes you wear and your actions as you move from camera to camera. anyone seen dawdling, walking in circles or semothing ssuspicious is reported directly to the police who also moniter the cameras

i'm calling 'bullshit'.

no way. no computer can interpret 'dawdling', and since when is it illegal to 'walk in circles'?

nope, not buying it.

they might be trying to put everything on camera, but there isnt a computer system capable of that kind of intelligent, interprative thinking.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

^Precisely. As good and powerful our computers are, we are still a very long shot away from visual interpretation/analysis software that comes even remotely close to what would be needed. We are NOT being watched.

whatever, if your gonna do something you don't want people to no about it, do it in your own home, its in public for crying out loud! its not like people wouldn't see you doing stuff anyways.

not just that but if you ever accused of something, it might come in helpful to prove that you weren't even there or something i dunno.

plus like seeks said, some kidnapped girl might eventually so us some tits (long overdue)

Guest im not witty
Originally posted by seeking@Nov 12 2004, 02:25 PM

think about it like this... if that information is used to find even one kidnapped girl, and that girl grows up to jock writers, then comes on here and shows her tits, it was all totally worth it.

you guys have to look at the bigger picture.

hahahaha. oh man. post of the year.