Caseks-Computer-Corner

RumPuncher

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

cpuz.jpg

system is kinda weak atm. only has 512 megs of pc3200

a radeon 9250 128megs ram, a sb live! 24-bit soundcard,

the mobo is an epox 8kdaj3 (nforce 3), linksys wireless g pci card,

blah. blah. blah.

teh nerd.

i found a good deal on ram recently. may be upgrading a bit,

but like i said, i was playing call of duty 2 with no lag.

Originally posted by Herbivore@Dec 14 2005, 09:05 AM

What's an ACID test?

Also, I'm a little surprised by those web browser test results. For me, IE loads a LOT quicker than Firefox. And if you have ActiveX turned off completely, IE is pretty safe, no?

Acid2 is a test page for web browsers published by The Web Standards Project (WaSP). It has been written to help browser vendors make sure their products correctly support features that web designers would like to use. These features are part of existing standards but haven't been interoperably supported by major browsers. Acid2 tries to change this by challenging browsers to render Acid2 correctly before shipping.

Acid2 is a complex web page. It uses features that are not in common use yet, because of lack of support, and it crams many tests into one page. The aim has been to make it simple for developers and users to check if a browser passes the test. If it does, the smiley face on the left will appear. If something is wrong, the face will be distorted and/or shown partly in red.

The purpose of this document is to explain how Acid2 works. The markup behind Acid2 is peculiar in that it attempts, on one single page, to test many different features. We do not envision or recommend that normal Web pages should be written this way, but it is appropriate for a test page. At first sight, the source code is hard to understand, but the guided tour offered in this document will explain it in some detail. The guide assumes a technical understanding of HTML, CSS and PNG.

no active x is not the only problem with IE it has a major amount of exploits in it if you put in SP2 on yer windows machine it helped lower these but many more exploits have came out sense then

im not saying that firefox is safer either its just that its harder and its not the most common browser that so hackers and crackers do not go after it like they do IE

The Hacker Manifesto

by

+++The Mentor+++

Written January 8, 1986

Another one got caught today, it's all over the papers. "Teenager Arrested in Computer Crime Scandal", "Hacker Arrested after Bank Tampering"...

Damn kids. They're all alike.

But did you, in your three-piece psychology and 1950's technobrain, ever take a look behind the eyes of the hacker? Did you ever wonder what made him tick, what forces shaped him, what may have molded him?

I am a hacker, enter my world...

Mine is a world that begins with school... I'm smarter than most of the other kids, this crap they teach us bores me...

Damn underachiever. They're all alike.

I'm in junior high or high school. I've listened to teachers explain for the fifteenth time how to reduce a fraction. I understand it. "No, Ms. Smith, I didn't show my work. I did it in my head..."

Damn kid. Probably copied it. They're all alike.

I made a discovery today. I found a computer. Wait a second, this is cool. It does what I want it to. If it makes a mistake, it's because I screwed it up. Not because it doesn't like me... Or feels threatened by me.. Or thinks I'm a smart ass.. Or doesn't like teaching and shouldn't be here...

Damn kid. All he does is play games. They're all alike.

And then it happened... a door opened to a world... rushing through the phone line like heroin through an addict's veins, an electronic pulse is sent out, a refuge from the day-to-day incompetencies is sought... a board is found. "This is it... this is where I belong..." I know everyone here... even if I've never met them, never talked to them, may never hear from them again... I know you all...

Damn kid. Tying up the phone line again. They're all alike...

You bet your ass we're all alike... we've been spoon-fed baby food at school when we hungered for steak... the bits of meat that you did let slip through were pre-chewed and tasteless. We've been dominated by sadists, or ignored by the apathetic. The few that had something to teach found us willing pupils, but those few are like drops of water in the desert.

This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the beauty of the baud. We make use of a service already existing without paying for what could be dirt-cheap if it wasn't run by profiteering gluttons, and you call us criminals. We explore... and you call us criminals. We seek after knowledge... and you call us criminals. We exist without skin color, without nationality, without religious bias... and you call us criminals. You build atomic bombs, you wage wars, you murder, cheat, and lie to us and try to make us believe it's for our own good, yet we're the criminals.

Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.

I am a hacker, and this is my manifesto. You may stop this individual, but you can't stop us all... after all, we're all alike.

ok i got a kicker for you tonight

A man bought a laptop from me. and so he called today and said that it would no longer boot up. He brought it in, and I discovered that sixteen nicely drilled holes were in the bottom of the case. I asked him about it, and he said the machine was too hot sitting on his lap, so he had drilled these "air holes."

"Could that be the problem?" he asked. :huh2:

God help these stupid ass people they do not deserve computers :innocent:

Napa' faster, more popular than 'Sonoma' - Intel

'Centrino 3' better at getting dates too, apparently

Intel's next-generation Centrino platform, codenamed 'Napa', not only consumes rather less power than its predecessor does, but is faster and has garnered a greater degree of industry support, the chip giant claimed this week.

According to Keith Kressin, a marketing director within Intel's Mobility Group, Napa will form the basis for at least 230 systems, more than the previous generation of the platform, 'Sonoma'.

Why? A greater interest in mobile products, for one, but also because Napa consumes 28 per cent less power than today's top-of-the-range Sonoma-based notebooks, Kressin claimed. That's a result of the use of a 65nm process to make the CPU, 'Yonah', but it also arises from the tweaks made to the chip's sleep modes and its cache infrastructure.

The dual-core Yonah will also deliver a 30-100 per cent performance boost over 90nm, single-core 'Dothan' Pentium M chips, Kressin said.

"Napa offers substantially improved performance at the same time that we have this better battery life," he told reporters.

Napa is due to debut early next year - possibly as soon as 6 January, if claims made by industry sources prove correct. ®

hey casek you see this shit?

Nvidia nabs ULi

ATI's chip partner to be bought by its arch-rival

Nvidia is to buy Taiwanese chipset company ULi in a stock purchase that values the acquisition at $52m.

ULi is part of ALi - aka Acer Labs - and was established as a fabless chip-maker in 2002 to handle ALi's chipset development and production. It's those products that Nvidia's after, to expand its nForce line-up into the low-end market, possibly because it expects Intel to play a much reduced role in this space over time.

Nvidia also said it hopes the ULi purchase will strengthen its presence in the Taiwanese and Chinese markets. The company said it intends to continue to supply ULi customers with current products for the foreseeable future.

Ironically, ULi has been supplying Nvidia's arch-rival ATI with South Bridge chips for its Intel-oriented chipsets for some time, and it will be interesting to see how that relationship progresses.

Under the terms of the agreement, Nvidia will pay TWD19 ($0.57) in cash for each outstanding ULi share and stock option. The acquisition, which is expected to be completed in Nvidia's Q1 FY2007 - which ends 1 May 2006 - provided regulators and shareholders approve.

Originally posted by Mainter@Dec 15 2005, 04:44 AM

Napa' faster, more popular than 'Sonoma' - Intel

'Centrino 3' better at getting dates too, apparently

Intel's next-generation Centrino platform, codenamed 'Napa', not only consumes rather less power than its predecessor does, but is faster and has garnered a greater degree of industry support, the chip giant claimed this week.

According to Keith Kressin, a marketing director within Intel's Mobility Group, Napa will form the basis for at least 230 systems, more than the previous generation of the platform, 'Sonoma'.

Why? A greater interest in mobile products, for one, but also because Napa consumes 28 per cent less power than today's top-of-the-range Sonoma-based notebooks, Kressin claimed. That's a result of the use of a 65nm process to make the CPU, 'Yonah', but it also arises from the tweaks made to the chip's sleep modes and its cache infrastructure.

The dual-core Yonah will also deliver a 30-100 per cent performance boost over 90nm, single-core 'Dothan' Pentium M chips, Kressin said.

"Napa offers substantially improved performance at the same time that we have this better battery life," he told reporters.

Napa is due to debut early next year - possibly as soon as 6 January, if claims made by industry sources prove correct. ®

so should I continue to wait to buy a laptop? btw whats the best specs for a laptop with someone willing to pay for something nice, but not too nice as too waste my $$$? I play games like battlefield and use some 3-d mapping software with big databases and maybe someday video if I ever get enough $$$ to buy a camcoder...

like I heard 3.0 and +++ ghz is a waste and runs too hot and uses too much battery power best video cards and how fast ? 256mb? and whats most important memory? 2gb?

I wanna build a custom and am trying to build a good one that deals with weight vs. power vs. overheating vs. battery life etc etc

jb: yeah, that sucks. you need to wait on mainter to reply about the laptops

as i know very little about laptop specs these days.

check newegg.com and you may be able to find a new processor and mobo for around $128 total....that would be a desktop.

anyhow, i have a question for mainter as well...mainter...should i set my timings to 2-2-2-5? http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=56780

umm lets see to casek you can overclock to 2-2-2-5 but no more or you will be risking performance its kinda iffy yer shit looks like it should be running with no probs

;)

and to john

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3000+ $146

Motherboard ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 $69

Memory Corsair Value Select 512 MB (2x 256 MB) $52

VGA eVGA 256-A8-N340-TX Geforce 6600 256 MB $113

Hard Drive Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80 GB $57.50

Optical Drive LITE-ON Black 16X DVD-ROM $19.99

Power Supply SeaSonic S12-330 ATX12V 330W $59.00

a good gaming PC add it up = to about 500 alot cheaper if you build it yerself

laptops on the other hand ummm

lets see round this to $3000

Intel 915P+ICH6 LGA-775 Mobile Motherboard (EX7)

3.80GHz Intel Pentium 4 Processor 670 (with EM64T)

1GB Crucial PC4200 DDR2-533 SODIMM (CAS Latency 4) x 2

Nvidia GeForce Go 7800 GTX PCI-Express 256MB

100GB 5400rpm Ultra ATA Hard Drive w/ 8MB Cache (x 2)

oh and if you want some ass rumbling sound get

Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS Video Editor

and get windows XP 64 bit

i wish i could get this but i dont really do games anymore

both upgradable the laptop will hold 4 slots of mem 4GB windows will only beable to see 3

plenty of room to expand

Originally posted by mr.yuck@Dec 15 2005, 04:43 PM

IE. If this has something to do with this shit... its strange. Nothing like this has ever happend before. It keeps saying at the bottom of the screen "Done but with errors on page."

your setting for the board are set to LO-FI VERSION

on the bottom of the page it says

This is a LO-FI version of THE WRITERS FORUM. To view the HI-FI version with full formatting, please :burn: click here. :burn:

World Rights Reserved ©1994-2004 12ozPROPHET™ | Contact | Privacy | Terms of Use

Invision Power Board © 2001-2005 Invision Power Services, Inc.

click where it says click here