Spray Paint

Guest SayOne

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is probably..., definitely a noob question but:

Was looking at some of my cans whilst on hold to the bank and noticed that my cans are 400ml but the cheaper ones are 250gm and the more expensive are 312gm.

The milliliters are the volume and the grams are the weight. What is actually different about these cans given that they are the same size and the volume is the same? Is it the amount of pigment in the more expensive cans that increases the weight? What's the go?

Could be a dumbass answer, but I've never looked at net weight. I just know that pastel colors and chrome are going to cover better. I remember Rusto Aluminum being 11oz back in the 90's, where regular Rusto colors were 12oz, but I could always count on the silver covering twice as much. The can was the same size, so I didn't worry about it.

YardMaster-ProductshotsCCEcopy_DONUT_zps592b4e0d.jpg

YardMaster-ProductshotsCD2_zpsc20a241a.jpg

YardMaster-ProductshotsCC2_zpsba7dc733.jpg

Home » Introducing ‘Yard Master’.

Introducing ‘Yard Master’.

AVT Paints is pleased to welcome ‘Yard Master’ to our family of superior quality 400ml aerosols.

Yard Master has been developed specifically to cover thick and fast, drying to a diamond-hard satin finish across a colour range reminiscent of classic American spray-paint brands. The first release of Yard Master showcases a nostalgic range of 14 timeless colours that defined an era, remembered fondly but seldom available until now.

Although it performs great on many surfaces, Yard Master prefers to live on steel. Constructed with rust inhibiting properties to help prevent corrosion on metal surfaces, the formula also contains UV resistant properties that will see a coat of paint maintain its youth under all weather conditions. Yard Master uses a special proprietary propellant that doesn’t lose pressure in extreme cold and doesn’t become too high-powered in extreme heat, giving you total control regardless of what Mother Nature throws at you.

Inspired by classics, built to survive. Let your work live on.

Yard Master will be available in Australian stores from this weekend onwards (check your local retailer) and USA and Europe will be seeing Yard Master on shelves in the near future.

Yes, it is very hard to paint over. Other paints just slide off of it; all the buff man's paint will be on the ground with your piece intact!

I got some Red Devil with a blue label at a yard sale. It is gloss black and from the test in my garage seemed like good enough paint for outlines. Though I know the other stuff, I think the black label, is garbage. They sell it at Big Lots

I've had mixed results with the red-devil from the discount/dolla stores. There's absolutely no security in there which is always nice. The silvers tend to cover really well most of the time (occasional shit can) but the over spray is out of control on any caps I try (stock, boston fat, ny fat) - makes for really fuzzy outlines. The black seems to be mostly bad, runny and the other color I got (red or gold i dont remember) was alright but nothing special.

I'm having some trouble with whites and unprimed brick/concrete. I've tried a few different cans on it and I think the rusto stops-rust flat white was the only thing that gave me a decent fill. Any suggestions?

Yard Master looks nice, great colour range, not cheap though, $6:60 in the online shops over here. It's more expensive than Ironlak but lak is 312gm and YM is 340gm. I'm still not sure what that actually means but it may somehow account for the extra cost.

If there's 14 colours, what are the two that aren't pictured?

Only the first release, though.

Also, I think with the saturation of the market these days in artist paint and boutique brands there may not be a need to cover every colour with each line that comes out. Keep in mind that these guys already do Ironlak and Kolour. Although they do have black and white here as well, which is doubling up.

Fucked if I know, I'm just dribbling shit.

Right, but this isn't aimed at those that would use ironlak or kolour. It's aimed at freight guys and old dudes like myself. I can just look at it and see rehashed versions of classic Krylon colors, like colonial blue, pastel aqua, chippewa and teal blue if I'm not mistaken. So it follows that it's going to have it's own metallics and some primary colors like true blue, regal blue, banner red, cherry red, school bus yellow, daisy yellow etc. Regardless I'm going to pick some of this up for sure because I'm a dinosaur and I still think in those colors.

Right, but this isn't aimed at those that would use ironlak or kolour. It's aimed at freight guys and old dudes like myself. I can just look at it and see rehashed versions of classic Krylon colors, like colonial blue, pastel aqua, chippewa and teal blue if I'm not mistaken. So it follows that it's going to have it's own metallics and some primary colors like true blue, regal blue, banner red, cherry red, school bus yellow, daisy yellow etc. Regardless I'm going to pick some of this up for sure because I'm a dinosaur and I still think in those colors.

^^This really makes a lot of sense.

b9326c78e51a11e2925f22000aa81f8f_7.jpg

might grab some this weekend - it's out @567 in sydney

@ walid $5.00 intro price - you can use the $1.60 you save to buy petrol to come up!

If you end up copping some give us a field report, pressure, coverage, tip compatibility, drying time etc. As an after thought I like that they brought back the top rim, I still have a "sweet spot" on my middle finger where I would nestle that fucker.

@ injury: I too loved periwinkle and grape frost, but by the time grape frost came out Krylon had already started is down hill slide. Krylon coral was my go to for forcefields, and I got called on it... a lot, lol. There was a glaring absence of a true purple in the big brands like Krylon, Rusto, and OSH (out west) during most of the 90s. There were colors that were close, like mauve, lavender and plum, but no "real" purple. You where stuck using oddballs, like Growco, Zynolite, Aervoe, or Ace. Even then they where just closer, not spot on. That was until Rusto brought out the original AA line, but then that had the Rusto stutters. I'm rambling...

I'm glad they don't have any pinks or purples. All those chinese paints bleed through so badly. I avoid them like the plague.

Rusto had a purple for a little while. Can't say I used it much. I think the first time i tried it i wasn't impressed with the opacity or coverage. I was a big fan of the outdoor decor Grey Lilac. Covered well, even if it looked like what happened to mixer can that you made with a box of random scraps and topped off with white.

PS....I've been wondering when a boutique brand would offer a "classics" line based off the american brands' discontinued colors of the 70's, 80's and even 90's. I thought it was a no-brainer to have a line of paint emulating the old Krylon and Rusto colors everyone is so fond of. Seems like it would really appeal to basically everybody, and be a nice homage to the history of graffiti.

I'd like to make a request for a clone of American Accents Indian Spice. All time best color of the 90's.

I think I remember the Rusto purple you are talking about, it had the same problem as Krylon plum, it was damn near transparent. Borden plum didn't have that problem, but the SW did.

As for the "classic colors", I think you, me, BMC and a couple other people had a convo about that a while back. If I remember correctly the problem that came up was, whatever company that would end up making them would need samples of the originals. Because of that nobody was willing to come up off, say, a jungle green, an icy grape or a pineapple yellow. Can't say I would either.

Found a color list for Yard Master. I was wrong there are no metallics, nor primary colors. Go figure

@ injury: I too loved periwinkle and grape frost, but by the time grape frost came out Krylon had already started is down hill slide. Krylon coral was my go to for forcefields, and I got called on it... a lot, lol. There was a glaring absence of a true purple in the big brands like Krylon, Rusto, and OSH (out west) during most of the 90s. There were colors that were close, like mauve, lavender and plum, but no "real" purple. You where stuck using oddballs, like Growco, Zynolite, Aervoe, or Ace. Even then they where just closer, not spot on. That was until Rusto brought out the original AA line, but then that had the Rusto stutters. I'm rambling...

Those blues/purples were some of the last holdouts before krylon became unusable. Some of their greys were good too; pewter comes to mind. i still have a mint condition mauve! Was gonna trade it but it's too nice to give away.

I wish i had acquired more old valve krylon when i could, even though it sucked at the time and would still be weak now.

PS....I've been wondering when a boutique brand would offer a "classics" line based off the american brands' discontinued colors of the 70's, 80's and even 90's. I thought it was a no-brainer to have a line of paint emulating the old Krylon and Rusto colors everyone is so fond of. Seems like it would really appeal to basically everybody, and be a nice homage to the history of graffiti.

I'd like to make a request for a clone of American Accents Indian Spice. All time best color of the 90's.

I almost wish that remakes of vintage colors weren't as thick as today's designer paints. I almost wish they were just a little watery. Am i insane?

I am excited to try the Yard Master paint from Ironlak. If it really performs as advertised they are going to do exceedingly well with it. A paint geared towards paint geeks and freight/clean writers was the only thing missing from the market. Hopefully it's not a marketing gimmick and actually is a different product as a whole. I've heard rumblings of people receiving samples during development here in the US, and knew they were working on something with old school colors, so that makes me think they did their homework and put a bunch of R&D or at least trial and error into this line. Two things I wish they included though:

The valve - I would have liked to have seen a valve that can make use of the NY/Rusto Fat caps. I know only the Euro style valve is currently knocked off in China, so this would have been difficult, but as a paint and freight "purist" I still prefer the USA valve to Euro. Who knows...it may even be compatible, I would be pleasantly surprised if so.

Oversized label with large font/text of color on the cans. How much do writers paint at night? Would make sense for SOMEONE to make a more readable sticker...color rings and overcaps do almost nothing for you at night.

I second the request for Indian Spice!!! (This was my first post in what could be over a year)

Something me and the other guys at Cap Matches Color have talked about. Have a classic line with colors like Jungle, Icy Grape, Cascade Green, and even go newer with indian spice or pacific blue. Spot on colors with a special name. Should not be hard, when charts with actual chips are avaialbe and so are the cans. The companies are the ones that would need to pony up the $ to get them though....on a side note Ironlak has the new yard master line out that mimics old colors.... http://ironlak.com/2013/07/introducing-yard-master/ But I dont think they use original color names. Wouldn't think there was a copyright on color names...

As I understand, metallics are more expensive to make, which is why American dollar silver is a has gone the way of the dodo.

I remember color charts having pasted on color samples well into the 90's. I've matched Chrome Yellow, Hot Pink and Jungle Green many times off old charts. No to say that paint companies have access to old charts, but all they'd have to do is ask any collector or make a quick visit to cap matches color. I know I'd be happy with an approximate match. Not like we're gonna need an exact Icy Grape to paint a train.

Guys,

Regarding Yard Master we don't have too many basic colours and this includes metallics because we felt with Ironlak and Kolour it was a bit redundant to be honest. We've kept it to a limited but well balanced range of discontinued but previously loved classics. We've got about another 10 colours we haven't yet released but we'll just gauge feedback on the range first.

We had a number of US freight writers involved in developing and testing the product. It uses a slightly modified resin from what we use in Ironlak and the properties in the paint we felt are geared towards what freight or train writers in general will want in a paint.

Its a little bit higher pressure than Ironlak, but we were conscious of having something that will allow you to finish up as quick as you can without compromising on cleanliness and can control.

It will be a little more expensive than Ironlak, because it is a 12oz can and we've had to add properties to it that add to the cost but make it more appealing to freight writers in general.

Hopefully its something writers will enjoy using.

Hal,I think it was you that mentioned Chinese made paints bleeding in pinks and purples. Test a couple of ours, we Ironed that out of our product about 6 months ago if i'm not mistaken.

We're also finalising testing on the UV resistance of our pinks and purples which do fade faster than our European counterparts. We've been working on this for a while with Dupont whom have been doing the testing for us. Our goal here is for our pinks, purples and mid browns (around 25% of our range fades faster than it should) to last as long as other brands, obviously certain pigments have better life expectancy than others when it comes to fading, so comparing a pink and a blue is apples and oranges as a blue will always outlast a pink, but our goal is for our pigments to hold up as long as other brands.

When we have confirmation on this we'll make an announcement and make sure writers are well informed on which cans they can use with confidence that won't fade. We'll also publish the results provided by Dupont when that happens.

All the best

Ironlak

One last thing we did weigh up using a European spec Vs using a US spec valve but decided on the European valve spec for various reasons. That being said NY Fats will still fit in that valve same with Ironlak.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Good to hear about the bleed through. That was my number one complaint. I have to say it's been a couple years since I bought a chinese made pink or purple because of that fact. I'll do a little experimenting and thanks for the heads up.

• 4 weeks later...

wish they would bring them out in Aust.

love the idea of just doing a big chisel tip tag and outlining a piece.

Walid you're the expert on the export /repco paint side of things have you come across any that is really high pressure?

I got a bunch of those ultrawide nozzles but they just make a mess using exports.. need to find higher pressure so more paint escapes the nozzle

Archived