Spray Paint

Guest SayOne

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

feaf9ef7.jpg

So after a few technical hiccups, Pyro is now available to buy here.

A quick review (and a discount code!) can be found after the jump

Right first up here’s what you need to know: £2.39 (£ 1.91 ex. VAT) a tin.

Low pressure. International shipping available. Free delivery on orders over £100.

2250ea67.jpg

Aside from the white, here’s the entire range. It’s a matt finish and is some of the thickest paint I’ve used.

Needs a good shake to get it going otherwise you’re going to get all sorts of silly string style issues, but to their credit rather than pass the blame, Pyro have addressed this head on and have this to say:

“We’re not completely happy with the caps so we’re giving away fat caps with all orders, this will be changed with the next shipment and replaced with better caps”

09b05640.jpg

It’s not even that big a deal, but you have to give ‘em props for dealing with it. As I said, it’s thick so fat caps are the obvious option, but that’s not to say you can’t use other caps – all the lines I did below with it were with the standard stock cap and once they’d have a good shake there weren’t any issues.

Colours are nice and bright, but on first use I think I’m more of a fan of the muted tones. All of them cover fine and I’m sure you’d agree that the indicated colours on the tins match up pretty closely to what comes out of them. + How you gonna argue with names like “Prison Grey”, “Yellow Snow” “Deep Shit”, “Fake Tan” and Jamez Brown”?!

…I mean, Obviously there are missing a Hurt You Bad Envy Green / Ginger Prince Pube Orange from the current line up, but It’s a solid range to launch with. The pinks are a little close tonally, but if you’re into precise fading and all that then it’s probably a good thing:

19f62a03.jpg

As it’s a UK paint I suppose most people’s benchmark to judge it against would be Illuminarty, but as that is a gloss finish I’d say Pyro”s nearest direct comparison would actually be Monster Colors – which it is a good deal cheaper than per tin.

Online sales have been delayed for a bit while the website was perfected, but I understand that The Bench up in Birmingham have been selling it out of the shop and it’s got the thumbs up from the regulars who’ve been using it for a bit now.

As always I’m going to say support UK graff and buy British, but when it’s cheaper than the alternatives and just as good then you don’t really need me to tell you that. If people get behind it the same way they have with Illuminarty then they can expand the range in the future and add to the growing UK based paint suppliers.

…and before we get to the discount code, here’s a few words from the Pyro team on it’s origins:

“The idea to start Pyro came about at Christmas 2010, we didn’t really take the plans any further until summer last year when we started the ball rolling, we were getting through so much paint we wanted to make something good quality but much cheaper, the price of paint has rocketed in the last few years, and people have been looking for cheaper options so thought we would just give it a go.”

I like that the UK paint companies are just people having a go rather than faceless multinationals looking to cash in on graff. If you want to try it for yourself then using this code will get you 10% off this month: PYROCOLORS2012

link:

http://hurtyoubad.com/2012/05/28/pyro-paint-review/

Based on one person's opinion. How is krylon even on the list? Some brands were judged on value while others were judged on quality and performance. There should have been better guidelines for judging but overall if nothing else its a good read.

Not a bad list, but putting German Montana first? I don't know if I agree with that. Way overpriced and worse coverage than MTN or Molotow. I also find it funny that Evolve, Fresh Paint, All City, Flame and Ironlak were different numbers on the list, considering that they all have the same valves, same packaging and are made in the same two factories. I feel no difference between all those brands aside from gloss or matte finish. They all have purples bleed through light colors, all fade in a month and all the valves don't like thin tips.

I actually laughed out loud when I saw Kilz on the list. It's a good white, but I'll go through a whole bag of Rusto fats trying to do a fill. I would have put that at #10 and excluded Krylon entirely. Apparently the guy who wrote this list never used True Value paint or Valspar, because those are far more worthy of the list than Krylon or Kilz.

I also think Sabotaz should have been placed higher. It has some issues, but it's a way better paint than the Chinese shit.

I use Clash pretty frequently, as it's about a $1 cheaper than the other premium low pressure cans at the local shop (94, Molotow, etc.). The traditionally weak pigmented colors aren't too good, but it sprays a nice, soft line. I have no complaints with it. The Spy Yellow is surprisingly good, but I have had a can or two lately that were really weak.

I don't know if anyone has tried Supertramp, but it's one of the better low-end brands. Based on the donut style, I think it's made by Colorpack (Beat, Clash, Monster) The Black is great, and the Sky Blue and Purple are really good. Apple Green could be better, and I'll guess that the yellows and oranges aren't too solid. I've had some issues with the color changing as I spray, and no amount of shaking seems to remedy the problem. Overall, I'd say it's a good alternative if you're looking for a low pressure black outline paint.

Has anyone else had issues with Molotow skipping? I've noticed that several of my new cans will skip midway through a line. I've had this problem before with cans that sat out in the trunk of the car overnight in the cold, and cans that went into the freezer for mixing. I've never had this problem with a brand new can, unless the ones I bought were stored in the cold or something. No other brand seems to do this.

Hal as far as the Kilz goes, rusto fats never worked well for me on those cans. The caps you get off the elmers spray adhesive work perfectly with Kilz though. I dont think I have ever had one clog or sputter on me. Using a thin is a totally different story though :I

I use Clash pretty frequently, as it's about a $1 cheaper than the other premium low pressure cans at the local shop (94, Molotow, etc.). The traditionally weak pigmented colors aren't too good, but it sprays a nice, soft line. I have no complaints with it. The Spy Yellow is surprisingly good, but I have had a can or two lately that were really weak.

I don't know if anyone has tried Supertramp, but it's one of the better low-end brands. Based on the donut style, I think it's made by Colorpack (Beat, Clash, Monster) The Black is great, and the Sky Blue and Purple are really good. Apple Green could be better, and I'll guess that the yellows and oranges aren't too solid. I've had some issues with the color changing as I spray, and no amount of shaking seems to remedy the problem. Overall, I'd say it's a good alternative if you're looking for a low pressure black outline paint.

Has anyone else had issues with Molotow skipping? I've noticed that several of my new cans will skip midway through a line. I've had this problem before with cans that sat out in the trunk of the car overnight in the cold, and cans that went into the freezer for mixing. I've never had this problem with a brand new can, unless the ones I bought were stored in the cold or something. No other brand seems to do this.

Clash seems to be the thickest paint I've seen. I'd have to say it's the most under rated can on the market. It's color selection is not as good tho. Beat would be an excellent sieve to make up for color selection since both brands come from the same Italian manufacturer. The yellows on both brands like you said are week....but try using the yakuza yellow.

I'll respond to the rest of your post after work tho.

How is krylon even on the list?

this.

i dunno HAL, i know your social or philosophical (or whatever) opposition to

montana goldas a company, but i've also heard you say that shit is the truth.

im inclined to agree with that statement, that shit lays down smooth and thick liiiike..

this.

292.jpg

obviously, i submit to your expertise, youve put in way more work and are

certainly an authority on the matter, but putting montana gold at the top of

the list doesnt seem out of place at all to me.

maybe someone should compile a list like big metal was saying, rating the paint on

varying criteria and judging/ranking them based on that...

this.

i dunno HAL, i know your social or philosophical (or whatever) opposition to

montana goldas a company, but i've also heard you say that shit is the truth.

im inclined to agree with that statement, that shit lays down smooth and thick liiiike..

this.

obviously, i submit to your expertise, youve put in way more work and are

certainly an authority on the matter, but putting montana gold at the top of

the list doesnt seem out of place at all to me.

maybe someone should compile a list like big metal was saying, rating the paint on

varying criteria and judging/ranking them based on that...

I don't really have a problem with Montana Germany, as a product. It's decent, and consistent. They have a good color range. I usually talk to cute art school girls when waiting for them to find the keys to pry open the cages. I guess if given the choice at the same price point, I prefer the coverage of MTN or even the consistency of Molotow. I like the smoothness of Montana Germany's valve, but coverage is usually key for me. I can get the same valve with Molotow at a much lower price. With MTN 94, I might go through a few outline caps, but I can also use basically any color in the spectrum, including yellow.

Montana Black has a couple decent yellows, namely Kicking Yellow and Power Yellow, but the Gold line has some sucky coverage. Colors that should be opaque and solid, like apricots and orange browns, stuff with a lot of earthy pigment, are double coaters at best. That seems really strange, given the price point. I understand that certain pigments are weak, but other brands seem to manage with difficult pigments, at much lower prices. For @ 10 USD a can, I would demand premium coverage, as well as extreme lightfastness. For $3-4 more than another (just as good) premium paint, I'd like it to outline for me. I'd be happy to kick back with a beer and watch my piece come to life.

It seems underhanded that German Montana makes it so difficult for independent, street-level stores to stock their paint, while keeping overpriced art stores well stocked at a huge markup. It's not surprising that they would favor a guaranteed profit, but it's a bummer that they would sacrifice integrity so readily. (Was that out the window when they ripped off Montana Spain's packaging/formula/reputation off that bat?) How expensive is it to make a can of Montana Gold? Does it really cost that much more to make than Molotow or any other German brand? I would think less, considering they have the volume and backing of Dupli. Considering Molotow is backed by Kwasny/Belton, shouldn't the price be the same? Are all these costs to fund R&D? Is Gold's pigment ground from from space rocks? When a new, local shop opened up, they initially stocked Montana Gold. Very quickly, they realized that their paint sales volume (supported entirely by the local graffiti/art culture) wasn't important enough for Montana Germany to keep an adequate stock for them, so they moved on to more receptive stockists who have since sponsored local events and visiting artists.

I understand the concept of capitalism, but my train of logic leads me to the conclusion that Montana/Dupli is far more concerned with profits over culture. That's fine, considering that American writers of my generation grew up with Krylon and Rusto. However, since both switched over to unfriendly valve systems, most of the writers I know have abandoned them entirely. Not that it's a perfect option, far from it, but the Chinese-made offerings have somewhat filled the void for the mid-range pricepoint. I've experimented with various female caps, and even modified the Danvern cap (new Krylon) to accept NY Thin diffusers, but it's way easier to hit the shop and buy some (relatively) inexpensive paint from a retailer I know by name, someone who wishes me a good day when I leave, and just be done with it.

I really loathe to get on any bandwagon, but I feel like a sucker every time I'm stuck buying a German Montana product for full price, At least when I buy a MTN product, I know my money is ultimately going to Jase, Neon and Co. at MTN USA, and then to the folks at MTN Spain, all of whom actually care about graffiti.

The more i think about it and express my opinion, yeah....I am, as a devout practitioner of graffiti rounding closer to the 2 decade mark, a little bit angry at Montana Germany. Looking at the overall picture, what have they ever done to help us out?

All that being said, I will happily take a free can of their paint. Cool story bro.

0fc378f5-6481-4657-99c1-a9a3160e5e9f.png

Liquitex Spray Paint

I know Krylon has to be kicking themselves in the head right about now. Never wanting to recognize Graffiti Art here we got another brand adding Spray Paint to their product line. As Graffiti Art continues to be more and more accepted, we now have corporate companies moving in and getting their hands dirty. Like sharks smelling the blood. Well here is new product from the Art giant Liquitex. Their new Spray Paint Cans boast Low Odor, Durable, & Permanent, Water Base Technology, & 100 colors to match the Liquitex Spectrum. Wow. Check in and let me know what you think.

video here:

info here:

http://www.liquitex.com/spraypaint/

Archived