Spray Paint

Guest SayOne

Originally posted by tré@May 17 2005, 05:47 PM

i'm young with no job and no real steady source of income, so i try to find the best paint for the cheapest prices. flat black, silver, gold, green, red, blue and brown all by Color Place (walmart brand) at $.94 a can work perfect for me. their yellows, whites, oranges and other lighter colors are very runny and drippy, dry transparent and overall aren't even worth 94 cents.

i paint with Rustoleum and Krylon when i have the extra money, but i'll never waste money on black or red. i think Color Place's flat blacks and reds are fine and just buy those. i prefer Rusto to Krylon because Krylon seems a bit more runny/drippy. Rusto's flat white is pretty much all i have on regular basis.

when i need nice colors for a multilayered stencil or whatever, i buy Painter's Touch or American Accents. the paint quality is very nice and the price isn't too bad for the array of colors. good stuff.

ialso came across this stuff Quick Color at my local home depot, it's pretty much Rustoleum's $1 can line. the flat black is all i've used so far, but its great quality stuff and also all my tips work on it (ny fats/thins, german outlines, german/rusto fats). german fats are the only caps that work on Color Place besides stock ones, and i like being able to use thins and fats on $1 cans.

i pretty much have a stock of Color Place, a Rusto can or 2, maybe 1 Krylon, and then a few random Painter's Touch or Quick Color cans. works for me.

[edit: Guesser, i see you're new to the game...i really hope you're not getting up with that name.]

yo ive been using quickcolor for a grip. it real cheap and its pritty thick. the darker colors are less likely to run, but i reall like that brand but i cann't fit them with ny caps at all :hatred: . montana is what i have mostly, im not rich im just 17 w/ a job.

• 2 weeks later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

i like wal mart cans,they are pretty cheap and all so thats good,i fucked with painters touch a fue times.

i never tried that european paint but from what i am reading its pretty good,its hella pricy like 5 bucks for a can.

but a krylon with a NY fatty makes magic happen if you got the wrist.

thats my 2 bits

RUSTO=20 SQ/FT SOLID 4$

MONTANA=25 SQ/FT SOLID 6$

AMERICA FINEST 5 SQ/FT SOLID 1$

KRYLON=15 SQ/FT SOLID 3$

RUSTO GOES OVER ANYTHING

MONTANA OPAQUE'S GO OVER ANYTHING

AF WONT GO OVER ANYTHING

KRYLON DOESN'T GO OVER RUSTO OR MONTY

A MONTANA HALLOW ON METAL WILL SHOW AFTER A BUFF

MONTANA MARKERS.....SUCK ASS

ENDING POINT,,,, U SPEND AN EXTRA DOLLAR ON MONTY FOR

CLEAN LINES AS OPPOSED TO RUSTO

I use just about everything. But rusto americans accents or w/e is dope but you can't get the clean lines! somebody gave me a cap that is supposed to work like a greydot but for rusto so maybe I can get cleaner lines now, I'll find out soon enough

^^^the post up there by rivers... montana usually covers lots of stuff but not always wet chrome. there are a couple of colors that do, though. some of the colors (spanish brand) to look out for are

lake blue

machine green

black

anyway, this topic is kind of retarded. there are so many brands of spray paint, and the opacity of the colors vary in every one, people have different opinions and experiences. you get people talking out of their ass about this and that and not clarifying which brand. most people think one should find out everything by themselves like back in the day, and thats true...but this could also be alot more useful.

I was thinking about an amphibious regional spray paint thread with flicks and names of spraypaint brands from your area/country. like a shopping guide so you know what you're looking for if you visit europe from usa and vice versa etc. I'ma start this topic once I get around photographing the local paint we have here.

unless I've gotten carried away by the caffeine again and everyone thinks this is a bad idea???

i was wondering how many of you guys from the uk (like me), use monster colours paint?..i've tried it and personaly it aint nothing special plus you can order belton from europe for less or the same price! so why? :huh2:

i recently tried the montana alien paint from a friend. it was my first montana i used, and i like how easy it is to press the nozzle... the paint comes out pretty good to... also i finally stocked up on painter's touch, and american accents. painter's touch is cool, it covers just like rustoleum. as for american accents, i didn't get the chance to use it as much but it came out runny for me. but it's probably the way i painted.

Originally posted by Icy GrapeWI@May 30 2005, 12:40 AM

yo ive been using quickcolor for a grip. it real cheap and its pritty thick. the darker colors are less likely to run, but i reall like that brand but i cann't fit them with ny caps at all :hatred: . montana is what i have mostly, im not rich im just 17 w/ a job.

you can shave down the part that fits into the cans with an exacto knife and it should work fine, ive done it before and it worked for me.

"^^^the post up there by rivers... montana usually covers lots of stuff but not always wet chrome. there are a couple of colors that do, though. some of the colors (spanish brand) to look out for are

lake blue

machine green

black

anyway, this topic is kind of retarded. there are so many brands of spray paint, and the opacity of the colors vary in every one, people have different opinions and experiences. you get people talking out of their ass about this and that and not clarifying which brand. most people think one should find out everything by themselves like back in the day, and thats true...but this could also be alot more useful.

I was thinking about an amphibious regional spray paint thread with flicks and names of spraypaint brands from your area/country. like a shopping guide so you know what you're looking for if you visit europe from usa and vice versa etc. I'ma start this topic once I get around photographing the local paint we have here.

unless I've gotten carried away by the caffeine again and everyone thinks this is a bad idea???"

and, fresh from the oakland labs...is my take.

spray paint is almost impossible to rate or compare since there are so many variables, i.e., batch control, pressure (inside and outside of the can), temperature, surface used on, type of paint (flat? satin? gloss? semigloss?)...brands also have exceptions to the rule, as well- krylon ufb, for instance, redeems almost all their current product. if you were to truly rate a paint, you would have to go about it scientifically, and you and i are not gonna do that.

try this- kids, it may make for an interesting science report-

1. take five brands of paint, commonly available to writers

2. set up a control (let's just say, spray it at 68 degrees F, at sea level, with 30.00" of ambient barometric pressure. since internal can pressure is an uncontrollable variable, we'll leave it out. also, no cross wind, in full sunlight, and in as clean of an enviroment as possible to minimize dust, at a distance of 12" with a ny fat cap for two seconds. there, i did most of the work!)

3. spray three different surfaces (i'd say, wood, metal and stone/concrete/ brick) all primered with one coat of paint- of course, use the same primer.

4.observe behaviors of paint- does it drip a lot? does it holiday (bubble) or orange peel (crack)? does the advertised color compare w/ the actual wet/dry color? is it close? what is the elapsed time to contact dry (so you can apply another coat/outline)?

5. finally, weather test the paint by leaving it outside, exposed to the elements for one week. note- summer results will be different from winter results. observe and note any weathering effects (fading, peeling, chipping, color shift, etc.)

ok, ok....i'm sure i took all the fun out of this, but i would like to see scientific method applied to this just to see what will happen. i personally don't have the time since i am studying other things, however, i would be stoked if someone would do this and report the results. to sweeten the deal, i'll send the first person who actually goes through with this a little something from my collection- and i'll make it worth it, i promise.

however...

montana has good colors and decent pressure, but it's shitty paint- not weatherproof at all, especially on metal. hey, it's made in spain- it's nice there. the blues holiday like crazy and the tall cans clog tips. only seems to work well w/ montana tips. plus they pimp their product a little too hard for my taste. btw, their pens? good....when you put something else in them. they should stop fucking with the alien paint and make something that really works well under all conditions.

belton is somewhat better. nice color pallette, good pressure, but, still, $6 a can? it's worth $3- buy it in bulk. seems more consistent and works with more tips. a step up, and i respect them a little more for not trying to pigeonhole writers as a marketing group.

krylon- ultra flat black and terracotta are just about perfect. hoever, they don't atone for the rest of their sins. watery, spitty, and covers like saran wrap- clear as a bell. might be good on a clean, porous wall, and those are hard to come by. doesn't work well w/ most tips that i've used other than ny fats. who knows...

rusto- ahhh....now, here we go...nice pressure, covers the best, the colors look better on the wall than on the cap, and it's readily available. they don't go crazy w/the color selection, but most of it is tasteful and easily applicable to graff. and, a rusto fat on a rusto can is pure magic. and, they make 18 oz. cans! they get my vote.

and the unsung hero, OSH- i learned to paint w/ this, and it's still my no. 2 choice. anyone learning to paint- OSH has almost any color you could want, it's cheap, and entirely adequate. works with most caps, covers okay, drips a bit, but...i've seen people paint productions using nothing but OSH and they came off looking just fine. worth checking out.

good night.

Archived