BALTIMORE

robJ

Originally posted by angry orphan@Aug 12 2005, 01:20 PM

herm you couldn't have wordid it better...

eyyy sneaker heads.. im takin orders for sb's down here in fla.. they got the stussy's off the hook, bout to get the tiffany's too... and herm, messin up ya kicks.. didn't i tell you not to bench in the fresh pairs...

hey angry, you need to get out of the sneaker business and get into these...

DSC01326.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Hermdog@Aug 12 2005, 07:57 AM

Best crews in Baltimore? No true answer since so many writers put up multiple crews...

BA DST IME PA DBK KOS WHO KSW BS ORPHANS

there's 10 for you off the top of my head

Just Arek and Dave were in 3-4 of the above crews alone

Now the question is how influencial is the Baltimore Writer Community? Many of our writers represent in a vast majority of the national crews like NSF FLY ID ELW FGS FU BA and their art can be found all over the world.

I think the only crew your missing for national crews is Fx those guys are sick as hell

Correct me If I'm wrong here, but I would say that NSF just barely fits into the "National Crew" category with only one representative on the west coast (begr). FX is a New York crew, same pretty much with FlyID right? ELW was a DC crew that branched out a little bit, but far from a national crew. FU, seen Syze put that up, but who else is in that? As far as other crews not mentioned, I would say TKO, Network,and possibly Mayhem are close to being nationwide.

What I think really matters the most regardless of how spread out a crew is, is the quality, quantity, and how much area they are able to make an inpact in nationaly/internationally. It is suprising how small some of these crews are in numbers that really make a huge name for themselves by knowing how to do shit right. KOS is the perfect example of a medium size crew that made a huge national impact and gained a whole lot of recognition.

Yes Herm, you definitely know your shit more than most people that paint probably. you make a really good point about how a lot of writers from Baltimore have achieved a good bit of fame.

Originally posted by Hermdog@Aug 12 2005, 07:57 AM

there's 10 for you off the top of my head

Just Arek and Dave were in 3-4 of the above crews alone

its a shame PA and Daver especially never got more rep. he put in a ton of work and he's known, but only in limited areas. people need to stop sleeping on baltimore.

Traditionally I think Baltimore writers never cared about what was happening in other cities. And more than likely other cities didn't care what was going on in Baltimore aside from some influence on a handful of DC writers when DC actually had a scene. This is why the city's style was based mainly on hands. I don't know if this is the case now. For an individual writer to gain a big rep you have to travel A LOT and have connects allover. Take for example Kem5. This guy treks allover the fuckin place and puts in mad work. But that's a decision for that person to make. The internet probably plays a role nowadays in fame but it wasnt the case until something like 5 years ago. That's my 2 cents and if you don't likey you can block me right?

Originally posted by angry orphan@Aug 12 2005, 01:20 PM

. didn't i tell you not to bench in the fresh pairs...

A rare day when I didn't have the Tims... stealing time to visit walls has been more and more rare these days... that spot has changed over the years... looks like some construction along the parking routes..be careful

wow , the first ive seen of any kind of intellegence shown here.

i think it boils down to...NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU PAINT, WHAT YOU DO AND HOW YOU DO IT, ....PEOPLE ARE STILL GOING TO COMPLAIN.

the bs wall, hot.

that dbk wall....hot

old pa/km ...hot

herm, at least the classics are an easy replacement. my roommate was up getting the tiffs this morning. there was like 20 people in front of him and only one of his size so he rolled out.

dusk, hit me back you never called me yesterday.

Originally posted by SHUTMDOWN@Aug 12 2005, 05:38 PM

It is suprising how small some of these crews are in numbers that really make a huge name for themselves by knowing how to do shit right. KOS is the perfect example of a medium size crew that made a huge national impact and gained a whole lot of recognition.

By the year 2000 a few of the Kos writers had already done 1000 PIECES on trains. That was 5 years ago. Thats still more jams completed then what half of the baltimore writers/crews have done in there whole carrer. Thats putting in work.

NOt to mention, all the streets and walls that been buffed or dissed in the years past.

kos made a national name for its crew by painting shit.

no internet, no stamp licking, no networking. no jibber jabber.

Originally posted by robJ@Aug 13 2005, 10:17 AM

By the year 2000 a few of the Kos writers had already done 1000 PIECES on trains. That was 5 years ago. Thats still more jams completed then what half of the baltimore writers/crews have done in there whole carrer. Thats putting in work.

NOt to mention, all the streets and walls that been buffed or dissed in the years past.

kos made a national name for its crew by painting shit.

no internet, no stamp licking, no networking. no jibber jabber.

thats so on point!

That Kaos piece is on fire!

I have to agree with Siek, Baltimore has been doing it's own thing for years. You had to have grown up around the style to really appreciate it.

SIEK:

I didn't mean anything by the Bates flick, Dave is a very talented guy, no need for biting someone else.

Much respect...

i like alot of this freight generation of bmore dudes but sometimes yall be putting in these fades into your 3D that totally takes away the "effect" of the 3D...like those last two dahmer joints up above, the purple/blue/gray one is blazing and then that yellow mist added to the 3D just like undermines the whole "pop"

but then the next one, the green one, is one of the best dahmers ive seen because the 3D is left alone

i dont know just my 2cents, but alot of those BS/orphans/pts pieces seem to have that same effect where you mist these lines down thru the 3d that undermine the point of the 3D. imho

Originally posted by sieko@Aug 13 2005, 01:08 AM

Traditionally I think Baltimore writers never cared about what was happening in other cities. And more than likely other cities didn't care what was going on in Baltimore aside from some influence on a handful of DC writers when DC actually had a scene. This is why the city's style was based mainly on hands. I don't know if this is the case now. For an individual writer to gain a big rep you have to travel A LOT and have connects allover. Take for example Kem5. This guy treks allover the fuckin place and puts in mad work. But that's a decision for that person to make. The internet probably plays a role nowadays in fame but it wasnt the case until something like 5 years ago. That's my 2 cents and if you don't likey you can block me right?

Some of you dont know and others probably forgot. But the writer "CUBA" the very first writer in San Francisco is from Baltimore. I've heard him say things like "Jam-one? oh yeah he was one of those new kids around when I left bmore", that should give you an idea of how old school Baltimore he is. Cuba is still painting on the regular and is one of SF's most respected writers. On a side note, I have heard people mention Bmore hands & "Daver" in california, but only because of the internet. And I've never heard any writer mentioned about Bmore freights unless they were talking about someone in BA crew, but then again Im in BA crew, and all of the Bmore BA's have done fr8's in California several times. There are obviously other Bmore influences that have taken effect elswhere but I'll leave the obvious unsaid. What sieko & Robj said is true but travelling and networking contacts is a major part of fame like it or not. There are countless writers that have done unbelievable amounts of great work and are not known anywhere. Its like money, when you have money you use the money to do the work for you to get more money. Same with graff fame but if you havent done enough work to use that method you will get called out on it sooner rather than later. Plus, I'll bet it doesnt feal so hot to be called over rated.

^yeah i guess ill chime in on that convo, but i really dont think KOS was very big outside of baltimore, i came up in the philly and pittsburgh scenes and all i ever heard/knew about were like ksw,dst,pa, and the famous baltimore "hands"...also in philly we always kind of considered the scene to be like the "dc/balto" scene...only later have i learned from being there how much separate history bmore has....plus i remember everyone always wondering why so many dudes seemed to go to SF...like bmore and SF are like cousins or something

no disrespect to KOS either, i think they def had a big push in like 99, 00, 01...but it seems like theyve mostly ended,no?