BALTIMORE

robJ

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by SHUTMDOWN@Aug 30 2005, 08:10 PM

yes Mayor, another veiled sarcastic comment from shutmdown, meant to inform, without a public sonning...also I tried to do it in a way as to NOT put dudes personal business all over the interweb, but failing to take into account that there are those among us with an exrta chromosome 21, that would do it for me.

However, the comment about the Heist pieces was not sarcastic at all. I especially like the one that looks like it is under an overpass.

gotcha homey....

bmoreBench.jpg

Yes Symbols, a lot of people on here have been around for a hot minute, and been brought up by people who have been around longer,which is the best way to learn the sport IMHO. However, the are a grip of newjacks that get the majority of their schooling off of the internet these days. Now for "eyesore" out in bumfuck who may be the first person to ever pick up a can in his area, I say more power to him, and this may be a powerful resource for him to use to do things the most correct way possible.

Everybody who knows at least a handfull of other writers knows that gossip (be it fact or fiction) is every bit a part of graffiti as rusto fats, but does it really need to be spread all over the internet? There are plenty of people who dont know that story (obviously one who doesnt know thing one about the dude I'm guessing). Do we really need newjacks regurgitating stories that they read about a persons character on the internet?

90% of the time that I'm on here saying anything sarcastic, or negative, I'm just "busting peoples balls". If some people cant take a joke or some criticism, then they're not shit to me. Its an easy way to weed people out for me I guess. If that is annoying you a little, then there's nothing I'm willing to do to change that, sorry. Everybody that I sorround my self with, and MOST that I'm crewmates with are mostly lighthearted and playful and like to have fun. Thats what its about for me, doing something you love to do with people that you like to be around. When one of these comments is directed at somebody I dont know, its because I'm not around that person to go "hey dude, there was this guy in DC a few years back that really tore shit up who wrote Cast, you should probably change your word". I know that as graffiti grows, its getting harder and hardrer to have an original name, but everybody has pride in their own name, and what they've made of it, and doesnt want to be confused with someone else. Besides isnt it cool as shit when somebody goes that extra mile to put some thought into their word and comes up with something like Eatfuck?

Sure, maybe when you first start writing you're main goal is to get the attention of that fly ass girl at school that only goes out with "bad boys". As you grow into it though, your goals change right? The more fame you get, the more you want, like your city, your state, neighboring states and cities, all country, all world. Its a progression, an evolution that you are proud of accomplishing right? Few new writers probably think about how far they may want to take their name when they are just trying to get "known" in their area, and even fewer will make it past that stage. I'm just trying to help people out so that when/if they reach a stage where they are really interested in graf history, and what goes on in other parts of the world, they can be happy that they used an original name, and not look like a sucker who thought they were more important, or better then the man before them.

I tell you what Symbols, you make a thread and sticky it (maybe in every forum if that will fly) that grabs the attention of everyone new to the site, where they are encouraged to ask whether or not the name they would like to use or have been using is already taken, without them being clowned for asking. I in return I will simply refer people to that thread without sarcastic comments. Cool?

I'll even try to stop flaming people that I find extremely annoying, but my friends, well they're still gonna get it.

As long as you guys are the topic of used names. I have a comment. Any common word is now taken somewhere, face it. Half the writers in west coast have started writing spanish words becasue they ran out, and no not because there mexicans.

Heist for instance. Is Zephyr's side name. Heist is also Gigs's side name. Gigs, probably the first writer to go all bay area, SF, Oakland, Berkeley, other surrounding areas. There is a book called "photo graphing railroads". somehwere in the middle is a picture of a SP engine crossing the rockies in the late 80's second car back is a Heist piece on a SP ridgie.

There are ways around getting shit for using a taken name. You blow it up 100x's harder than its previous owner. You find the person and graciously ask to start it up again, assuming this person stopped using it?? Or you fight over it.

sarcasm is generally lost in print, it usually requires a facial expression and tone of voice to come across. .your post had no indication of sarcasm.

saying someone got deported isn't quite the same as spreading rumors and personal business

there is already a thread in the yard about taken names.

i've also noticed that when i bust YOUR balls, suddenly it's because i'm not 'lighthearted'

Originally posted by checkmate@Sep 1 2005, 12:17 PM

There are ways around getting shit for using a taken name. You blow it up 100x's harder than its previous owner. You find the person and graciously ask to start it up again, assuming this person stopped using it?? Or you fight over it.

or you can have some blow hard on 12oz to take up your case and try to regulate even tho he doesnt know the old dudes with names, or the new guys writing the old words

Archived