David Choe Paints Whales.

High Priest

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by gatita@Nov 11 2004, 12:42 AM

He just said Neckface.. hahahha. Listen, Choe might not be a "graffiti artist" but Neckface is FAAAAAAAAAAR from one. Unless I can start drawing hairy limbs and writing "Arm Hand" and get fame.

Fuck it.

actually neck face is a really good artist and started drawing that way on the street as a joke.

i'm not say'n i like his shit...BUT HE GETS UP THATS THE POINT. he bomb for sure.

but he's pretty much the same as CHOE

"he is an "artist" that tries to exploit graffiti as his vehicle in order to get himself a name in the "contemporary artworld". its a fuckin joke, anyone can do whatever they want but hes stepping on the toes of real graffiti writers by trying to sell himself off as one for his own gain"

fermentor666 :

As far as that stupid whale photo. any moron can video type themself doing something on the street, you need to put in work to get respect. you have to do more then that to be a street artist, please stop showing the same photo.

another thing that whale is not any better then neckface's stuff. :haha:

POINT IS CHOE NEVER BOMBED SAN JOSE

OK, here's the thing "chokeyourassout".

First, I don't see anywhere that the guy "claims" San Jose.

Second, if you knew anything about graff, you'd know that there are plenty of people who have done their time on the streets and move on from that. Whether or not Choe falls into this catagory, I'm not sure, but it seems from what I just read on the website that he's more into galleries and music, now.

Third, he is a lot more talented than Neckface. Obvious.

Fourth, you're getting really heated over this dude, he must have done something wrong to you, or you are just a jealous little man.

Sixth, by all technical definitions, he and Neckface are graffiti artists. In your small little world, the definition of the the word "graffiti" might be different from the rest of the population, but your world is a lonely world, "buddy".

Ninth, I think the dude's art is good, his street stuff is nice, his gallery stuff is real nice, and he's been around for a lot longer then a Neckface. But I don't really care much more about him, and I'm done argueing about this since it's not really worth my time and effort and you are obviously missing the point. This is an art thread, not the Brickslayers thread.

Originally posted by fermentor666@Nov 11 2004, 12:50 PM

OK, here's the thing "chokeyourassout".

First, I don't see anywhere that the guy "claims" San Jose.

Second, if you knew anything about graff, you'd know that there are plenty of people who have done their time on the streets and move on from that. Whether or not Choe falls into this catagory, I'm not sure, but it seems from what I just read on the website that he's more into galleries and music, now.

Third, he is a lot more talented than Neckface. Obvious.

Fourth, you're getting really heated over this dude, he must have done something wrong to you, or you are just a jealous little man.

Sixth, by all technical definitions, he and Neckface are graffiti artists. In your small little world, the definition of the the word "graffiti" might be different from the rest of the population, but your world is a lonely world, "buddy".

Ninth, I think the dude's art is good, his street stuff is nice, his gallery stuff is real nice, and he's been around for a lot longer then a Neckface. But I don't really care much more about him, and I'm done argueing about this since it's not really worth my time and effort and you are obviously missing the point. This is an art thread, not the Brickslayers thread.

"First, I don't see anywhere that the guy "claims" San Jose."

haha. he lives in SAN JOSE thats a fact. and "claims" why would he claim a city,

this is not a gang it can be any city. i'm say'n he has lived in SJ for many years now and hasn't done shit and CLAIMS he's a street artist.

look i used neckface as an example of someone that is a true street arts. i don't care how good his

art is that was never the piont.

THE POINT IS BEING OR HAS BEEN ACTIVE ON THE STREET. DOING FEW THINGS DONT MAKE YOU A STREET ARTIST AND JUST BEACUSE YOU USE A SPARY PAINT CAN RATHER THEN A PAINT BRUSH DOES NOT EITHER.

and no he has never did anything to me. people just give him way to much prop for

doing nothing on the street of SJ. you can call me a hater, but really i'm just exposing a phony

call it like you see it.

-Chokeyourassout ^(Wasnt able to edit above post)

Just because someone doesn't fit into the category of what you consider a writer/street artist to be, doesn't mean you can discredit their talent. I try not to get involved or say anything, after all it is your opinion and that's all that matter's but your reasoning is asinine. "He's doesnt bomb San Jose, so he's a phony." So following that logic, all other writers who dont "get up" in San Jose (Also, for ref. im pretty sure he's located in SF) are "TOY." Is NECKFACE up in San Jose as well? You seem to love you some NECKFACE, so does the work he does over in Japan on vacation become invalid, like you stated with choes? Bottom line is, know one on here is saying you have to like his work, fermentor666 was just pointing out that your logic is flawed. End.

Originally posted by High Priest@Nov 11 2004, 11:37 PM

-Chokeyourassout ^(Wasnt able to edit above post)

Just because someone doesn't fit into the category of what you consider a writer/street artist to be, doesn't mean you can discredit their talent. I try not to get involved or say anything, after all it is your opinion and that's all that matter's but your reasoning is asinine. "He's doesnt bomb San Jose, so he's a phony." So following that logic, all other writers who dont "get up" in San Jose (Also, for ref. im pretty sure he's located in SF) are "TOY." Is NECKFACE up in San Jose as well? You seem to love you some NECKFACE, so does the work he does over in Japan on vacation become invalid, like you stated with choes? Bottom line is, know one on here is saying you have to like his work, fermentor666 was just pointing out that your logic is flawed. End.

you really missed the point, man. i dont care how good or bad his art is. that WAS NEVER THE POINT.

And yes his does live in san jose or did for many years and he didn't do shit. thats a fact.

What did he do in LA nothing.

"So following that logic, all other writers who dont "get up" in San Jose (Also, for ref. im pretty sure he's located in SF) are "TOY.""

doesn't make you toy, it makes you a phony by say'n you are a street artist. but never killed any streets.

"Is NECKFACE up in San Jose as well"

no but i'm sure he would be if he lived in san jose. for that matter Neckface is up in SF

is david choe NO and never has been.

as well, neckface lives in NYC and yes is up in NYC...can you denie that?

Originally posted by chokeyourassout@Nov 12 2004, 06:05 AM

"so does the work he does over in Japan on vacation become invalid"

pretty much if you never did shit in the US. its like he went to japan and acted like he was some big time USA street artist, witch really is not true.

street art doesnt include a tunnel and the back of a hair salon you did some art in.

Where did i miss the point, you said earlier that neckface is a better artist, and thats obviously in regards to content. Also, have you actually talked with david choe? Have you asked him wether or not he consider's himself a "BIG TIME USA STREET ARTIST" ? How does living somewhere, choosing or not doing graffiti at the time suddenly make all the work you have done not valid. As far as "street art" being a matter of location, ever heard of the belmont tunnel? Its a tunnel isnt it, and a pretty signifigant spot in LA. What about the LA river, are all the pieces there any less illegal just because they arent done directly on the street? Like i said earlier, it's all cool to have a diff. opinion, just not always the best idea to voice it if you cant back it up with a logical argument/ approach.

you need to reread what i wrote, i never said neckface was a better artist then DC. I said DC's so called street work IE. whales and some ugle skull's are not any better then neckface's shit.

so don't mis quote me.

AGAIN STOP DODGING THE PIONT. ITS NOT ABOUT WHO IS A BETTER ARTIST, ITS ABOUT WHO IS A REAL BOMBER!

"suddenly make all the work you have done not valid."

All of what work? Thats my points, i have never seen DC up. mabye all of ten photos.

and only about 5 from the US...and most of them are tunnels or pussy shots. cuz he has never been up in san jose or SF. and thats a fact.

"As far as "street art" being a matter of location, ever heard of the belmont tunnel? Its a tunnel isnt it, and a pretty signifigant spot in LA. What about the LA river, are all the pieces there any less illegal just because they arent done directly on the street? Like i said earlier, it's all cool to have a diff. opinion, just not always the best idea to voice it if you cant back it up with a logical argument/ approach."

What a fuckn joke. Tunnels are not street bombing, please dont get it twisted. haha yea its illegal. but that shit is pussy you can't just do a tunnel or a creek bed and think your a street bomber.

nobody sees that shit except your peers, bum and crackheads. and taking photos of tunnel shit

and post'n it on the web dont equal being a street bomber.

Ok lets call them tunnel artist not street artist. yu have to do everything to be called a street artist (bomber)

you must not know what bombing really is...streets are billboards, roof tops, garbge cans, mailboxs etc. being up or have been mad up in your life.

"You are 15."

ya ok, nice comment

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

David Choe is our favorite Korean American ex-criminal genius artist. He is also our favorite daring world traveler, who has tackled trips that would make most men turn and run in terror. He’s the guy who traveled deep into the jungles of the Congo on The Vice Guide to Travel DVD, for god’s sake.

For the first season of his VBS series Thumbs Up!, David traveled from coast to coast across America — hitchhiking and hopping freight trains the whole way.

Oh, and all the music you’ll hear in Thumbs Up is by Toronto, Canada’s own Fucked Up — one of our favorite punk bands right now. Shit, they’re one of our favorite any kind of bands right now.

http://www.vbs.tv/shows/index.php?show=Thumbs%20Up!

you need to reread what i wrote, i never said neckface was a better artist then DC. I said DC's so called street work IE. whales and some ugle skull's are not any better then neckface's shit.

so don't mis quote me.

AGAIN STOP DODGING THE PIONT. ITS NOT ABOUT WHO IS A BETTER ARTIST, ITS ABOUT WHO IS A REAL BOMBER!

"suddenly make all the work you have done not valid."

All of what work? Thats my points, i have never seen DC up. mabye all of ten photos.

if you're judging how up he is by how many photos you see on the web and/or in magazines, I think that pretty much nulifies your argument, and proves you're just really a fucking jealous toy.

• 1 month later...

Hey... I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet but David Choe has a short film out called Whales and Orgies an another full length documentary coming out soon called Dirty Hands. You can see a trailer for Dirty Hands at http://www.dirtyhandsmovie.com

I also think YouTube has the full version of Whales and Orgies available.

I find his work to be very inspiring.

• 4 weeks later...

Dude racks his cans and has probably bombed harder than 90% of the fools on this forum... A+ in my book. I don't even necesarrily like what he does, but it's probably better than what you do, so stop bitching. Oh yeah, you see him on 12oz arguing about whose toy or whose art fag or whatever blah blah internet bullshit? Yeah...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived