Fuck Green Day.

ODS-1

Originally posted by fermentor666@Oct 23 2004, 09:18 PM

As far as MTV pop punk goes, they are as good as it gets. I can't really take a punk band that owes it's career to Woodstock 94 and MTV seriously, though. Any message their music sends about rebellion is immediatly countered by the existence of their latest video being on the TRL countdown.

The singer has a great voice..

green day never 'sold out' the rest of the world bought in. the fact that they completely changed up their style to reflect what they wanted, instead of what they knew would sell records is further proof of that.

and greenday were pretty big before woodstock, otherwise they wouldnt have been on it. ;)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

No, they didn't sell out. But they continue to support to MTV steamroller. A band like Pearl Jam stopped making videos for MTV after Ten, Green Day kept making those videos. It's not something that really bothers me, but it's enough for me to not take their anti-authority message seriously after I became older than 14.

I know they were pretty popular before Woodstock, but after that set with all the mud-flinging and chaos they got a pretty big boost nationwide.

Sometimes I'll still hear something like "Welcome to Paradise" and rock out with my cock out.

Originally posted by MOOGLE?@Oct 22 2004, 09:21 PM

on a completely differnt note....

what the fuck happened to fiona apples new album?

did it get canned?

i was looking forward to it ever so much

i was reading that her label had issues with how to market it, cause it was a bit different from her other stuff. i heard a sample, and yeah it is really different.

"indie sucks, harline sucks, emo sucks - you SUCK!"

Seriously guys, they're rock musicians. With the exception of Milo Aukerman and a few others they're just people that didn't want a 9-5 and weren't charismatic enough for acting, lets not take their messages to heart. Green Day was good background music when I was too young to realize these guys are just burnouts with a record deal... for that I can respect their shit.

P.S. I even like the first Less Than Jake album.

Originally posted by fermentor666@Oct 24 2004, 08:42 PM

No, they didn't sell out. But they continue to support to MTV steamroller. A band like Pearl Jam stopped making videos for MTV after Ten, Green Day kept making those videos.

so if all of a sudden you become popular, you should quit what you're doing because now it's applicable to the Mtv audience?!

talk about some teenage mindlessness!

heres a scenario for you...

i have some friends in a band. they're real small, but because they have a 'fan' that works for mtv, they've managed to get a couple of their songs into real world and road rules. lets say enough people hear the 30 second snippets and start asking around on the internet. it starts to generate a buzz and all of a sudden their 'fan' over at mtv decides he wants to help them out, and he pushes to have their video (they're from canada, everyone in canada has a video) put into rotation on mtv2. the buzz continues to grow, they get switched over to regular mtv, and because they all happen to be quirky, attractive guys, girls start falling for them an shrieking when they enter the room and shit. all of a sudden they're selling a bunch of records and getting all kinds of press, meanwhile they're the exact same people, making the exact same music they had for years. should they stop what they were doing because all of a sudden everyone started paying attention? they didnt ask for it, it just happened.

i like green day because green day doesnt give a shit that you're bummed that they're on mtv.

seeks/punk rock = fuck you (no matter who 'you' is.)

Originally posted by seeking@Oct 25 2004, 03:13 PM

people typically don't like the MTV effect because music tends to go downhill. playing small clubs and writing your music is a whole different ballgame from having a ton of varibales thrown into the mix. i think the mainstream music industry is bad, but not the mainstream musicians. look at radiohead.

Hey everyone, remember that kid in grade school? Don't act like you don't know who I'm talking about.. you all know, that kid.

"Green Day totally sucks. Sell-out poseurs!"

"Actually, I kind of like Green Day. They've had some solid material in their day."

"Well, they're not that bad. What do you think about Primus?"

Originally posted by seeking+Oct 25 2004, 03:13 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (seeking - Oct 25 2004, 03:13 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-fermentor666@Oct 24 2004, 08:42 PM

No, they didn't sell out. But they continue to support to MTV steamroller. A band like Pearl Jam stopped making videos for MTV after Ten, Green Day kept making those videos.

so if all of a sudden you become popular, you should quit what you're doing because now it's applicable to the Mtv audience?!

talk about some teenage mindlessness!

heres a scenario for you...

i have some friends in a band. they're real small, but because they have a 'fan' that works for mtv, they've managed to get a couple of their songs into real world and road rules. lets say enough people hear the 30 second snippets and start asking around on the internet. it starts to generate a buzz and all of a sudden their 'fan' over at mtv decides he wants to help them out, and he pushes to have their video (they're from canada, everyone in canada has a video) put into rotation on mtv2. the buzz continues to grow, they get switched over to regular mtv, and because they all happen to be quirky, attractive guys, girls start falling for them an shrieking when they enter the room and shit. all of a sudden they're selling a bunch of records and getting all kinds of press, meanwhile they're the exact same people, making the exact same music they had for years. should they stop what they were doing because all of a sudden everyone started paying attention? they didnt ask for it, it just happened.

i like green day because green day doesnt give a shit that you're bummed that they're on mtv.

[/b]

Seeking, you're totally ignoring the second part of my post.

It's not something that really bothers me, but it's enough for me to not take their anti-authority message seriously after I became older than 14.

I didn't say they should quit, and I didn't say they sold out, and I'm didn't say they suck. I'm saying that I don't take their message of rebellion seriously when they continue to mass-market their product through giant media means. Green Day doesn't give a shit that I'm bummed that they are on MTV, but neither does Britney Spears. That doesn't make her punk rock.

There are bands on MTV that I like and respect, Radiohead being one of the example. Aphex Twin has had videos on MTV. Tricky has had videos on MTV. Etc, Etc. I understand MTV's place in the world of band promotion. What bugs me is that Green Day in particular will have billboards in Times Square and heavy rotation on their videos, where as you're lucky to ever catch a Radiohead video or Aphex Twin. They have the same sort of saturation as all the other pop stars and that makes me take their message less seriously then I would if it wasn't forced down my throat. It doesn't mean I hate them, or I'm going to protest by plastering Operation Ivy badges on my backpack.

Edit: I probably shouldn't use Radiohead as an example because I'm sure they had a few billboards up as well...