spelling lessons with THE LAW

Guest THE LAW

Guest THE LAW
Originally posted by THE LAW

Tomorrow our lesson will be YOUR's and YOURS, followed by THERE, THEIRS and THEY'RE.

THE LAW is painfully aware that today's lesson was supposed to cover the words listed above. However, THE LAW thought that those topics were a little too complicated to start off with. We will cover them in a later lesson.

Todays lesson covers another VERY COMMONLY misspelled word.

LOSER

los·er (lzr)

n.

One that fails to win: the losers of the game.

One who takes loss in a specified way: a graceful loser; a poor loser.

One that fails consistently, especially a person with bad luck or poor skills: “losers at home seeking wealth and glory in undeveloped countries” (Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.).

One that is bad in quality: That book is a real loser.

ok kids.

LOSERS are what you all are. as much as THE LAW dislikes all of you, you are not LOOSERS. nor do you LOOSE the remote control on your television.

Your mother may be LOOSER than Madonna, or maybe the elastic on your underwear is LOOSER than it once was, but a person CANNOT be a LOOSER.

get it?

LOSE=what you do with your inhibitions when you drink too much.

LOOSE=your mother or girlfriend.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you could perhaps shed some light onto the correct spelling of 'ridiculous' that would be appreciated as well. Beardo and I are currently dead locked in a dissagrement as to the propper spelling, however we are also both too lazy to look it up. Thanks.

Guest THE LAW
Originally posted by seeking innocence

Beardo and I are currently dead locked in a dissagrement as to the propper spelling,

THE LAW finds it hilarious that you feel the need to put the "diss" in disagreement and the "peepee" in proper.

Guest THE LAW

ri·dic·u·lous (r-dky-ls)

adj.

Deserving or inspiring ridicule; absurd, preposterous, or silly.

test from dictionary.com as usual

a little trick THE LAW likes to do on the rare occasion he is unsure how to spell something is to type it in Microsoft Word. A helpful red squiggly line will appear under the word if misspelled. THE LAW rarely ever sees this squiggly line so it is very shocking and makes him remember not to do it again.

Re: Re: maybe you should check cracked ass,

Originally posted by cracked ass

I don't have time right now but I will explain later why the confusion you suffer is common.

i don't suffer common confusion, i know very well the difference between possessive form and a contraction. I am currently working on my masters thesis and I can say that i made it through many classes spelling the it is/it was contraction without an apostrophe and was never corrected by any professors.

Guest cracked ass

OK, I have many issues to address.

First off, BUG:

The word ITS, sans apostrophe, is not a contraction of anything, ever. It is, however, one of the only POSSESSIVE terms that does NOT take an apostrophe.

For example:

Johnny -> possessive is "Johnny's" -> Johnny's books are missing.

soldier -> possessive is "soldier's" -> The soldier's meals are tasteless.

it -> possessive is "its" -> The snake has shed its skin.

This is why I compared "its" to "his" and "her".

he -> possessive is "his" -> He has lost his mind.

she -> possessive is "her" -> She has lost her virginity.

dude -> possessive is "dude's" -> look at that dude's hair.

You cannot put an apostrophe in the possessive word ITS. It is never acceptable to do so. If you put the apostrophe in there (it's), you are writing the contraction of IT IS and nothing else. I don't care what any professor told you or what degrees you hold.

The rest of the confusion stems from the fact that many noun/is pairs can be acceptably contracted. For example, let's take the word "Johnny's". Without a context, this could be the possessive described above (Johnny's books), or a contraction of "Johnny is" (Johnny's going to be late). What it can NEVER be is a plural noun (There are too many Johnnys in the world.) NO PLURAL NOUN EVER CONTAINS AN APOSTROPHE. I saw a farm stand advertising "egg's and vegetable's" and I almost burned the place down in rage at the blatant ignorance shown.

Guest cracked ass

I will be back within the hour to tackle accept/except and the extremely difficult affect/effect. I don't think anyone is ready for the latter pair but I'll lay it out for the readership anyway.

Guest cracked ass

ACCEPT vs. EXCEPT

This one should be easy, because they are different parts of speech. ACCEPT is only a verb.

I accept your invitation.

Please accept my apology.

EXCEPT is usually used as a preposition (or is it an adjective? I'm always vague on what to call modifiers like that.)

In any case, I know how to use it.

I'll take them all except for the banner red.

We're all ready except for Jason.

The only possible confusion stems from the fact that EXCEPT can be used as a verb, but not many on this board would do so. (I'm not condescending to you, either - I never use "except" as a verb, I've only heard it from people who sounded kind of stuffy anyway.) As a verb it means to exclude. "Fine sir, I would be delighted to purchase all of your Krylon cans, but I must except those with no pressure, as they are not functional." That means he doesn't want to buy the dead cans.

Originally posted by cracked ass

EXCEPT is usually used as a preposition (or is it an adjective? I'm always vague on what to call modifiers like that.)

In any case, I know how to use it.

I'll take them all except for the banner red.

We're all ready except for Jason.

I don't want to jump in and steal your thunder, but I have an answer ...

Except can be used as a preposition, like your example of "Everyone is ready except for Jason."

Or it can be used as a conjunction. "I would eat the young man's dinner, except that it has diarrhea all over it."

Which, incidentally, brings up another commonly misspelled word - diarrhea.

Guest cracked ass

EFFECT vs. AFFECT

This one is terribly difficult to keep straight. I'm one of two people I know who know how to use these correctly in all cases.

The trouble stems from the fact that both can be nouns or verbs, so there are at least four ways to screw up.

EFFECT as a NOUN is the more common usage by far.

It is pronounced e-FEKT as a noun or verb.

An EFFECT is a result or a change brought about by some action.

Terrorist attacks have had an effect on airport security procedures.

My words had no effect on the police officer.

EFFECT as a VERB is rare except in more literary forums than this one.

To EFFECT something is to bring it about, cause it to come into being. It DOES NOT mean to change something or have an influence on something.

To effect change, one must work tirelessly.

I was unable to effect a solution to our problem.

AFFECT as a noun is almost unheard of. I don't think I've ever used it in speech or in writing, and it's another situation where only stuffy people seem to use it. It is also pronounced differently as a noun: AFF-ekt.

An AFFECT is a posture or appearance.

My opponent adopted an unconcerned affect after losing to me.

Her disinterested affect was obviously a sham.

AFFECT as a VERB is the more common usage by far.

To AFFECT something is to change it or have an influence on it.

It is pronounced uh-FEKT as a verb.

Jordan's heroics did not affect the outcome of the game.

The weather in South America can affect coffee prices.

If this is all too much, there is an easy rule of thumb for AFFECT and EFFECT, which works in 99% of cases when you are not trying to be super-literary with your sentences. If you're using it as a VERB, use AFFECT. If you're trying to use a noun, use EFFECT. Remember, if you AFFECT the outcome, you have had an EFFECT on the outcome. (The first is a verb, the second is a noun in that sentence.)

i could be wrong here cracked, but i know that 'affect' has a large importance in the psychological world as well, which opens it up to a whole other class of uses. i cant think of any right this minute, but i know im not making the whole thing up...

Guest cracked ass

And by the way, Smarticus, you misspelled "privilege" a few posts back, even while trying to raise the issue of how commonly it is misspelled. :mexican:

Guest cracked ass

M.O. stands for modus operandi (Latin, I presume). It means somebody's style of procedure. "The killer's m.o. was to hack into lists of unlisted numbers and their addresses, and ambush his victims outside their houses as they returned home from work in the evening."

==========

Seeking, I don't really know what you mean, but I doubt the field of psychology has altered the usage of those words in any way. Please elaborate.

if crackeds explanation somehow wasn't clear enough, it means 'mode of operation.'

not so suprisingly, i dont know exactly what im talking about. or more to the point, im not totally sure how to explain it. i know there is a specific term 'blunted affect' that is often diagnosed to patients. but outside of that, i cant give you much else to go on. your probably right, its probably similar to what you said and im just making thigns up...

seeking/malopropism at its finest

Guest cracked ass

Seeking, if the phrase "blunted affect" was supposed to be a noun, as in "the patient has a blunted affect", then that is covered under the definition of AFFECT as a noun, and would probably mean that the patient appears emotionless or vacant, sedated or zombielike or whatever.

It would be a stretch but "blunted affect" could mean "that stoned look".:D

Guest imported_Tesseract

I hate to bring an irrelevant question in here,but it seems that an unasnwered question just popped up.

I always wanted to know why college brotherhoods use greek letters (ex.alpha beta gammas)

Guest THE LAW

SPLENDID! THE LAW is very pleased with the developments in this thread.

let's not get too far ahead of ourselves though....baby steps...we don't want to lose the kids who are already behind. Those are the students we need to help the most.

Archived