MELBOURNE GRAFFITI

MG

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the relevance of that article to Melbourne Graffiti?

I think he meant to link a different article. There was some stuff in the papers today about some naughty chaps in old London town.

I could be wrong though - maybe dude is just really concerned about the government evicting people?? "Tell em' to get stuffed"

When did it become acceptable for people to lay down absolute garbage masquerading as pieces? Don’t pretend like you haven’t seen it. The awkward letters, inconsistent lines, overuse of dots/clouds/arrows, fills that look like the inside of a 2 yr old’s diaper. Hipster graffiti, semester style, hot garbage… whatever you want to call this emerging “style”. It used to be you put your best foot forward. Now apparently you put the foot forward that just stepped in dogshit.

But hey, if you have…

A) The right amount of drugs

B) The right amount of hip connections

C) The ability to fool people

D) More than one pair of skinny jeans in your closet

…well hey, you’re good to go as a member of a new writer subclass that differentiates itself simply producing terrible fucking graffiti.

I remember a higher standard that writers were held to when it came to determining status as a major player. You know….clean lines, proportioned letters, multi-color fills. I mean, the things that take practice, dedication, passion. I guess building a strong foundation of talent has been forsaken in the face of tpromises of quick success and glory.

Graffiti always needs new direction and imagery to stay relevant and fresh in the minds of both it’s participants and fan base right? Then why aren’t we seeing more pieces, throwies and tags that should be making the likes of Saber and Revok re-evaluate the amount of time they spend in the studio and in the streets?

Well, instead we now have fools writing the equivalent of a Myspace blog on the wall. What’s this about your “shattered heart weeping over the echos of time in 2009″? Get the fuck outta here with your cryptic nonsensical bullshit.

The crisp alleyway pieces I remember seeing everywhere? Hmmm, seems to be harder and harder to come across the more I go out. Instead, I’m treated to blobby letters rocking sunglasses riding on clouds crusted with stars. Wow, your Peter Max-inspired bullshit was TOTALLY worth dodging four blocks worth of addicts, broken glass, needles and undercovers to get to.

The scene I’ve grown up with has gone from bombing a wall, racking some tall can King Cobras and bum rushing the show to…sipping lattes and listening the latest offering from “Panic At The Disco.“?!? Everytime I meet these particular writers, it’s hard to tell if I’m talking to a man or a woman. Sometimes it’s both actually. Yikes, check for that adams apple son. Really, I’d rather kick it with people I can count on when the shit flies. Not someone that stands back from the action because they were too afraid of their vintage shirt getting wrecked.

Please, someone explain what it is I am missing when I see this stuff. Obviously the hidden meaning behind those crappy letters and lazy fills continues to elude me. There has to be a reason why there are ENDLESS threads on sites like 12oz Prophet where moderators and resident jerkoffs alike crow endlessly about how edgy and cutting edge this stuff is.

Really, it pains me to see a bad ass Natrl thread sink into obscurity while some no-name, rainbow painting, vespa-riding geek enjoys weeks worth of being in one of the top slots with legions of bandwagon jumpers applauding their excessive and “ironic” use of arrows and sparkles. It’s like when you see a really hot girl with an ugly dude. You wonder what the hell you’re doing wrong and you go nuts trying to find answers that just aren’t there.

Personally, I think trying to assign ANY type of meaning to this emerging style gives it way too much credit. Real talk, it’s a cheap shortcut to fame and recognition for those starting out and a sign of laziness for the heads that have been pushing cans and markers for years. If anything this new breed of graffiti gives legitimacy to the efforts of city government and other entities that would like to see graffiti eradicated completely.

Hey, I’m not one to say what is and what doesn’t count as graffiti. That’d put me on a level with a lot of the people I look down on and well, I couldn’t forgive myself for that. But look… what I do know is what I like…and I don’t like this shit one bit..

My greatest fear is that I’m alone in feeling this way. Prove me wrong people.

I'd definitely agree with the majority of what you're saying alldope, but while in a lot of cases I'd say that what is being out is, as you say, absolute garbage masquerading as pieces, I think there has to be some merit given for different styles, or at least an attempt at doing something different. This isn't to say that I think it's good graffiti, but innovators have to be given some credit for trying to push something different. Often times I think the new style they're trying to push is bullshit, but I give credit for trying to push boundaries.

That being said, I do agree that some of the most basic parts of graffiti get straight up passed by - proportional letters in particular. Basic understanding of letterform is something that I think is part innate and part learned, and a lot of new writers either don't have it or won't learn it. If you look at someone like Pilfer's style, or Sirum's, even when doing different things there are underlying principles in the letters that remain the same. These principles are tried and true, and are separate good graffiti from mindless scribbles.

To get back on track, you're definitely not alone, but I think it's important to not tarnish all writers doing different styles with the same brush.

all dope, you're definately not alone

i spend the majority of my time in here looking at guys like bates and swet who actually have style, letter form, colour co-ordination etc

this colourful, bubble lettered, hat wearing, smiley face having, square arrows and mismatched 3D having rubbish is complete and utter fucking shit

too many spectacle and tight black jeans and v-neck shirt wearing art school poofters worried about "making a political statement" or "forging an untrodden path" makes me want to vomit, guys like puzle, denim, reach, duel, pest, mars, pronto, mesk, mist, cash, sick etc must feel ashamed to mention the name of their home town now with the amount of backward primary school style shit coming out

utterly disgraceful

heck, i'd take connex interiors mopped with handstyles over walls with smiley faces, rainbows and unicorns painted on them any day of the week....

*end rant*