weapons education in public school

justaname

so we had this dicussion about gay marriage and sex education in public school in my political science class. this class fills with idiots, they never think before they open their mouth. anyways, we talked about sex education and how hard it is for parents to talk to their kids about sex. this bitch, bush's supporter (oh yes she loves bush very much) and he's against sex education in public school, had a dick that's so big to make her suggested that public school should have a weapons education program too if they gonna have sex education. i just want to let this shit out because this stupid bitch always annoy me in class, i think if i don't let it out here i will slap her next time she says something stupid in class.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest KING BLING

I don't see anything wrong with that suggestion. I am a leftist no doubt and I am skeptical of the gun lobby, but I do beleive that in principal we should be able to possess guns. If you want a better argument than slapping her, retort:

"I agree with you and for the same reasons I think we should not only ban sex education but we should end all anti-drug efforts as well. Both are morally corrupt behaviors that should not be taught nor mentioned in school."

and we she retorts that abstinence should be taught for both stand up and ask the class who has not tried a drug...

this is dumb, but it's not outrageous. it's dumb because sex and guns can not even begin to be compared. sex is absolutely an unavoidable facet of life. guns are not.

when i was in 6th grade, my teacher was an avid hunter, so he taught us the 'hunters safety' course. we went to '6th grade camp' for a week and shot guns. now a days that shit could never ever happen, and to be honest, even then im amazed it did. giving a bunch of 11 year old kids rifles is fucking bad news in the making. anyway, it went fine, we all survived and i learned a lot from it. problem is, that was like 1987 and it was a much different world.

'weapons education' should not be taught in school for the same reason 'sky diving' should not be taught in school. if a particular school wants to run a 'gun safety' course, i think that would be a good idea, but it should hardly be mandatory.

personally, i think this isnt a big deal. you have a girl who is very dumb, but thinks she's smart. there are millions of them out there...they even have a club...it's mascot is donkey elephant.

Originally posted by KING BLING@Oct 20 2004, 01:53 AM

I don't see anything wrong with that suggestion. I am a leftist no doubt and I am skeptical of the gun lobby, but I do beleive that in principal we should be able to possess guns. If you want a better argument than slapping her, retort:

"I agree with you and for the same reasons I think we should not only ban sex education but we should end all anti-drug efforts as well. Both are morally corrupt behaviors that should not be taught nor mentioned in school."

and we she retorts that abstinence should be taught for both stand up and ask the class who has not tried a drug...

that's what we said to her and she kept on trying to push that suggestion forward. i think it's alright to use gun for protection but who would want to own a fucking AK47?

seeking, gun safety course sounds good but it should be just left to the parents *in my opinion*. its easier for parents to talk to their kids about guns than talking about sex. class ends... got to go

Originally posted by SteveAustin@Oct 20 2004, 11:35 AM

weapons education is entirely useless as a mandatory in school. most parents that have guns and kids typically teach them gun safety at an early age. I think I had my first gun when I was something like 8. I'd say the majority of city kids will never even touch a gun.

really?

dood.

around here, a secret service agent's kid shot himself in the head with his father's gun about a year ago.

if this were true of all, or even most gun-owning parents, kids wouldn't be offing themselves and each other in record numbers.

about 10% of homicide victims in my city so far this year are juveniles.

i'd seen two guns, neither of which were mine or my parents, by the time i was 16.

According to the FBI, the increase in homicides committed by juveniles has been related to their use of guns as the murder weapon. Between 1980 and 1987, firearms were used in just over half (54%) of all homicides involving a juvenile offender. Then, firearm-related homicides began to increase, so that by 1994, most homicides by juvenile offenders (82%) involved guns. And the sharp decline in homicides by juveniles between 1994 and 1997 was attributable entirely to a decline in homicides by firearms.

In 1999, about 1,800 juveniles (a rate of 2.6 per 100,000) were victims of homicide in the United States. This rate is substantially higher than that of any other developed country.

i think gun-owners give each other wayy to much credit.

Originally posted by symbols@Oct 20 2004, 02:11 PM

really?

ok...let me rephrase that. every gun owner that I am aware of in my region of the country. there are lots of hunters out here and most of the guns are rifles. we don't really have the tech 9 problem that the coasts have. I'll admit...shits different out there...although it is possible for kids to get their hands on guns at a fairly young age.

I've been to a gun safety course. basically they just teach you how to handle a weapon safely.

the kids that are murdering each other and killing themselves would benefit from more attention at home, a better family life, a therapist perhaps or as seeking suggested...a society that doesn't glorify violence.

yes a certain percentage of child deaths are due to not safely handling and respecting a gun in the home.

There is a big difference between a marksmansip course and a gun safety course. I think that to try to blame the high death rate of gangsters killing each other or mentally ill teenagers shooting people they hate on the 70 million law-abiding RESPONSIBLE gun owners is absurd. If you want to blame somebody, blame the people that flood movies, popular music and popular culture with violence, angst, anti-social themes and opposition to normal society.

I doubt that a gun safety course would be very effective if taught in school. The kids that need it the most learn almost nothing at school already. Since they are not listening to anything else taught there, why would they listen about gun safety? They think they already know everything.

I taught my daughter how to shoot .22 rifles and pistols when she was six. I taught her to shoot my wife's .38 revolver when she was eight. I took her along on militia training exercises when she was fourteen, but I must admit, she was a lot more interested in flirting with the sons of the other militia volunteers than she was in shooting the AR-15 she was carrying.

She qualified on the Texas CCW course with a score of 136/150 at the age of thirteen, shooting a 13-shot 9mm Browning Hi-Power. (Too young to get the permit, of course.)

When she was sixteen, we went up to the training area and I taught her to shoot automatic pistols, a 12 gauge pump shotgun, and to hit the target on the 150 yard rifle range with the AR-15.

I never worried about her being morbidly curious about firearms. She has understood about gun safety and responsibility since she was very young, and she enjoys surprising male friends with her extensive knowledge of firearms and shooting.

This did not come about by a gun safety course, of course, but by a lifetime of participation in shooting sports and firearms-related training with her father.

Originally posted by KaBar2@Oct 21 2004, 01:47 PM

There is a big difference between a marksmansip course and a gun safety course.

I taught my daughter how to shoot .22 rifles and pistols when she was six. I taught her to shoot my wife's .38 revolver when she was eight. I took her along on militia training exercises when she was fourteen, but I must admit, she was a lot more interested in flirting with the sons of the other militia volunteers than she was in shooting the AR-15 she was carrying.

She qualified on the Texas CCW course with a score of 136/150 at the age of thirteen, shooting a 13-shot 9mm Browning Hi-Power. (Too young to get the permit, of course.)

When she was sixteen, we went up to the training area and I taught her to shoot automatic pistols, a 12 gauge pump shotgun, and to hit the target on the 150 yard rifle range with the AR-15.

this topic was about sex education versus gun safety, not gun safety v marksmanship.

i'm sure your daughter will benefit the world greatly with her vast knowledge of automatic killing machines.

that's fucking ridiculous! to teach such a young person how to handle a machine made for killing as much in as short a time as possible.

I never noticed any necessity for sex education when I was 12 or so, back in 1963. I educated myself, along with several of my buddies. We had bull sessions about sex, and when it became pretty obvious none of us really knew much about it, we spent a Saturday down at the Houston Public Library and skimmed every book we could find on sex.

They had a lecture in gym about "hygiene," which was basically a lesson in STD's and how to avoid catching them.

A friend's older brother was pre-med, and he had a couple of books on anatomy. That clarified a few female anatomical mysteries.

I don't know that sex education influences people one way or the other. There was very little that my teachers had to say about things that I really took to heart. It certainly would not have stopped me from sleeping with my girlfriend.

I knew that eventually my daughter would have questions about sex. I sort of figured her mother would handle it. Instead, she came to me, and I was surprised, but not embarrassed. I just dug out my nursing school anatomy book, and handed it to her. Her reading up on it taught her more about human sexuality than she would ever get from any bullshit high-school Sex Ed class. I told her "If you have any questions, just ask." She had a few, but not as many as I anticipated. After that, all her girlfriends would call her for information. She'd come to me, we'd look it up and discuss it, then she'd call them back. I knew more second-hand about my daughter's friend's sex lives than I had any desire to know, believe me.

• 1 month later...

Gun safety and sex ed?

Gun safety is simple: if you see a gun, leave it there. Don't pick the gun up and you won't accidentially shoot anyone. Guns aren't toys, you shouldn't play with them.

Sex ed is a little more complicated. My position is this: the truth never hurt anyone. Knowing the truth about STDs, pregnancy, contraception, sexuality, and sexual health won't hurt anyone. Ignorance can and will hurt people.

I was shooting a .22 LR at the age of 6 as well, owned a shotgun by the age of 9. It taught me the sort of respect for the power of such weapons that I have never pointed one at a human, unloaded or otherwise. I think it would do some kids good to have a quick gun safety / shooting lesson. Then again, some people are fucking retarded.

we don't really have the tech 9 problem that the coasts have.

The Tec-9 problem is that you can't hit anything with them. Baddum-bum ching.

Firearm safety shold be taught so you dont accidentally shoot someone...

Sex ed should be taught you dont accidentally have a baby.

Then again, if you accidentally have a baby you can accidentally shoot it..

"FIREARMS KILL PEOPLE,LIKE SPOONS MADE ROSIE O'DONNELL FAT ""

Archived