Growing Up, I was RZA from the Wu-Tang Clan!

duh-rye-won

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by iquit@Oct 20 2004, 01:49 AM

tesser, i hear what you're saying. there are definitely different cultural standards in different places and what seems rude to a foreigner might just not be rude to the locals.

for instance:

chinese have NO regard for personal space. you know those 2 feet around you, the two feet that people aren't supposed to be standing in because it makes you feel uncomfortable? well they just don't have that. dude's standing next to me, literally touching me in the elevator, i'm in the corner, and there's room for him to spread out, and i need to be inhaling his fucking rank ass chinese body odor and the hairs that are growing out of the mole on his neck are about 4 millimeters away from my grill. or standing in line. this one really kills me. standing right fucking behind me, breathing on my fucking neck with the fucking breifcase tapping the back of my leg. like it's going to make things go faster with his dick up my ass while we wait to pay for lunch. but i understand, that they really just don't have a problem with this. they don't have that personal space issue. so when this happens i ask politely that they back the fuck up. then they back up and stare at my tattoos and whisper to each other. great.

which brings me to the other aspect of rudeness. the shit that isn't just a cultural misunderstanding. the shit that is just inconsiderate.

i've had this discussion with my girlfriend. i asked her, "do chinese people just not think it's rude to stare?". ya know, when i was six and i saw a handicapped person and i was just staring out of curiosity, moms would give me a swift painless smack to the back of the head, and tell me to quit it. so i ask my girl, " do children here learn that it's rude to stare at people?"

the answer is "yes". and do they learn whether or not it's nice to push and shove? i don't give a fuck. if you need someone to explain it to you that it's rude for a young man to push his way past an old lady, well then you are fucking garbage and you should've been aborted.

so tesser, yes, some things that i would in fact consider rude, i can accept that it's just a cultural difference. but there are also some things that fall under a universal category of being fucked up.

hahahaha damn. not only is it true but the way you word it makes it hilarious. post more of these "hong kong stories"

Originally posted by Casual T.+Oct 19 2004, 01:32 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Casual T. - Oct 19 2004, 01:32 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Tesseract@Oct 19 2004, 01:02 PM

I dunno but suddenly this thread made me a bit pissed. I dont concider any of you racist, and god knows i'd do the same if i was in iquits place but still. Rude, polite, cautious are just social standards set by each population...i'm sure that these guys would have to say a ton of shit on how New Yorkers behave, Anyway, fuck it

i don't know why this thread would piss you off. i

c'mon now when motherfuckers push you everywhere you go and stares at you from 2 feet away, yeah of course you gonna be mad.

yes new yorkers are rude but in a different way. they don't push because there's an ethic in new york that if you do, expect something in return. and they don't stare at motherfuckers for the same reasons.

one reason in Korea they stare at you is because as a nation they're homoginized, so as a foreigner they will blatantly stare for long periods of time. in america you're not going to be stared at for being asian, white, black because it's nothing "new" to anyone.

[/b]

this is not what i experienced when i went to visit salt lake city

mormons stare like a mofo at a "china man"

Guest imported_b0b
Originally posted by Tesseract@Oct 19 2004, 01:52 PM

find rudeness very annoying aswell and anyone who'd push me would get puched back at once,

Dude your arm would be sore from punching if you ever went to China, as you'd be punching a 1000+ people an day.

Guest imported_Tesseract
Originally posted by iquit@Oct 19 2004, 08:49 PM

tesser, i hear what you're saying. there are definitely different cultural standards in different places and what seems rude to a foreigner might just not be rude to the locals.

for instance:

chinese have NO regard for personal space. you know those 2 feet around you, the two feet that people aren't supposed to be standing in because it makes you feel uncomfortable? well they just don't have that. dude's standing next to me, literally touching me in the elevator, i'm in the corner, and there's room for him to spread out, and i need to be inhaling his fucking rank ass chinese body odor and the hairs that are growing out of the mole on his neck are about 4 millimeters away from my grill. or standing in line. this one really kills me. standing right fucking behind me, breathing on my fucking neck with the fucking breifcase tapping the back of my leg. like it's going to make things go faster with his dick up my ass while we wait to pay for lunch. but i understand, that they really just don't have a problem with this. they don't have that personal space issue. so when this happens i ask politely that they back the fuck up. then they back up and stare at my tattoos and whisper to each other. great.

which brings me to the other aspect of rudeness. the shit that isn't just a cultural misunderstanding. the shit that is just inconsiderate.

i've had this discussion with my girlfriend. i asked her, "do chinese people just not think it's rude to stare?". ya know, when i was six and i saw a handicapped person and i was just staring out of curiosity, moms would give me a swift painless smack to the back of the head, and tell me to quit it. so i ask my girl, " do children here learn that it's rude to stare at people?"

the answer is "yes". and do they learn whether or not it's nice to push and shove? i don't give a fuck. if you need someone to explain it to you that it's rude for a young man to push his way past an old lady, well then you are fucking garbage and you should've been aborted.

so tesser, yes, some things that i would in fact consider rude, i can accept that it's just a cultural difference. but there are also some things that fall under a universal category of being fucked up.

Iquit, i totally feel you...awesome reply, glad to see noone took my words the wrong way...the personal space ish is terrible...good luck

so what happened?

Guest imported_El Mamerro

Hahahaha... I used to bust out the secret code language all the time in the US on purpose. People would get PISSED, and we would get laughy.

heres my hong kong story.

me and my girlfriend get there at about 11pm, we catch a bus into the city and head to some 'mansion' she knew of. now, 'mansion' is HK secret code for 'the carter project' (think new jack city.) it's a giant building with a big open courtyard in the middle, and it houses all the most vile manner of businesses, sweat shops, whore houses, etc in the city. it also has apartnments and 'hotels'. somehow we manage to find the place, take the rickity ass elevator up and go to the first 'hotel'. by this time its about 1am. ring the bell. door opens up to a little chinese guy in nothing but underwear, we look in: one big room filled with bunkbeds that are filled with asian men in their underwear. naw thanks g, we're strizz. back to the elevator, up a couple flights, go to the next place. cute old guy who had a daughter living in seattle, asking us if we know her, offering us a room the size of the cubicle i sit in right now for $50 bucks. sold.

ok, this story is getting dumb so i'll stop now.

goose, please explain the 'mansions' to them. you'll do it better than i can.

even more annoying to me than the HK folks were the american business man, and the fucking sihks along the water that tried talking me into giving them money for no fucking reason at all. they kept telling me how 'lucky' i was, and that i should give them 5 dollars because i'm lucky. no. die.

ok, thats all, i quit. goose, tell more stories.

yo, i go to school with this older chinese dude, Xiao. Mad nice guy. Sometimes he gives me rides home, and he's always smiling. He has an engineering degree from China, and he used to design hydro towers there. Now he's here, sitting next to me in class, even though he's 7 years older than me. He's got a wife, and his parttime job is Chinese delivery man. The only bad thing I have to say about him is that his breath reeks. I help him with his English on the regular, so he likes me. That's why he gives me lifts, usually. It's basically an English lesson for him.

As for those mansions, my family on my dad's side has something like that. It's this gigantic house in Calcutta with a huge courtyard and open concept living. I chilled there, but that's not where we stayed even one night, as all the people there were not even known to us. But we were distantly related, so it's all good on the hospitality tip.

Originally posted by b0b@Oct 19 2004, 02:56 AM

...but as I am 6ft 5 they didn't really stand a chance against me! As for the staring it does freak you out a little, being very tall and fairhaired made them love staring; I'd be walkign around and you could see people oh-so-blatantly go to their friend "look how tall he is" and then their firend would blatantly turn and stare.

i'm 6'5" as well, and have never been anywhere in asia, but had a similar experience in Italy, another country where pretty much everyone is short. the guys would all grill me when i walked down the street and i wanted to stab them through their diesel shirts.

Originally posted by seeking@Oct 20 2004, 01:40 PM

heres my hong kong story.

me and my girlfriend get there at about 11pm, we catch a bus into the city and head to some 'mansion' she knew of. now, 'mansion' is HK secret code for 'the carter project' (think new jack city.) it's a giant building with a big open courtyard in the middle, and it houses all the most vile manner of businesses, sweat shops, whore houses, etc in the city. it also has apartnments and 'hotels'. somehow we manage to find the place, take the rickity ass elevator up and go to the first 'hotel'. by this time its about 1am. ring the bell. door opens up to a little chinese guy in nothing but underwear, we look in: one big room filled with bunkbeds that are filled with asian men in their underwear. naw thanks g, we're strizz. back to the elevator, up a couple flights, go to the next place. cute old guy who had a daughter living in seattle, asking us if we know her, offering us a room the size of the cubicle i sit in right now for $50 bucks. sold.

ok, this story is getting dumb so i'll stop now.

goose, please explain the 'mansions' to them. you'll do it better than i can.

even more annoying to me than the HK folks were the american business man, and the fucking sihks along the water that tried talking me into giving them money for no fucking reason at all. they kept telling me how 'lucky' i was, and that i should give them 5 dollars because i'm lucky. no. die.

ok, thats all, i quit. goose, tell more stories.

HA!

you MUST be referring to Chung King Mansion, which is in Tsim Sha Tsui East, about 3 blocks away from where i work. if i wasn't so lazy i could take a 30 minute break from work and go take flix.

But as far as i know, that place is one of a kind. it's not like there are these big ass shady warehouse type buildings all over hong kong called mansions. i really don't even know the fucking deal with that place. it's all these east indian dudes, and real deal french speaking african black dudes. (i'm sorry, i'm so bad with this shit, i don't know where the fuck they are from and who the fuck they are. i'm embarassingly bad with people and geography.) the place is just the epitome of shady. they got some GOOD indian food up in that place tho.

back to my drama..

my boss called last night. he couldn't care less that i threatened the kid. he probably loves it. he was actually nervous that i was gonna quit. he was just tellin me not to bug out, he understands it's a stressful time (maaaad busy season). He DID however, SUGGEST that i apologize to Kei. i told him that i understood what i did was wrong and that it warranted an apology. but i also told him that if he doesn't take the apology very well (the kid is KING of smirks and dirty looks) and apologize for being rude, we were gonna have a bigger problem than we had in the first place. so my boss just said to wait for him to get back and we'd have a sit down and squash it.

my contract is up in december anyway. i don't know if i want to renew. i'm actually at a really big crossroads in my life with a lot of big decisions to make. thinking about it makes me kinda anxious and nervous, so i try not to. but this is a topic for a whole other thread...

-Goose Lee :china:

Guest imported_Tesseract

motherfucker goose! you're by far the best story teller on 12oz after boogie hands...anyway, good luck with all that man..if kei fuckin smirks, trash his face with no remorse

Originally posted by iquit@Oct 21 2004, 11:46 AM

you MUST be referring to Chung King Mansion, which is in Tsim Sha Tsui East, about 3 blocks away from where i work. if i wasn't so lazy i could take a 30 minute break from work and go take flix.

http://www.askero.com/asia97/hkh/chung.htm

chung6.jpg

"Note the yellow water in the toilet. This is after flushing, not before."

http://www.igougo.com/photogallery/display...to.asp?ID=99461

Chungking.JPG

ha. i thought HK was just like NY, but more signs i couldnt understand.

most big cities are pretty similar but HK and NY are particularly similar.

mansions arent everywhere? ha. i was under the impression that the city was full of them. i guess i was lucky then. ha. ive got pictures of it someplace. i'll try and find them later.

goose, they hire fools that dont have degrees? ha. cause ill move to HK if i can find a job. why not? i love asian girls.

next time oll boy talks about you in cantonese and laughs, just blow his grill out. the story you'll be able to tell for the rest of your life will be worth the chance of losing your job a month early.

seeks. you can teach english here without a degree. i would also pay you to make sweet sweet love to me.

nuts. i majored in illustration and product design. but i never grajeeated.

tyler. i know we know mutual people. do i know you? it's cool that you were feeling my old LI stuff. got any flics? i sure as hell don't. haha.

ayo/ camoflauge chameleons/ knightbats scalin ya building/. no time to grab the gun cuz goose is hangin from the ceilin/ iquit's the president/ on a different continent/ with chinese documents on how to capture elephants.

^:china:^

you guys thought i was kidding with that sucker-duck emcee line. hells no. if you had any idea how many times the night ended with me an goose in some crazy after hours spot surrounded by electrooclashh sluts and thug dudes, rockin the cypher, then...well... you'd know it actually only happened once. but still. goose is sent here by god to take hip hop back for the peoples. fight the power!

yo goose, can i bed girls just on the strength of being a tall american with tattoos?

seeks/one love