De Sign with Diggity

Guest diggity

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i used to be 'ahead of my time' as far as graphic design was concerned. i know i was doing really cool stuff that didnt look like everyone else.

then i quit trying, and the whole world caught on and caught up. now i'm too jaded and too overwhelmed to continue trying to make a contribution to any of it.

and as joker said, there is some serious ass struggle biting going on. it's really pretty sad. dude is not only an amazing designer, but from all my experiences, a really cool guy. people need to get off the dilsnick.

thats design for you though.

tons of biting...and since the client is the one with the money...they usually get what they want....whatever's current.

I recently did an illustrator piece. shit was far easier than I realized. import the photos you want traced in and voila...instant 'hand made' art.

Guest imported_El Mamerro

^Hahaha, so did I. I'm wearing it right now. Already managed to spill alfredo sauce on it... I'm a fucking mess.

I also got the molotov monkey, and the unicorn sex one.

...i feel what kats are saying about graphic design these days, marks are afraid to step outside of that box, and come with some truly original 'ish...with so many heads in the game, it's hard to seperate the real visionaries from the faking jacks...but, thank god for those kats in the field who really love the art and make it their business to keep building and pumping out fresh, hott, visually stimulating shit...anyways

...lately i've been more inspired by wild fashion design and photography

the following images are from "Atomica" magazine vol 2 no2 summer 2004 issue

de01.jpg

de02.jpg

de03.jpg

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by seeking@Oct 22 2004, 04:43 PM

we need to get one of us to have a shirt in print on there.

i was looking through the desings. 8/10th's are the same tired shit.

booooring.

Yeah, besides the ones I bought there were two others that caught my attention, but were out of stock. One had a cool polar bear floating over the left breast, the other had some erath-colored bird outlines on the bottom left.

Maybe one day I'll try my hand at it.

...some other shit that i've been feelin'

the following images are from "Japanese Graphics Now" Taschen publishing ISBN 3-8228-2589-1 edited by Gisela Kozak & Julius Wiedemann

de04.jpg

package/product design

de05.jpg

print (signage for Katta hospital(japan)

de06.jpg

web (sountain.com)

...oh yeah...this thread is hott

i think in part is that Illustration has gone computerized as well.

so its also illustrators becoming graphic designers, because of the use of the computer.

i think the illustrators have an upper hand at it because they are more about composition/color/flow and only need the extra education of typograhy to make their "designs" that much better.

its not so much as "graphic design" but like you said, "graphic art"

Originally posted by kidlugz@Oct 15 2004, 02:24 PM

aesthetic apparatus is my new favourite design co. granted, the nature of their clients probably helps in developing such an eclectic/hip portfilio.

and in regards to the redundancy in design comment i say this:

in this day and age you could probably throw a rock into a crowd and hit a "designer". alot of what we're seeing in this post isn't neccessarily what i'd define as traditional graphic design. in my opinion alot of it falls into the "graphic art" niche. you know, neat looking pictures that have absolutely no meaning outside aesthetic considerations. which is exactly why most of this looks so cookie-cutter. content driven by style. people go online, whip through design is kinky or newstoday, see something cool and emulate it without ever even considering coming up with their own concepts. and i'm not suggesting that everyone should be original, simply that you have to determine content before you can apply some sort of visual solution. and looking at a lot of contemporary design i tend to believe very few people bother to stop and think before they jump to illustrator and begin tracing deer or clouds or whatever the flavour of the month may be.

i'd bet the farm that if you asked most designers today why they used helvetica in this logotype or why they put those arrows in the corner the answer would be "because it looks good".

right.

these are definitely well done, im just bored of the subject matter. maybe these are the dudes that set it off, and everyone else ruined it, but either way, its just really tired now. its like how rave flyers were a few years ago. all demo design and shit. it looks good, but its like....booooring.

seeks. demo used to do flyers for me back in 96 (for free). holler.

• 2 weeks later...