Illustrator

dosoner

just a quick question. you guys i expect know alot about computing and i was wondering. if somebody downloads illustrator or photoshop illegally then how likely is it that they get caught or tracked if that is possible because i have heard of people being fined and so on.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of the latest Adobe products come with a "call home" function so if you are online and launch an app itll send a ping to adobe with your serial number and IP address;

however adobe doesnt really have the resources or drive to take it to every illegal individual and generally looks for companys or orther large institutions to take to court. So i wouldnt worry too much at all.

If you know where it is the "call home" function can be removed, although i forget where it is located...

turn off your action scripting.

Adobe has only confirmed that they do this when you take things off their website. iT's similar to Microsofts "sneak and peak" on your hard drive when you download their free products. If your action scripting is off, they can't "call Home". If anyone wants more info on it go to Googlegroups, there are plenty of posts.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by shirkone+Jul 26 2005, 04:54 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shirkone - Jul 26 2005, 04:54 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-diggity@Mar 20 2005, 03:48 PM

style1a.gif

Anyone know of any tutorials or anything that can teach me how to make this kind of style from real pictures? Cheers.

[/b]

Would really appriciate how to do this stuff

• 2 weeks later...

There's some real cool artwork in here! Inspirational for sure.

Kinda new to Illustrator so I have too many questions to ask. But I'll ask a fwe to get me started...

Background patterns...

Do you guys make your own? And if so, how do you do this?

If you don't... where do you get them?

Tutorials online...

Such a thing? Beardo has shown me a few things that have been real helpful but now I want to know way more.

Thanks in advance...

theres alot of ways to make patterns.. one way is setting up a grid and manually repeating elements...personally.. if im making an actual pattern with a complicated overlapping repeat i build it by grid.. if you just want to repeat an object to make a simple..patterned fill to use on an object..

you make whatever shape or shapes you want to use as the pattern go under the edit drop down menu and go to (define pattern) name the pattern.. now when you check out your swatch palette theres solid color/pattern/gradient..your new pattern will show up in the pattern section..

heres the thing that makes this less usefull.. the bounding box (ie the imaginary rectilinear footprint your shape makes defines how the pattern is repeated)

to define a pattern in photoshop is pretty much the same procedure.

word.

let me know if you need clarification.

this guy builds beautiful wallpapers which you can download..

http://www.squidfingers.com/patterns/

he does it through scripting which can be found on the site.. its actually pretty interesting.

any other questions?

Okay, that's perfect! More than I could have asked for.

What's stupid is, all I'm trying to create is a pattern that is super thin lines running diagonaly. I've seen this on a several sites but I don't really want to make a shitload of lines to make my own pattern. Do I just make a small set of lines and then make a pattern of those? Will the lines meet up perfectly if I do that? I guess I could try and see...

Thanks for the link! That's cool they're free!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

so.. does it make eps files? thats what im assuming.. whats the compatibility like with illustrator. especially.. with like the feathered gradients..

alternate programs.. sometimes end up being a waste of time.. because it can slow down your normal work flow.. trying to function between two programs doing the same thing but different interface layout and order of operations.

BoB,

Xara does create eps files. It can export to .ai, .swf, .jpg, .png, etc. It does have fewer features than Illustrator, but has some of its own that you end using quite often and the interface is much more intuitive. You can also do alot of the tedious effects, like opaque to transparent gradients in one step rather than creating masks like in Illustrator.

If you create a graphic in Xara it will open in Illustrator without a porblem. The only exception is the transparent gradient. That will often have to be re-created in Illustrator.

Id say getting used to the interface and the overall feel of the app would take maybe a couple of hours. I used to use Illustrator for all of my icon design and such and switched to Xara because Im able to work much more quickly. Id say check it out.

Originally posted by foneiz2@Jul 26 2005, 09:41 AM

just a quick question. you guys i expect know alot about computing and i was wondering. if somebody downloads illustrator or photoshop illegally then how likely is it that they get caught or tracked if that is possible because i have heard of people being fined and so on.

This is an old post, but this was brought up in my typography class once but we were talking about typefaces. My teacher said it only becomes a problem if you are making money off the design or especially if you win an award with illegally obtained fonts/programs. Other than that, it really doesn't matter...

what beardofzeus is saying is that unless youre a corporation or individual gaining...money and recognition for the work youre doing will you be targeted.. all in all most people are under the radar.

its not like program manufacturers are unaware that large numbers of people use their programs illegally.. its that eventually.. you will need to purchase the program..or fonts.. legally in order to function as a legitimate professional.

if youre making flyers for your cousins birthday in photoshop and use lets say..'Mandrax BS' because they like MTV2 so much.. youre not going to get a cease and desist letter from the type foundry and Adobe..

not to say im promoting the use of non purchased programs.. im just saying.. in the long run eventually youll have to purchase it.. but realistically only when your ready to G up and be a professional.

-bob

Archived