Illustrator

dosoner

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its fucked. when i was a 'kid' i could teach myself programs no problem. now it's like trying to talk the devil into trying anal for it's first time.

i know i'd like some of the stuff you can do with it, but im just afraid it would take me so damn long. i guess i should just pull up some tutorials, i just dont have the time to invest. oh well. i'd probably just make a bunch of generic shit anyway. fuck it. im going back to slangin yayo.

shit..yeah...online tutorials suck though...i know for myself i don't have the patience for it...i'm trying to teach myself maya now and it's just like...sifting through bad information trying to find out a little bit about what i'm trying to do...

there's usually some good books on the programs you're trying to learn..but then again..sitting there with a book takes the fun outta the shit...and makes you lose motivation...by the time you work out your inital idea, usually the spark is gone...

i used to try to approach computer software like video game...like remember back in the day when you'd play super mario brothers and sit there for a couple days trying to master the "turtle trick"...i tried applying that mentality towards photoshop and stuff and sometimes it works...but some software is way too technical for that approach....

...i like to get a foothold first by going into the help files...then i just play around and see what i can do...it really helps if you know someone else that is using it, even if they're just learning too, you can share things you figure out and see how people do things differently...the only reason i've really been working on learning it is for job oppurnunities...allthough even now my resume says i'm an expert, even though i barely know shit...

most of the shit in illustrator is pretty basic...

the biggest pain to learn is the bezier tool...and what sucks about it also is the bezier pen tool works different between illustrator and photoshop..different hot keys..different ways of closing points and curves...

but once you get it ...the rest is pretty smooth...

how do you make lines like these?

i'm familiar with the super clean looking stuff, but how do you do things that are more 'textured'? is it just by defining brushes, or what?

and lets say with this image for instance. would you take an original picture, then take the pen tool or whatever it is, outline all the area that are a specific area, fill them in, then make another layer and do the same for the next color? basically what i'm asking is do you have to define any area you want filled with the pen tool, or can you do it like photoshop, where you select a color on the 'base' image, make a new layer, then fill that area on the new layer?

does that make sense?

tanktemp.jpg

yeah...me and johnny been knockin some shit out this year...

with that image...it looks like it was a photograph that was brought into a streamline..which is a bitmap to vector conversion tool...well..that's prolly how i'd do it if i wanted to create somethin like that...

but you could technically sit there and trace all the color fields and layer and stack em...

cool. you've been doing some real nice stuff. johnny's showed me some flics.

streamline makes a bit more sense. do they have that for osx yet? or is there something that has taken it's place? i'd like to use it but im not loading 9 back onto this thing just for one program that i'll hardly use.

that was done all in illustrator. i found a picture of a tank i liked and definded all the diffrent color areas i wanted by outlining them with the pen tool and setting the fill to whatever. all the parts that are "unclean" i guess you would call it are just small paths drawn in with the pen tool. im sure there is a better way to create the same image, but its the only way i could figure it out, i dont know shit about illustrator.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_El Mamerro

I'm gonna agree with LastBoyScout. The tank and camera looks EXACTLY like what Streamline (or even Flash for that matter) would produce, with the same line styles and little remaining bits and offset outlines. I would imagine if it was done by hand it would look vastly different, regardless of the stylistic avenue you took.

I dunno dos, only you know for sure, but if it was done by hand I suggest picking a different style, cause nobody's gonna appreciate for what it is otherwise since it looks Streamlined.

That last bike though, if all vectors, is absolutely fucking insane, even if it was made through an automatic process. I tip my hat to whoever made it, or whoever designed the tracing app (it sure wasn't Streamline).

The bike was all hand done, gradient mesh is a powerful tool if you got the time.

and bobby photo realism is just cool. when that was done it killed memory so much in order to work i had to do 6 different files then put them togeather at the end.

heavy you got vector work. lets see

Archived