Hobos, Tramps and Homeless Bums

KaBar

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I really don't feel there is an issue with stealing things. The real problem to me lies with having too much stuff. Once I get a mass of junk in my possession than I feel like I need more. This usually happens when I'm settled into a house. I can feel my freedom being bound by worthless shit. Much better to live knowing I can always make it with minimal possessions. So really what I'm saying is, steal the absolute necessities to living if you have to.

Back in the 1970's I was in the I.W.W. It's kind of sad, what happened to the Wobblies, but the organization just kind of outlived its time. It still exists, you can find it in five seconds on the internet.

Anyway, this old 65-year-old Wobbly I knew, Gilbert, had an adult son that got sentenced to five years in the Michigan penitentiary for shoplifting three LP records. (You know, those 33-1/3 RPM vinyl disc albums from the Old Days.)

That's the harshest sentence I ever heard of for shoplifting, but it wasn't his first shoplifting offense. He got caught a couple of times before that and they gave him probation, etc. The third time it was like "You just don't fucking get it, do ya? Do not steal shit!" WHAM. Five years.

I figure people who have been told who still do it anyway actually want to get punished.

When I got my 18 months, I had been busted several times so I got hit with an extended sentence, misdemeanor enhanced to a felony.

It's not so much a matter of wanting to get punished, it had just become a lifestyle. Why should I pay for shit if I don't have to? As I got older and therefore had more to lose, I out grew the lifestyle. Same with "getting up". I don't give a fuck if everything I ever put my name on has been gone over. I still respect the cats that are out there doing it, that's why I'm on this board but it's not for me any more.

Memories of memories. Do your thing.

We live in a society based on the principle of private property. Obviously, we do not live in a purely capitalist society. If we did, government would not provide a thing except things which we must create collectively for each individual to enjoy. National defense is a good example. Public health is another. It's difficult to create good public health without an effort to protect the average person's health by protecting the poorest and weakest person's health. Obviously, those people who work and create wealth are going to be able to afford to purchase top-notch health care for themselves and their family. They don't need public health care, but they do need people who cannot afford to provide their own health care to not come down with a bunch of infectious diseases. Ergo, public health care.

Some people, for whatever reason, choose to avail themselves of public health care to avoid providing their own. These people are not only screwing the members of the public being taxed to provide public health care for the poor, they are ALSO screwing the genuinely poor people who must wait longer, make do with fewer public health care dollars and so on because of the people who should be providing their own health care, but who are chiseling instead. The system sows the seeds of its own destruction by encouraging this "get over", entitled attitude on the part of the chiselers. Other people who see the chiselers receiving public assistance for which they should not qualify decide to do it too. After all, I deserve those welfare dollars and public health care dollars more than Charlie the Chiseler. Right? More and more and more people try to "get dem a check" instead of WORKING FOR A LIVING.

This entitled attitude begins to spread. Why should I raise the children I created? Why should I even support them? Fuck that. I'm all about ME, I don't give a rat's ass about my kids. Why should I be a loyal husband and father when there's all that free pussy out there? Why should I work, when I can steal and get away with it? Why should I get an education when I can just deal drugs or rob people?

Pretty soon you can walk through a neighborhood and not find a SINGLE GODDAMNED FAMILY that has a father at home. NOBODY is raising the kids, they are just left to fend for themselves. The people in the neighborhood who want a normal life try to sell their houses, but can't, because property values have fallen, so they rent the house and move. The renters don't own the property, so they don't give a shit. They let it deteriorate, and it shows. Since obviously nobody cares, WHY NOT tag shit up all over the neighborhood? I'm big enough to defy my mother and I got no Daddy to tell me a fucking thing. I can just do whatever I fucking please, and there's nobody to tell me "no."

Until I get arrested. Now there is a judge who tells me "You must go to school." "Your curfew is 8:30 p.m. If the probation officer catches you out after 8:30 p.m., you're going to Juvenile Detention." "You can't smoke cigarettes, it's illegal." "You can't drink alcohol, it's illegal." "You can't use any kind of street drugs, they are all illegal." "You will follow your mother's rules, or else I will put you in Juvie. In there, you will definately obey me."

Maybe I don't believe the judge the first time. I get caught out, and charged with VOP. I go to Juvie for a month. Then I get caught again. Back to Juvie, for two months, maybe three. Can the judge tell me the truth? NOoooo. If he does he might be violating my precious civil rights. He says "You are having trouble complying with adjustment to new circumstances. Poor you." But what he should say is, "LISTEN UP, BOY. YOU WILL OBEY ME, OR I WILL USE THE ENTIRE POWER OF THE STATE TO MAKE YOU OBEY. UNDERSTAND? Go ahead and defy me again and see what happens. You want to spend your entire youth sitting in a jail cell? Be my fucking guest."

CHILDREN think that they can do as they please. This includes children who are grown, but who never matured. They may be 35 or 40, but they still act like 12-year-olds who need a spanking.

Our prisons are FILLED with these baby-fied "men."

They have never grown up, never accepted the responsibilities of adulthood, never been responsible for their own actions. They cannot obey the laws and customs of society. They go around acting all bad ass, demanding a sort of perverted version of respect from others, but the bottom line is that they are spoiled, entitled LITTLE BOYS.

NOT MEN. NOT HUSBANDS. NOT FATHERS. Thirty-year-old "baby daddies" who are pretending to be "grown up." It's disgusting. And it is destroying our nation, rotting it from inside out, with millions and millions of children being raised by unmarried single mothers, on welfare, with no father, no self discipline, no self respect and no hope or respect for the rights of other people.

It is a near-complete failure of manhood in the United States. And if we do not CORRECT IT our country is going to self-destruct.

So, if you want to steal, then go right ahead and steal. But when you get caught, whether you are a Bernie Madoff or some little spray-paint shoplifter, DO NOT EXPECT MERCY because you are not going to get any. You know you are wrong from the gate, and if your life gets fucked up, you did it to yourself. NO WHINING about how unfair it all is, because you knew already that breaking the law was wrong.

• Like 1

i hate when people complain about getting busted for doing illegal shit. FUUUUCK. i thinik they should be forced to do 2x as much jail time. haha!! it sucks getting busted for sure... but you know its breaking the rules so you know just deal with it or dont do whatever youre doing in the first place. blahblahblah.

werent we talking about trains? no lectures on stealings... to quote the guy who punched his dog "I RIDE FREIGHT TRAINS MOTHERFUCKER WHAT DO YOU DO???"

I guess I beat the shit out of people who abuse animals. I cannot tolerate such cowardly behavior.

In my opinion, the worst thing that can happen to a person is that they are clever enough to get away with dishonesty. One little thing leads to another little thing, then a little bit bigger thing. They start off racking candy, and then they steal a bicycle, and later burglarize a house and so on and so on.

When the guy finally gets busted, he says "It's not fair. I didn't do anything that bad, to be locked up and treated like this."

Except that he did. He did scores of crimes for which he wasn't caught. Nobody starts out robbing banks. They all start with some insignificant little thing, like racking candy, or racking paint. They justify their crimes to themselves by saying "I'm not really hurting anybody. Insurance will pay for it. It's better for me to cheat on my taxes than it is for the government to use the money for something with which I do not agree --the war in Iraq, or federally funded abortion, or giving it to oil company executives."

And yes, I've stolen shit in the past (including spray paint with which we tagged the neighborhood with our gang name, about 1963. I was twelve.)

Stealing rides on freight trains is illegal. I've done it hundreds of times. I only got ticketed once and the Assistant D.A. dropped the charges that time. Nevertheless, the railroad doesn't belong to me, it's private property, and they are 100% within their rights to have me charged with tresspassing if they catch me on their property. I would have no reasonable complaint, because I already know it's illegal, but I choose to do it anyway. I guess if the punishment was great enough I might quit. But so far, it's not great enough to deter me.

Eight years ago when I started this thread, I said then that I thought stealing is wrong. I still think that. People should earn their own living, and should take care of their families themselves. It's nobody's job but our own. The world does not owe us a fucking thing, and we should not entertain ideas that we are entitled to anything we have not earned.

BUT. If I play music on the street corner, and people choose to give me a buck, that's earning.

If I wash windshields with a squeegee, and people give me a buck, that's earning.

If I even run a three-card monte game that entertains people enough to convince them to play, that's earning too. People who sell weed are in business, it's just that their product is not a legal one. If it were a legal product, there would be nothing wrong with dealing weed. However, I do draw the line at people selling addictive drugs like heroin or crack. (But alcohol is legal and if one is dumb enough to become addicted to it whose fault is that? Jim Beam? Jack Daniels? I don't think so.)

We must take responsibility for ourselves and our own actions. Don't make excuses. I ride trains sometimes, and if I get caught, it's on me and nobody else.

Kabar for the win. 1963 tagging taki 183 son. :)

I have never complained once about a single day I've been locked up. I knew going into it what the consequences were and chose to take the risk any way.

You are right in that it starts small and escalates.

So now, does the CSX Q108 to Boston still stop at the manned HR cabin on Thursday at 1am in East St. Louis? It would be cool if it did.

In my opinion, the worst thing that can happen to a person is that they are clever enough to get away with dishonesty. One little thing leads to another little thing, then a little bit bigger thing. They start off racking candy, and then they steal a bicycle, and later burglarize a house and so on and so on.

BULLSHIT.

bull fucking shit.

that is not a rule. thats like saying someone who smokes weed is gonna end up being strung out on heroin if they dont stop. NOPE. no way. no how.

if that was the case id be locked up for fucking bank robbery by now. i started shop lifting heavily when i was about 9 or 10 years old. i had stolen many 1000's of dollars worth of stuff from stores before i was even a teenager. id never break into a house. or steal a car. or steal someones bike. never. N E V E R. i will shoplift whatever i can when i feel like doing it and not feel too bad about that. there is a line. there is a world of difference in robbing a person and racking. i know plenty of people who are the same. stealing paint or food or clothes or whatever from a store is not the same as breaking into a house. now some people are definitely more likely to end up going down that road but ot say THIS IS HOW IT GOES is totally bogus man! i actually know more than a couple of people who have broken into houses stolen cars etc etc who have never really shoplifted at all as a matter of fact. they think its nuts to just walk out of a store with 1000 bucks worth of merchandise like nothing.

ha. so yeah. im calling bullshit on this one. i could be somewhere and someone could just leave a pile of money sitting out. i wouldnt take it. because im not a fucking shithead. onoce i was black out drunk and took a handful of change from a dude i was staying with. felt like a jerk for that. i just dont do that shit. not my style. im probably an exception because im not a fucking moron but yeah. i dont agree with that statement at allllllllllllllll.

MORE TRAIN TALK PLEEZ.

this is getting boring.

"I ain't got nothing, but you can always have half" -- Chico Marx

Yes I have eaten at Collinwood's. and yes I have eaten from dumpsters. I just feel better buying my food and knowing what it has gone through. There is a reason they throw food out. here in Massachusetts, most food establishments are required to lock or otherwise make their dumpsters inaccesible to people. The reason being if you eat that dumpster food and get sick, you can sue the establishment that threw it away. It's the unlimited liability crap that we face here in MA.

Stealing from Walmart? Kabar is right, the crap you are stealing from them ain't worth the years in jail you will get. Wal-Mart will rip you a new one, just to set an example.

Locks? Inaccessibility?

When your out there on vacation doing your thing (at least to me) these two words do not exist.

I like the stealth missions through fences and through locks and woods and onto roof tops. I like to grab a gas can and go stand at a busy intersection and make 200 bucks in 1 hour.

I like to gaffle from corporations, and build teams on the street of people working together to get over, so when you have been on the road or rails for two weeks you can afford a nice hotel room with a bath and shave and a chance to wash all your gear.

I just got back in to my house and girlfriend. I LIKED walking up smelling fresh and looking clean with new gear on because i got cracked over the head while i was asleep and my pack and bag and stack were gone. Instead of calling in and catching a wire i went and flew a sign and grinded so hard with a broken wrist and gigantic gnot on my head that i could afford to go get everything i needed. I liked learning about how much you can actually acomplish if you are stronger, faster, smarter.. I liked grinding all day and all night in a city i had never been to and really didnt know anyone, and even if i did, how would i call them?

Now if you knew where a dumpster full of naked juice was.. And all it took was some basic military tactics to fill up a few duffels with PRE experation date juice, you wouldnt be down to risk your ass getting it? I mean you can live off that shit and when you walk up to a shelter and drop a box off? MAN, you get that good feeling..

This isnt "on the road".. What we sometimes do when we need to go through some REAL LIFE shit and get by might not be what society dictates as correct or cool or whatever. But it is pretty fucking american IMO.

I just went vagrant for three weeks and feel like i went from a little boy to a big man. After reading every page of this thread i got severly drunk and woke up south of san antonio. 2000ish miles from home with a greyhound ticket stub and a crew change. Twenty bucks to my name. You pick shit up really quick when you dont have a choice but to man up and handle some serious shit. Never been to texas and dont know a soul there, skinny white kid hauling ass and staying wasted. whatever.

My woman said i have changed, theres a forgiveness in my spirit and a much deeper understanding of the nature of humans in general. I am not going to begin about how many kids i met that were scared as fuck and on the streets for theyre first time.. No knowledge, no money. You gotta show them, help them, get them to move and groove, and smile, and get money and backpacks (at least).. Thats when all the stupid shit i did as a adolesent and young adult began to lift. Thats how you wash your soul.

P>S>FUCKWALMARTSCOPAUNIFORMANDWALKOUTWITHITALLFROMTHEBACK>.

BULLSHIT.

bull fucking shit.

that is not a rule. thats like saying someone who smokes weed is gonna end up being strung out on heroin if they dont stop. NOPE. no way. no how.

if that was the case id be locked up for fucking bank robbery by now. i started shop lifting heavily when i was about 9 or 10 years old. i had stolen many 1000's of dollars worth of stuff from stores before i was even a teenager. id never break into a house. or steal a car. or steal someones bike. never. N E V E R. i will shoplift whatever i can when i feel like doing it and not feel too bad about that. there is a line. there is a world of difference in robbing a person and racking. i know plenty of people who are the same. stealing paint or food or clothes or whatever from a store is not the same as breaking into a house. now some people are definitely more likely to end up going down that road but ot say THIS IS HOW IT GOES is totally bogus man! i actually know more than a couple of people who have broken into houses stolen cars etc etc who have never really shoplifted at all as a matter of fact. they think its nuts to just walk out of a store with 1000 bucks worth of merchandise like nothing.

ha. so yeah. im calling bullshit on this one. i could be somewhere and someone could just leave a pile of money sitting out. i wouldnt take it. because im not a fucking shithead. onoce i was black out drunk and took a handful of change from a dude i was staying with. felt like a jerk for that. i just dont do that shit. not my style. im probably an exception because im not a fucking moron but yeah. i dont agree with that statement at allllllllllllllll.

MORE TRAIN TALK PLEEZ.

this is getting boring.

Exactly what im saying. Next time i want to meet up with you. I thought about going and messaging some of you guys.. But i decided this first time was personal and i almost wound up dead several times. Woke up in the ICU one night. Whatever, next time i want to meet some people. I just needed to be alone.

RACK ALL DAY NEVER HURT A PERSON UNLESS THEY TRY TO HURT YOU.

Right on. I wish I met up with you kind of folks last time I was riding. Last time it was just a lot of run ins with young asshole kids. I like the older generation of train riders, they are informative and sympathetic. The young generation is cool, but there seems to be too many kids trying to prove how tough they are, and I always end up running into them.

Exactly what im saying. Next time i want to meet up with you. I thought about going and messaging some of you guys.. But i decided this first time was personal and i almost wound up dead several times. Woke up in the ICU one night. Whatever, next time i want to meet some people. I just needed to be alone.

RACK ALL DAY NEVER HURT A PERSON UNLESS THEY TRY TO HURT YOU.

yeah if you ever come through texas again holler at me. i know people everywhere who like to have fun. ha!

oh man its almost train time. amigos will be here by the weekend and its time to be dirty and stinky once again. well im already stinky...

You guys who are trying to justify crime as "getting over" are not going to like this, but you are about to kill the goose that laid the golden egg. How long before tramps and train riders are rejected and vilified by everybody in society? Ten years ago or so, it was nearly impossible to ride the High Line because of all the stupid misbehavior of people who decided they were some kind of outlaws who did not need to behave like civilized human beings. It took a couple of years, but Montana finally passed laws which could be used to put trainhoppers in prison. P. W. got six months in Wisconsin, and they were talking about ending him up for twelve to fifteen years. If the shotgun with which they caught him had been an 1/8" shorter it would have been five years in Federal prison.

People who commit crimes on the rails are known as yeggs. It is not anything to aspire to.

Dumpster diving, flying a sign--these are ways of getting by when you can't find work. Ripping off society is going to bring down the hate on everybody.

"To live outside the Law, you must be honest."---Bob Dylan

• Like 1

I'm not one to argue, because each of us is most definitely entitled to our opinion. But I feel like honesty waved bye-bye to America a long time ago. It's hard being compassionate in a social structure that is based on being selfish.

Why the fuck was dude on a train with a sawed off?? If he knew enough about the law to keep it 1/8th of an inch over legal, he should have been smart enough to leave that shit at home or somewhere other than on his person.

Why the fuck was dude on a train with a sawed off?? If he knew enough about the law to keep it 1/8th of an inch over legal, he should have been smart enough to leave that shit at home or somewhere other than on his person.

He was so against shoplifting from wal mart (tuna and sharpies), that he needed it to bring down his own game. :lol:

• Like 1