Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hobos, Tramps and Homeless Bums

Guest The Texas Madman

I am looking to do a Modern Hobo-Tramp Documentary, RIDING THE RAILS-TEENAGERS ON THE ROAD DURING THE DEPRESSION was a good start but it left one with the feeling that Hoboing ended when those individuals retired from the rails. Nothing could be FURTHER from THE TRUTH! Since I first hit the rails in 1972 at age 13 [after my mother died, and I had no other relatives] to today I have know that the culture DID NOT END

AFTER THE DEPRESSION WAS OVER! Also when he was alive Steamtrain Maury Graham stated that a hobo of his era was collecting Biographies of hobos to have for a public record but died during the recording of these

documents. Now these Biographies are lost to the 4 winds. So I want to do this kind of activity before the Old-timers that I first started my Hobo Life with are gone for good, as well as cover hoboing to the present day with the young hobos that have inherited this rich history and culture.

My aim is to interview as many as possible onto a DVR with a 300 GB Hard Drive, next take a few rides with selected people to get the on-the-road coverage and point of view. Also audio record peoples points of view, and finally take a long distance ride to do some more railriding footage, then go into the studio at a hosted college to put all this

together into 1 if not 2 DVD's to be made available on a per order basis.

I will still need help in logistics, travel, video coverage, and interviews, so I am looking for someone, or several someone's that would like to get involved on this project. There is no cash payment involved. But the memories are worth more than all the Gold in Ft. Knox!

If you want an idea of the style look I am going for with this documentary project, as well as the kind of music that MAY be used go to YouTube and type in - hobomusicvideos - these are music videos that I have made or the public consumption. And this is what I hope to have the final Product looking like!:)

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just checking in.  Looks like this thread is pretty dead--not much traffic.   I am thinking about heading to Salt Lake City.  Anybody live out there?

Some crazy rando on the side of the tracks playing with his nipple piercings in 35 degree weather. 

Posted Images

Guest The Texas Madman

Kabar I've made another report to the manager of this group to Have these last 3 diatribes removed, and it seems that the person who removed them the last time is someone I know from Pennsburg!

Guest The Texas Madman
I deleted those three off topic posts. Continue to use the Warn function if he continues, and I'll ban him without another warning. Thanks.

WILL DO! Once Again - THANK YOU!

There seems to be a huge gap between older and younger rail riders. The whole punkrock-trainriding thing changed the dynamic. Most trainriders these days don't have much in common with hobos of the past and don't care. There's a lot of drug and alcohol abuse among trainriders.

Guest The Texas Madman
There seems to be a huge gap between older and younger rail riders. The whole punkrock-trainriding thing changed the dynamic. Most trainriders these days don't have much in common with hobos of the past and don't care. There's a lot of drug and alcohol abuse among trainriders.

This is the same train of thought that we who rode between the 1960's to 2007 have had to fight against, and it's this ideaology that permeates too many tabloid news shows giving the wrong impression to the general public. And it's that general public that we all need to sway to our aid in fighting against these news and police fuckers that want to kill us all off!:D :D :D :D

this all seems so romantic almost

I don't even know if riding freights is done in the UK, we are probably too small lol but the idea of going to the US and catching out on a freight (after much research and reading) and rolling through the huge states and landscapes is one of the most appealing aspects of visiting in my eyes

maybe because im drunk haha

Guest The Texas Madman
this all seems so romantic almost

I don't even know if riding freights is done in the UK, we are probably too small

I have 2 friends in England, 1 named "Limey", and the other named "Zipper", and both have related to me at 1 of my e-mail addresses, as well as the Trainhoppers List at http://www.trainhoppers.nw, that freight hopping there in England as well as Scotland is alive and well. But in those countries you have to be more stealthy than you do here in the U.S., also trainhoppers in England are called "Tramps" instead of "Hobos", they also stylize their "Road Clothes" in the "Charlie Chaplin", or in All Black British Marines style clothing!

:cool: :cool:

thank you very much for the info, tramps in the UK have a remarkably bad image and sadly i think it is something that the vast majority adhere to. I am really yet to have seen a tramp/hobo in th UK that wasn't the pure junkie/alcholic sad grip of life, even after talking to many of them. Mayeb they were just inner city homeless rather than travelling hobo types, i imagine it is just my ignorance to peoples backgrounds and their lives but the view from this thread is a much different life

I will defintely check out those sites, altough sadly what with family and job demands (well not sadly as my family are amazing) i dont know if it is anything more than a glimpse at carefree days!!

Guest The Texas Madman
thank you very much for the info, tramps in the UK have a remarkably bad image and sadly i think it is something that the vast majority adhere to. I am really yet to have seen a tramp/hobo in th UK that wasn't the pure junkie/alcholic sad grip of life, even after talking to many of them.

I'm sure now that you have only followed the direction of many in feeling that Hobos and Homeless are the same thing, SADLY This ideology is spreading here in the States too! However reading on other web sites concerning hobos you'll find out better info on whom to look for and where to look. Mostly check out places OTHER THAN in London, or Liverpool, "Limey" is telling me that "Tramps" are are more prevalent on the outskirts of Major cities in England, or further into the countryside!

I will defintely check out those sites, altough sadly what with family and job demands (well not sadly as my family are amazing) i dont know if it is anything more than a glimpse at carefree days!!

I've heard this from what we call Civilians [General American Public], however if interest is there, then investigation and adventure is not far behind!

:cool: :cool: :cool:

This is the same train of thought that we who rode between the 1960's to 2007 have had to fight against, and it's this ideaology that permeates too many tabloid news shows giving the wrong impression to the general public. And it's that general public that we all need to sway to our aid in fighting against these news and police fuckers that want to kill us all off!:D :D :D :D

I'm not exactly following you. What train of thought and ideaology are you refering to?

My statements are based on my opinions of hundreds of 16-35 year old trainriders I've met.

I know plenty of good ones, but most are douchey.

Guest The Texas Madman
My statements are based on my opinions of hundreds of 16-35 year old trainriders I've met. I know plenty of good ones, but most are douchey.

So I guess us 40 - to 60 year old Dead Head, Weed Smoking, Former Heroin using Train Riders are not what you want to use for a reference point too? Still The Railriding Nation has had enough bad press over the last 20 years or so, why not go after the idea of giving another point of view for folks to see. Otherwise Bill Curtis and the A&E Channel, as well as Retired Spokane [spook-a-loo] Police Detective Robert Grandennetti [Granden-Asshole] will; be the only ones people turn to when asking About Freight Train Riders!:D :D

Are there any other train hopping writers on here?

yessir.

texasmadman... that documentary sounds like a good idea.

i was hitching from nola to houston the other week and one of the rides i got was from a guy in his early 60's who used to ride trains when he was a kid. it was awesome. he was actually surprised that people still did it in 2008.

I'm not exactly following you. What train of thought and ideaology are you refering to?

My statements are based on my opinions of hundreds of 16-35 year old trainriders I've met.

I know plenty of good ones, but most are douchey.

haha. douchey...

there are plenty of dumb kids out there.

met plenty of them in new orleans last month.

one dude was trying to explain to me how normally hes really crusty and dirty and shit but he gave away all his patched up fucked up clothes and got some new stuff. like that somehow mattered. i guess to a lot of those fools it does. if you dont smell like a dead animal youre an oogle..hahah

Guest The Texas Madman
haha. douchey...

there are plenty of dumb kids out there.

met plenty of them in new orleans last month.

I've met plenty of them on boards like this [maybe you're one too], but as far as on-the-road the ones I've met, Jungled with, and traveled with [regardless of their age or body decorations] are less the druggies, and more the down-to-earth Train riders. And as far as the body decorations go.....................JESUS CHRIST FOLKS, I remember when not long ago it was considered of folks that got Tattoos as being in a gang, or becoming a Satan Worshiper, Quit looking at the outside and start looking at the inside!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

I don't care what the general public thinks of train riders. As far as I'm concerned, the less they know the better. The only people's opinions who matter are other trainriders, all the railworkers and the bulls. Just like with graffiti, it's by the writers, for the writers and fuck everyone else. As far as TexasMadman's opinion goes, I'd care if I could decipher his posts.

I've met plenty of them on boards like this [maybe you're one too], but as far as on-the-road the ones I've met, Jungled with, and traveled with [regardless of their age or body decorations] are less the druggies, and more the down-to-earth Train riders. And as far as the body decorations go.....................JESUS CHRIST FOLKS, I remember when not long ago it was considered of folks that got Tattoos as being in a gang, or becoming a Satan Worshiper, Quit looking at the outside and start looking at the inside!

cheers to that friend.

Guest The Texas Madman
I don't care what the general public thinks of train riders. As far as I'm concerned, the less they know the better. The only people's opinions who matter are other trainriders, all the railworkers and the bulls. Just like with graffiti, it's by the writers, for the writers and fuck everyone else. As far as TexasMadman's opinion goes, I'd care if I could decipher his posts.

You're gonna' be a fun one to write to on this board, but if you REALLY FEEL ANIMOSITY TO ME we could meet face to face, Goon-Stick to Goon-Stick. Like say....................THE BIRDCAGE in Denver, or on the south side of Roper Yard?