Hobos, Tramps and Homeless Bums

KaBar

Guest The Texas Madman

April 16 - 20, 2008

Amory Mississippi. 330th Annual Railroad Festival. Hosted by Loco Larry & Hobo Queen, Ms Charlotte. Supper will be served for the Hoboes at Loco Larry and Queen Ms Charlotte's on Thursday.

This one originally started up 29 years ago when Steamtrain Maury Graham [R.I.P.] thought of moving himself and his wife Wanda to a warmer climate. It is still visited by several long time riders, as well as retired riders, and would be a great break from the Ice and Snow, and from there you can get trains to Jackson Tennessee. Amory is a Crew Change on the BNSF.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Guest The Texas Madman

Jackson Tennessee is served by Tennessee Western Railroad which can be caught every other day in Fulton Kentucky next to the CN/IC yard. And also every other day in Corinth Mississippi on the North side of town where the KCS intersects with it!

I just got an email from Stray Cat Julie, she finished her teaching contract in Korea and is back home in Canada. By the way, she's not from Quebec, she's from Halifax, Nova Scotia. Julie is something of a paradox---she's quite attractive and intelligent, and well educated, but she still chooses the hobo life. He boyfriend doesn't ride trains, in fact he's kind of a homebody, but Stray Cat rides all over the place! They stayed at the Eureka Hilton a few days on their way back to Canada from Mexico. They had a huge, day-glo colored, touristy-looking Mexican straw sombrero that they brought with them hitchhiking all the way up from the border. They stayed in the old Hilton, which was pretty well thrashed, even back then.

thanks a ton texas madman for the info. but many of my questions still remain unanswered.

1.I'm still wondering what the stance on the crowds will be concerning young aspiring hoppers coming to these festivals and wanting to meet many of them and obtain some knowledge; possibly even wanting to catch out with them.

2. if the water valley meeting is going to take place at all.

3. if young hoppers will be in attendance at these festivals; nothing against the older crowd at all but i have quite a feeling they won't be at great ease with younger crowds asking them questions and wanting to catch out with them.

Thanks a ton for all the info and your replies.

......... catching out or not I'm just wondering if these festivals will be worth the time or if your not an experienced rider you're just going to be stared at oddly when trying to listen in.

i hope greatly that many hoppers or not that the crowds will be open to share stories with non- hoppers and even valuable information on hopping. I know nobody really interested just wants tons of kids trying this stuff but for the ones really wanting to learn the right way it's quite hard to find the details when living in a small town where it's extremely rare to come across hoboes or other hoppers without it being some crackhead.

Guest The Texas Madman

It sounds like you're kinda' paranoid, just take a chance and come down, I'm sure you'll find out your fears are UNFOUNDED!

Beetlejuice, it's pretty laid back. Most of the older riders are pretty open to talking all about trainhopping. There are always a few younger people there, but it's not usually a huge crowd. There's a big difference between the guys that are out there riding 24-7 and the people that usually show up at a Hobo Gathering where there are going to be a bunch of civilian tourists. Even the hard core riders moderate their usual behavior when they are up at Britt or when they go to some railroad festival.

99% of the people in the world could not care less about hoboes and trainhoppers. When tramps show up at a gathering where people appreciate the hobo life, the tramps usually try to be as friendly and accomodating as they can be. I've had tourists come up to me at Britt and ask "Can we take your picture? Would you mind posing with my grandkids in front of the Hobo Museum?" Guys like Iowa Blackie sometimes say they will agree if the photographer buys one of his books of poetry. (Blackie writes poetry and makes calenders that he sells to people.) Some people just say "Naw, I don't do no pictures," or "I can't, my probation officer will find out I'm up here and get all pissed off." But most tramps just go along with it and are nice to the tourists. After all, if there were no tourists, there would be no Britt Hobo Days.

A lot of tramps have got some little gig that they do to make a few bucks selling to the crowds, like selling walking sticks or Hobo Gear hats or copies of the Hobo Times or train whistles carved out of wood or something else like that. They have to either figure out a way to make a buck, or fly a sign, or go to work. So a lot of them are into some kind of craft items. Texas Mad Man is a great embroiderer. He has sewn up a whole patchwork quilt made out of pieces of old blue jeans and embroidered every square. It hangs in the Hobo Museum in Britt. He also embroiders the "King of Hobos" patch and "Queen of Hobos" patch that is given to the newly selected King and Queen each year.

Like I said, in general, it's pretty laid back. Be friendly, be polite and everything will be cool.

I was flipping through SNG today and I ran across some great deals on rucks. Go check out www.gunnyssurplus.com

They've got woodland camouflage medium ALICE packs, with packstraps, for $20. You can get 10 or more of these without packstraps for $4 a piece. M-65 Extreme Cold Weather parka, $22. Cold weather pant liners, $3. Extreme cold weather "Brown Bear" jacket, small or medium, $2 each.

OD green medium ALICE ruck, no frame or packstraps, $20. OD green large ALICE ruck, no frame or packstraps, VG condition, $12. USGI duffle bag with shoulder straps, $6.

yhst-13847541009239_1990_4159989 Medium camouflage ALICE pack $12

yhst-13847541009239_1990_8892091 Medium OD green ALICE pack $10

yhst-13847541009239_1990_8903757 ALICE pack frame $20 (with packstraps as pictured)

yhst-13847541009239_1990_8910502 ALICE pack packstraps $10

yhst-13847541009239_1990_8920644 Large OD green ALICE pack $12

yhst-13847541009239_1990_3742154 Swedish Army ruck with frame $8

thanks much for the info kabar and madman. can't wait to come and meet the vets. hopefully including you two. I'll try to have some cash on me so i can purchase some of the crafts for sale. also-are non-hoppers going to be welcomed down at the camps to hang out through the night. i definately hope to hear as many stories as possible. see you guys and gals there. thanks again

-beetlejuice.

Guest The Texas Madman
I'm still wondering what the stance on the crowds will be concerning young aspiring hoppers coming to these festivals and wanting to meet many of them and obtain some knowledge; possibly even wanting to catch out with them.

By "Crowds" I guess you are referring to the Older Hobos, and Present Riders, and at this gathering [Amory Mississippi] it's often referred to as A FAMILY REUNION [without all the bitching, and back biting]. Just realize 2 things - 1.-This IS The South, so you'll be seeing Confederate Flags almost everywhere, and 2.-Amory Mississippi is in a Dry County. There'll be folks going to the nearest town [Newport Mississippi] to get beer seeing it's in a WET County, so you won't go completely Dry. But the Park set-up we have to ourselves is directly in the line-of-sight of Amory City Hall, the Amory Police, and the City Jail.

If the water valley meeting is going to take place at all.

As far as I have heard Water Valley is still between Amory and Jackson Tennessee, but am unsure what the dates are!

If young hoppers will be in attendance at these festivals; nothing against the older crowd at all but i have quite a feeling they won't be at great ease with younger crowds asking them questions and wanting to catch out with them.

There will be somebody there to catch a train ride with, Stretch always goes to Amory.

Catching out or not I'm just wondering if these festivals will be worth the time or if your not an experienced rider you're just going to be stared at oddly when trying to listen in.

More often at Amory you're gonna' be stared at if you walk around in a suit and tie.

i hope greatly that many hoppers or not that the crowds will be open to share stories with non- hoppers and even valuable information on hopping. I know nobody really interested just wants tons of kids trying this stuff but for the ones really wanting to learn the right way it's quite hard to find the details when living in a small town where it's extremely rare to come across Hoboes or other hoppers without it being some crackhead.

I'll bet after Amory and finding out the info you're looking for you'll end up saying to yourself.............."God, I didn't know there were all these people to keep in contact with for train riding"......................

Guest The Texas Madman

I Plan to, although this spring I will be periodically going round the country to interview any riders I knew/know for my PERSONAL VERSION of a Hobo Documentary. This will probably take 3 years to complete!

Guest The Texas Madman

BTW - Who the H&LL is this - Boxcarro_a1 - dude?, he's been e-mailing me at one of my personal e-mail addresses alot of indecipherable Hate and Radical Prejudice CRAP!

Guest The Texas Madman

Born and Raised In Lampassas Texas, Lived with my wife for 18 years [off and on] in Ft. Worth Texas in an apartment next to the Cotton Belt Railroad Yard [4 blocks off of Vickery St.] worked in the winter months at Ranch Style Beans, worked in the summer and Fall Months at various locations across the U.S. and Canada in agriculture, Medium Weight Manufacturing, Long Shoreman on the Great Lakes working out of Ottawa, and Sault Ste. Marie, as well as Mobile Alabama.

Lived for a few summers in Tyler Texas maintain Harleys for The Tyler Long-Riders, Lived 3 winters South of Corpus Christi [little Town called Flour Bluff] Bartending for The Banditos. Worked for Quaker Oats in Cedar Rapids Iowa and lived in an apartment owned by The Chosen Few. All this muscle flexing is useless, so let's review what I originally stated.........It's chiken shit to berate each other on a e-mail board, why not meet with me face to face at say...........the Armourdale Yards in Kansas City and haggle this out - Oh Shit-Carro?

Guest The Texas Madman
Who was the person who EMAILED me & called a

me a "GODAMNED JEWISH FAGGOT>"

I think that was Flat Car Frank, or at least it went something like this................."Nah, those ladies would swallow him whole, he likes little boys".................This was in reference to my comment that I had some Ladies who are American of African Descent who could accommodate you in getting laid!

Guest The Texas Madman
I bought old NORMAN FARMER'S tattoo joint from him & his lover....they lived in SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS.

Then you know where the Old El Dorado Saloon used to be.

Ever hear of "TATTOO JOHNNY?"

Sure have, Heard he's a BLOW HARD, that you?, hey.........I have OLD COUNTRY here as a visitor, he blew in on CSX, he tells me you must have been in the joint with YOUNG COUNTRY. He states he has never served time except in the Marines as a member of a UDT Team. And if you're confused over this the UDT is the forerunners to the SEALS. I even looked up his record for him seeing he's wanting to get his FULL MEDICAL now that he's 68, and having problems he can't cure with "A Little Weed".

OLD COUNTRY I respect, he was out here on the road when all the Railroads used to be pulled by Steam Engines!

Guest The Texas Madman

OK, now you all have seen it, the last 4 letters were a sample of the spam this guy has been sending to me and at last count 48 other people. So if you don't want to wade thru these diatribes to get to what you were looking for then we all need to band together and get this guy removed from this e-mail/message board!

Guest The Texas Madman

Finally got ahold of the one movie that has eluded me - BOXCAR BERTHA - about 51 minutes long this movie loosely details the life of Bertha L. Thompson from her life with her Crop Duster Father thru her meeting up with Big Bill Haywood, Hoboing, Life in a Chicago Whore House, to the end of the movie where she runs after the train that Railroad Thugs have crucified Bill on. Spiking his hands to the wall of a Boxcar.

Supposedly it is the only movie that David Carradine [who played Bill] starred in with his father John Carradine!