Hobos, Tramps and Homeless Bums

KaBar

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Mello--What part of Massachusetts are you in? The main route east-west is the CSX line that runs from Boston to Worcester to Springfield to Albany, NY; to Syracuse to Rochester to Buffalo and down the Lake to Cleveland, Ohio. I wouldn't go south from Boston, personally, but that's just me. "Go west," that's my advice.

Anybody that finds my posts, opinions or beliefs annoying is certainly free to go elsewhere. Last time I looked, this thread was clearly marked. If ya don't like it, don't come here and then it won't bother you. Some people just love to make themselves unhappy. What a waste of time and effort. (Let's see, where is that "Ignore" button again?)

im from metrowest area, about 20min from boston

hit me up on pm's if you can...

KaBar, much respect for your info and patience with us youngsters and the occasional jackass. I've got a couple thousand miles under my belt and am looking to add to that this summer. I've ridden from Oakland to Roseville twice on gm trains, and from Roseville to Portland twice also on gm. Feather River Canyon is a real life changer. I've also hopped blindly from Portland to Hinkle on a vision quest where I lucked out on the ride back to the city of bridges on an autorack with an open door carrying Dodge Durangos. I surey got what i was searching for... What a sweetride; keys in the ignition, air conditioner on blast!

I'm planning on taking the High Line to MPLS from SEA. I've got a CCG and I know a good spot to hop out from Seattle. I'll be riding a DS or piggyback. From what I gather, you don't favor either mode, but I've got good information on how to do both. My question is this: How hot is the High Line right now? I know that Spokane and Havre are my big risks, but I was hoping that you could fill me in on any new developments since 2005.

Also: What is your opinion on riding piggy back? I've heard that the axles of the trailers provide a substantial hiding place. Piggy backs are also the fastest cargo, no?

Again, much respect for sharing. I read your posts everyday. And yes, you need to write a book. But you still got a few more years of travel, you aint dead yet!

Keep it up.

DONTTRIP--

It sounds like you've got a pretty good handle on things already. The problem with the Hi-Line is that if you get arrested the judges are pretty harsh up there. I heard they were giving regular sentences of six months, then that dropped to ninety days. The last I heard it was thirty days. Still, thirty days is a pretty harsh sentence for riding on a freight train. If you are a full-time 24-7 tramp, well it's inconvenient, but hardly a genuine deterrent. But if you are a part-timer with an apartment and a girlfriend and a job, thirty days could really mess up your life.

I still think if you follow the rules you could ride the Hi-Line without getting busted. I tend to think most people who get arrested are either careless or skylarking. Or both.

LEAVE NO TRACE. DO NO DAMAGE. MAKE NO DISTURBANCE.

A good hobo is like a ghost. You never quite get a good look at him.

So Boxcarro, let me get this straight-- you are a Yankee-hating, train-riding, Southern Jewish hobo? Who has an ongoing feud with Flatcar Frank? Gee, I always thought Frank was a pretty laid back, easygoing kind of guy. Maybe you could explain this feud in greater detail.

Story i googled upon and it instantly reminded me of reading Kbars storys...

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,1424960,nodelay=1

Exerpt:

I ride freight trains in the belief that I can trust myself, that I deserve to be trusted even to be a reckless fool if circumstances so turn out--and, after all, if I am dead as a result of my own folly, I am no worse off than if I died safely and soberly. The most cogent thing that can be said against train-hopping is that it is the unauthorized borrowing of others' property--that of corporations, not fellow citizens who would be inconvenienced. I am a microbe hitching a ride on an elephant's trunk! Besides, so many of my proudest deeds have been unauthorized by somebody that I now subscribe to an aphorism by Georg Lukács: Breaking a law is approximately as weighty a matter as missing a train. And when the train throbs and hisses on the track, I'm not going to miss it, not unless some other law begs me for violation! All the same, I am proud to say that I have always followed the advice of an old black hobo I once met in Roseville: Never steal anything but a ride.

William T. Vollmann

If ya have about a half hour or so its worth the read.

As I've said before, I'm more an admirer of grafitti than a writer. I decided some time ago that being a worthwhile grafitti writer requires a degree of artistic talent that I do not possess. Rather that go around fucking up perfectly good clean cars, I just admire it. Sometimes I streak cars with "KABAR" or "K-BAR."

Stretch writes "Stretch and Burlington Dog K-9" followed by XX's for the number of years Burl had been alive and riding trains underlined by some railroad tracks.

It is true that 12 Oz. is a grafitti website, but this forum is officially for anything to do with trains. I pretty much stay off of the grafitti forums, and restrict myself to the one spot where I feel that discussing my interests is appropriate. So far, it has not been a problem for anybody, I guess.

If anybody has tried to IM me and found my IM turned "off", I apologize. I'm not exactly computer savvy, so sometimes this sort of shit slides by me. I thought I had turned it on a long time ago, but maybe I didn't. Wierd shit, like "That's funny--I don't remember doing that. . ." (cue creepy Stephen King music.)

Nothing much happening, the weather in Houston has been rainy and shitty. Typical. The entire city is like some equatorial mudhole, HOT, STEAMY and BUG-INFESTED.

Summertime is a good time to go ride the Hi-Line. Unfortunately, I have to work! Sucks.

• 1 month later...
some junky scumbag left his/her syringes laying around at eureka.

fuckin jerks.

YO D-MAN...... THAT WAS ME...... THERES A TRAIL FROM EUREKA TO MEMORIAL

DOWN TO WILLOW BEND!!! ALL USED SYRINGES....THEY TRAIL STRETCHES OUT TO SUGARLAND

THEN ONTO ROSENBERG....THEN TO EAGLE LAKE......OFFF THROUGH COLOMBUS AND WEIMAR AND

SCHULENBERRG,,,, ONTO FLATONIA....GOES INTO SHINER....THEN ON TO THE NEXT TOWN.....ALL

THE WAY INTO SAN ANTONIO....

HAVE FUN PICKIN THEM UP...

YO SFR IS MAD JUNKIES YO!!!!

New 2007 King of Hobos--King Tuck, of Minneapolis, MN.

Tuck is a long-time rail rider, close friend with Preacher Steve, Dog Man Tony, the late Shot Down Wills and Eight-Ball and the rest of the Boys. In the last few years, genuine rail riding tramps have been elected King.

tuck.jpg

King Tuck and his Queen, Lady Sonshine, of Maine, at their election in Britt.

k&q2.jpg

YO D-MAN...... THAT WAS ME...... THERES A TRAIL FROM EUREKA TO MEMORIAL

DOWN TO WILLOW BEND!!! ALL USED SYRINGES....THEY TRAIL STRETCHES OUT TO SUGARLAND

THEN ONTO ROSENBERG....THEN TO EAGLE LAKE......OFFF THROUGH COLOMBUS AND WEIMAR AND

SCHULENBERRG,,,, ONTO FLATONIA....GOES INTO SHINER....THEN ON TO THE NEXT TOWN.....ALL

THE WAY INTO SAN ANTONIO....

HAVE FUN PICKIN THEM UP...

YO SFR IS MAD JUNKIES YO!!!!

i had no idea you guys were into that shit... i mean i know you guys paint some junky graffiti like its 1978 or something..but i would have never guessed you were actual junkies. very interesting.

we were riding back to austin 3 weeks ago and had to jump off our train in weimar after we got spotted in columbus by a train in the siding. it was fuckin lame. we had been sitting on the train in some middle of nowhere siding for like 12 hours then we rolled like 10 or 15 miles into that stupid little eagle lake yard and sat there for like 12 more hours. this was like the slowest train on earth. just when we were about to get off the train and say fuck it i heard them say they were ready to go and we finally start rolling at a decent pace and we get seen and some fool called it in. lucky i had the scanner on... we were creeping by a train in the siding in weimar im pretty sure they were looking for us but we jumped off and went to chill at a gas station. some weimar cop asked us like 10 times how we got there. i think he knew what was up. i guess he didnt really care oh well...

i need to get g-ma's number so next time she can have some chicken fried steaks waiting. ha!

Nope, I can't recall ever riding through Rochester, N.Y. I rode mostly in the West.

thanks...just wondering...

no offense, but being a trainhopper seems kinda cool until stuff like THIS->[url=http://www.philly.com/dailynews/local/8064627.html][/url] happens...im not blamming anyone or anything, its just a rather scary local event that i wouldnt want to be part of....

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/local/8064627.html