Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hobos, Tramps and Homeless Bums

Yes, I have ridden IM well cars. It's actually a lot easier to hit a grainer or a TTX 48 IM well car or a gondola car than it is to hit a moving boxcar. It's all dangerous, don't get me wrong--I do my dead level best to not hit rolling trains, but cars that have a ladder that gives access to the ride are much easier to hit. I used to hit rolling revenue boxcars (the old kind, not the new plug-door boxcars) back in the day when I was in my twenties. I was younger, and much stronger, and much, much crazier.

Stretch and I rode from Mason City, Iowa, to Shreveport, Louisiana, without once needing to hit a rolling train. We came close once, in Clinton, Iowa, on the Mississippi River, but the train (which was rolling very slowly) stopped for a signal where the ICE crosses the UP Superhighway at the swing bridge. (The UP Superhighway runs from L.A. to Chicago.) We had a full ten minutes to board and stash our stuff. I rode back in the grainer hole on a ACF Centerflo hopper car. Stretch and Burlington rode on another, identical grainer, also in the grainer hole. When we got to Davenport, the train crew told us "Hey, there's open boxcars about ten cars back." So in Davenport we detrained and re-boarded in a nice, clean KCS PD boxcar, and cracked open the door about five feet, then clamped down the door latch handle, locking the door open. It never moved an inch, all the way down to KCMO.

My advice--NEVER HIT A ROLLING TRAIN. It is not necessary if you use your head, and figure out where the trains are going to stop for signals or crew changes. Hitting rolling trains is for chumps. Be smart, and get your train while it is STANDING.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just checking in.  Looks like this thread is pretty dead--not much traffic.   I am thinking about heading to Salt Lake City.  Anybody live out there?

Some crazy rando on the side of the tracks playing with his nipple piercings in 35 degree weather. 

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Heard from Stretch again. He made it to Shreveport in the rain. He's holed up with a couple of friends of his, a homeless guy and his girlfriend, who lived under a bridge somewhere in Shreveport.

He told me that he got locked in a boxcar for the first time in his entire railriding career. He boarded a plug-door boxcar and was so tired he went to sleep and didn't bother to winch down the door. When he woke up, he was in pitch black dark in some railyard and he was locked in. The door slid shut while he was asleep, somewhere in Louisiana.

Fighting a rising sense of panic, he used his flashlight to find the car number (which apparently is located INSIDE of every rail car as well as outside--I didn't know that) and started making some phone calls on his pre-paid cell phone. Finally, he managed to get the number of the Yardmaster in the yard his tain was in. He told the Yardmaster what was going on, and the number of the car, and the Yardmaster basically said "You've got to be fucking kidding." Finally he convinced the Yardmaster to send out a switchman to locate the car. When the switchman found the car and knocked on the door, Burlington went ballistic, barking and snarling and going apeshit. The switchman said "I'll be risking my life to open this door," but Stretch convinced him to just open it a few inches and then retreat. The switchman did so, and Stretch got the door rolled open by himself. Once he got all his shit out of the car and on the ballast, the switchman gave him a lecture, from a safe distance. Burl barked his ass off.

But they didn't call the cops. Nice guys.

Anyway, he's in Shreveport now. He called me up with a skinfull of booze, just to let me know what's up. I'm thinking about taking the Dog up to Shreveport and riding down the Rabbit with him and Burl.

I went up tyo Shreveport on the bus and met up with Stretch Thgursday night. He woke me up, sleeping in the bus station, and we walked down to the jungle and drank a couple of beers about 0400. Along about daylight we got up and made coffee, then walked over to the beer store for resupply when it opened. After meeting several of Stretch's tramp buddies, we walked to the UP yard and visited Ricky's camp, then started lookingh for a Houston train. Inityially we boarded a boxcat, but another train on the mainline looked better, so we got off the boxcar and onto a Cadillac grainer. This was kind of a debateable situation, because it looked like rain. The grainer pulled at 4:00pm, and no sooner than the train cleared the city limits, it started to rain a little.

The Rabbit is a fast ride generally, but we looked to be following our boxcar, and the Cadillac grainerr train was running about 25 or thirty, but once it started getting darker, the hogger put his foot in it and we were probably running 60 or 65. The grainer started to shimmy above about 60. It was a lot of fun--the tracks run in a sort of alley made by the pine forest, so the sensation of speed is enhanced. We stopped and went into the hole about midnight to let a northbound pass (it's single track most of the way with sidings) and we met the conductor, who got off to throw a switch. Crew change was in another little town, about 0200 this morning, then it was a straight, freezing-ass, rainy run to Houston. We blasted right through the Humble crew change point and went on south across Rabbit Junction, and into the Hardy Yard/ Englwood switch, took the switch to Englewood and conveniently slowed WAY down. She stopped for about a minute just west of the Englewood receiving yard, and we bailed off, me first, thern Burl, then Stretch pitched the gear.

It was fun, despite the rainy ass, cold ass weather. More to come. Beer run. Here's a pic from our trip down from Britt, that's me in a autorack east of Boone, Iowa, just after sunrise.

Stretch and I tried to post it using different approaches for about an hour, then we got disgusted and went to buy more beer. For some reason it won't let us post the picture. I think it's too big for the allowable size on 12 Oz. Allowable size is something like 3 mB and this picture is over 10. I think I added some screwing around trying to blur out my face just enough to make it hard to tell who it is.

So Pfffft--send me the instructions for posting pics on this sonofabitch and I'll try to get it to fly.

BTW, the fiber optic cable company brought a crew through laying cable, and they bulldozed a fucking freeway through the brush RIGHT NEXT to the jungle. Missed the hooch by maybe twenty feet! Plus there has obviously been a few shitheels crashing at the Hilton, and what a bunch of disgusting pigs. Stretch and I have been piling up garbage and trying to straighten it up all day. Some idiot scrapping out a reel of copper wire left ten tons of plastic insulation all over the place. Scumbag behavior. I hate streamliners, especially thoughtless, don't-give-a-shit, entitled dickhead streamliners.

Gotta go to work tommorrow, so I'm out of here. Sure was a fun weekend.

Originally posted by KaBar@Oct 17 2001, 02:16 AM

..."B-Rations" are large-portion containers of field rations, but prepared by the cooks, and served hot, usually out of insulated Melmac containers in a make-shift, field-expedient chow line--the troops file past with open mess kits, and the cooks serve it up with ladles and ice cream scoopers. ...

B-Rats all day, 29 palms 11th marines WORD
Originally posted by KaBar2@Feb 27 2006, 12:29 AM

Stretch and I tried to post it using different approaches for about an hour, then we got disgusted and went to buy more beer. For some reason it won't let us post the picture. I think it's too big for the allowable size on 12 Oz. Allowable size is something like 3 mB and this picture is over 10. I think I added some screwing around trying to blur out my face just enough to make it hard to tell who it is.

So Pfffft--send me the instructions for posting pics on this sonofabitch and I'll try to get it to fly.

BTW, the fiber optic cable company brought a crew through laying cable, and they bulldozed a fucking freeway through the brush RIGHT NEXT to the jungle. Missed the hooch by maybe twenty feet! Plus there has obviously been a few shitheels crashing at the Hilton, and what a bunch of disgusting pigs. Stretch and I have been piling up garbage and trying to straighten it up all day. Some idiot scrapping out a reel of copper wire left ten tons of plastic insulation all over the place. Scumbag behavior. I hate streamliners, especially thoughtless, don't-give-a-shit, entitled dickhead streamliners.

Gotta go to work tommorrow, so I'm out of here. Sure was a fun weekend.

wow..people not giving a shit.

the worst part is that they take pride in that too because the feel if the y are saying "fuck society" then fuck it ALL, even the people who have provided them with a rest. it will come back to haunt them when they get in to a situation they cant handle.

i use a free photo host on the web that i upload my pictures to and it gives me a web address that i post in the comment box..but that requires signing up and making an account..it IS the easiest way to post pictures on here..so if you want to take the time to sign up and upload your photos..

heres a good place to start..

www.photobucket.com

Bonefabric--

Brotha'reen, props to the 11th Marines, as fine a bunch of cannon cockers as ever I met.

2/1 got invited to come down to tip a few for the Marine Corps Birthday in 1977, hosted by the 11th Marines. We had a great time. I was especially impressed by the hard corps boys that brought hooks from O-side as dates! Nothing like a sure thing on prom night, eh?

The 11th Marines were billeted at Camp Pulgas, on board Camp Pendleton, back then.

We had a grand time at the Marine Corps Birthday Ball. Everybody wore Alphas or Blues. They had a splendid color guard, and a small Marine Corps Band detachment (eight musics and a drum major, as I recall). The brass and the senior NCO's got royally shitfaced up at the head table, and we had several great fights over girls down in the ranks. We left just as the MP's and the Area Guard arrived, just barely able to drive and all smoking cigars and drinking brandy. It was a great Birthday. Semper FI! I miss those days sometimes, and the guys in my platoon. The boys called me "Grandpa" behind my back. I was twenty-seven.

Originally posted by riggidyrags@Mar 8 2006, 06:20 PM

KaBar do you know how one would go about hopping a train in boling green kentucky and taking it to springfield Missouri? or vice versa

First of all, I have very little knowledge of the rails in Kentucky. I've never actually done this, but here's what I think.

First of all, from Bowling Green, the logical catch is south, to Nashville on the CSX. Be wary of the switch at Memphis Jct. You want to go south (left) to Franklin, not west to Guthrie. Ask in the yard at Bowling Green which train goes to Nashville or Memphis. You might be able to catch straight through to Memphis, I don't know.

When you get to Memphis, you need to switch to the Burlington Northern Santa Fe. Tennesee Yard is about 12 miles southeast of downtown, in a suburb called "Capleville". You can catch the #10 bus from the MATA bus terminal at the intersection of Auction St. and Manning St. in DT Memphis. Ask at the bus station, but I think it's the #10 bus (that's what the crew change guide suggests.) Get off at the corner of Raines St. and Chrysler Drive. You are near Chrysler Motor Parts on the south side and Caterpillar on the north. Turn south on Chrysler, go a half-mile to the end of drive, then continue directly on across a grassy field 500 feet to Tennesee Yard. The Departure Yard is across several sets of "dead" tracks.

You are looking for a northbound to Springfield. WATCH YOUR ASS in Springfield, the BNSF employees there are reportedly "by-the-book" and will report you to the bull. The yard is northwest of the downtown area, west of Kansas Trafficway, between Florida St. and Division st. The mainline is on the south side of the yard.

That's all the information I have. I don't need to tell you (I hope) to WATCH YOUR ASS in Nashville and especially in Memphis. I know very veteran train riders who will go a week out of their way to avoid Memphis. Travel light. Take plenty of water, and because a lot of these yards are out in the sticks, take food that doesn't need to be cooked and won't spoil. Be prepared to run like a deer at a moment's notice.

You may get out there and find out my directions are full of shit. Like I said, I've never made this run before.

KABAR U ARE THE MAN. YOU HAVE THE SPRINGFIELD YARD DOWN TO THE TEE. SPENT 3 MINIUTES IN THE YARD TO CATCH A FLICK . WHEN I WAS CROSSING BACK OVER A TRAIN, A WORKER SPEED BY ON A 4X4 LOOKIN FOR MY ASS. GOT OUT OF THERE ALLRIGHT THOUGH.

I HAVE NEVER MADE A LONG RUN BEFORE. SO I DONT KNOW IF THIS IS THE ONE I WANT TO START WITH. THANKS FOR THE HELP THOUGH.

West of Clinton, Iowa AUG 2005

Here's that shot of me on the UP Superhighway in a autorack. Stretch snapped the pic. Burl is asleep on the deck, and this train was HAULIN' ASS.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e280/KaBar2/IMG00025.jpg

This is a shot of me that Stretch took of me in the late afternoon somewhere north of Kansas City. We were in a KCS boxcar and again, that train was haulin' azz. Note the gloves.

Kabar,

Man your stories and knowledge are great. You gotta keep this thread up. It was my first time reading and I've been engulfed through the whole 17 pages. Anyway, you know anything about the southwest and the system down here? If so, I would like to ask you some specifics.

Thanks!

Boys, this is the first post on my brand-new computer. Stretch is the consummate computer jock, and we took an old ATX case and went down to Fry's Electronics and bought a new Gigabyte motherboard, a GB of RAM (two 512s), ADM 3200 processor, ATI 9600XT video card, 200 gig Maxtor hard drive, and "more to come." My goal is to eventually build this bad boy into a PC-based video editing platform. I spent $662 on it, but man, it runs like a scalded cat. It's ten times the computer that my old one is. I only had 128MB of RAM on my old one. It was slow as mollases at Christmas.

We've been talking about building a computer for a couple of years. It took me a while to raise the money. NO DEBT. Awesome.

To answer your questions, the railroad bulls in northern Iowa were out in full force during the time before and after the Convention. We had one person actually ride a train into the Convention (Stray Cat Julie from Quebec---very attractive and a damn good trainhopper) and Stretch rode into Mason City, and then later Tanner City Kid. But it wasn't because the cops were cooperating, it was because the trainhoppers were slicker than owl shit, and managed to elude them.

Stretch and I rode OUT of Mason City, after the Convention (the heat was off, we waited a couple of days) and so did Julie and also Captain Dingo the Airborne Hobo. But the vast majority of people who attend the Convention drive into Britt in cars, vans or pick-up trucks with a camper shell.

Dukecity, fire way, I'll do my best.

Burlinton asleep on autorack next to KaBar's ALICE pack, AUG 2005

Here's another EBD autorack shot from our August 2005 ride down from Mason City, Iowa to Shreveport, Louisiana. This is east of Boone IA, near Clinton, IA.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e280/KaBar2/IMG00029.jpg

Here's a shot of Stretch cooking chow in Heavener OK on his MSR Whisperlite International backpacking stove. That is one cool little stove, it really puts out the BTU's AUG 2005

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e280/KaBar2/IMG00031.jpg

It was an incredibly hot day. We had been drinking beer all morning (note the can of 3.2 Oklahoma horse piss) and I was just about to fucking pass out, waiting for chow to finish cooking. We would not normally sit this close to the rails under any circumstances, but it was a KILLER HOT DAY, and this was the only shade for a long way. We are crashed out next to a sidetrack. The Heavener mainline was about fifty feet to the right. AUG 2005