Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KaBar

Hobos, Tramps and Homeless Bums

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

how about some flicks of the KABAR and his jungle..

to get this thing going again..

here are a few flicks from a summer trip to houston.

21843511_71a1544e22.jpg

THIS IS WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE WHEN WE FIRST WALKED UP, WHO EVER WAS THERE BEFORE DIDNT CLEAN UP AFTER THEMSELVES AND MADE A SMALL MESS OF THE CAMP.

21843510_5b756bc24e_o.jpg

KABAR CLEANING UP, BURNING TRASH, NOTE THE "FRISCO CIRCLE"

21843513_c124ceecf1_o.jpg

21843512_fb262010c7_o.jpg

A NOTE OF SUGGESTIONS AND ADVICE FOR TRAMPS AND RAILRIDERS LEFT AT CAMP

74091297_7ea7fb98cd_o.jpg

74091304_6c3559374b_o.jpg

21844601_34d74bcc31_o.jpg

A LITTLE STREAK SESSION

74093008_63822461b0_o.jpg

WALKING TO AN AREA THAT USE TO BE THE LOCATION OF A JUNGLE NEAR

THE T & N.O. JUNCTION, WHERE KABAR CAUGHT HIS FIRST EVER HOP OUT TO THE COAST OF TX.

21844604_5d00dac91c_o.jpg

what a great HOT day that was, a great experience, hope to meet you again one day KABAR.

enjoy the flicks!

Pfffffffffft---

Thanks for sharing the pics, and for maintaining good security like we agreed on. And you're right, that WAS a hot day! I heard from Stretch. He was up in Massachusetts and was headed to Cleveland and then probably will work his way back down to Houston. One of the first things we will need to do is put a decent roof on the hooch, like a regular gable roof--2x4 rafters, decked with plywood and shingled or covered with roll roofing paper.

hey kabar,

i was just wondering what you use to do writes on trains?,

i knoiw you dont use meanstreaks i use to but stealing them is risky ive been chased countless times stealing em.....

so im wondering 1.what you use and 2. if its cheaper or easier to steal...

i dont think kabar is the authority on whether meanstreaks are easy to steal or not

but for all i know he has caches of meanstreaks buried around the houston area.

I use a white or yellow construction crayon, usually. And it is definately easier to just buy them than to deal with the fallout from stealing. I am pretty much against stealing anything whatsoever.

Caching streaking crayons...Hmmm.

Yeah, I guess they do, but I've never seen a railcar that I streaked again, so I have no idea how much it fades or how long it takes. What difference does it make? I used to use soapstone. It probably only lasts a few months.

Man, when I was a teenager, and I used to be in my going out bombing/painting every single night mode.I was a real knucklehead

back then. Pretty much no sense, except a little knowledge of how to get up, steal some paint,food,liquor etc., bust a move on a lady or 2,

How to get some money (without getting a job, becuase graff writing was pretty much a full time job for me, then) Anyway, I figured, If my life doesn't amount to much (when I say"doesn't amount to much" I meant , you know...how people expect you to be, like steady job, married , kids etc.) Anyway, i figured I could always be a hobo and just paint freights full time because hobos (as I saw it) are underrated. I mean, they travel the country, see the beautiful countryside, it's like being a rock star, well, uh, minus the girls and the fame and the drugs, well maybe theres drugs and hobo groupies, ...Kabar are there hobo groupies??...ok , well , then theres the hobo streaks thing for the fame, well then, Yeah, it's pretty much like being a rock star, except a hobo's stretch limo is longer than a rock star's

Well, anyway, I ended up with the wife, the kids and a steady job. And I actually get paid to write graffiti on things. It worked out ok, although I do fantasize about doing the hobo thing for a while.

Well, if there are any hobo groupies, I never met any. It's not a lifestyle that attracts very many women, although there are a few. Most of the women I've met trainhopping tended to be either traveling with their boyfriend, or pretty unusual adventurous types. Probably for every genuine rail-riding woman there are fifty guys.

The most impressive female railriders I've met recently have been Jenny (she rides with Dritz) and Stray Cat Julie from Canada. Both of these women are straight up, good looking trainhoppers who don't hesitate a minute to catch out wherever they have a mind to go. They are both very experienced, long-time riders. Jenny has about six years now, and I think Julie told me she started catching out about eight years ago. They are both very knowledgeable and skilled, and they can pretty much handle anything that happens.

Dawood, I can't think of too many reasons to not go ride a few trains, unless the demands of family and work just completely prohibit it. I warn you right now, though, sometimes if you start riding trains you can't stop. It's sort of addictive. Connecticut Shorty says "My Dad always used to say once you've pissed out of an open boxcar door at fifty miles an hour, you're hooked for life."

Originally posted by KaBar2@Dec 29 2005, 02:16 AM

"My Dad always used to say once you've pissed out of an open boxcar door at fifty miles an hour, you're hooked for life."

hahaha.

Originally posted by Pfffffffffft+Dec 30 2005, 08:00 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pfffffffffft - Dec 30 2005, 08:00 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-KaBar2@Dec 29 2005, 02:16 AM

"My Dad always used to say once you've pissed out of an open boxcar door at fifty miles an hour, you're hooked for life."

hahaha.

[/b]

I second that laugh...

aww man one time i pissed off of a piggy back.. the flat beds with no cables.. nothing to hold onto.. we got stuck riding that bitch by accident.. and pissing off that at fifty miles an hour is fucking scary..

i have a question. im dont know much about trains compared to alot of you. but along the tracks you will see those lights that are either red, yellow, or green. now what exactly do these mean. at switch lines, and the light is red, does this mean that the train is going to stop. and if it is yellow does that mean its going to go through slow. and of course green meaning it will keep going. id like to know cause i kinda get tired of waiting for a train at the switch up not knowing if its gonna stop or not.

Wase--

This subject is covered up the stack somewhere, and there is a link to a pretty good explanation of how signals work. Just scan the stack. Or just read the whole thing, whatever. I enjoyed writing it all down. I hope you guys enjoy reading it as much as I did writing it.

yeah this is pretty much the dopest thread on here. i just havent had time to read it all. thanks though peaceee

riding the rails would be an experience. the only times i've hopped trains was when i was getting chased out of the yards and hopping the train seemed like the best mode to get away. well the train didnt stop until i got to wisconsin and i called my cuz'n to come pick me up from whatever small ass town i was in. i didnt sleep at all the whole time cuz i was to afraid somthing was gonna happen, but watching the sun come up over the forest made it worth it

peace

ya know, if someone turned this thread into a book, id buy i, and fully enjoy reading it!

kabars the maaan.

Uber Respect.

I heard from Stretch--he and Burlington Dog are in Jackson, Mississippi. He's trying to get a job working for Casey Jones' Village, but the job doesn't start until May, when tourist season open.

You know, I NEVER thought of Mississippi as being a "tramp friendly" place, but it sure seems to be less hassle than a lot of the traditional hobo territory like Montana or Wyoming. It's funny how one's perceptions of a place can be colored by prejudicial stories in the newspaper and so on. Being raised in the 1960's, with all the mean-ass redneck behavior from the cops in the South, I always considered it to be very dangerous, hostile territory. Not any more, apparently.

BTW, anybody who lives down near Mississippi, there will be a big hobo gathering in Amory MS in April. Check out the dates on Fran's Hobo Grapevine.

seriously, dont let this thread die. so informative yet so interesting. kabar thanks for the time and energy you put into this, its really had an impact on me (and i think a lot of other people) and i realize it takes a lot of time.

respect