Hobos, Tramps and Homeless Bums

KaBar

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Rode the absolute slowest train ever. Figured it was wb turned out to be sb probably to mexico. Ended up back in san anto which is basically where i started. I dont think it ever hit 50mph slowest ds train everrrrrrrr...maybe 30 hrs from pine bluff-sa. RIDICULOUSO. Last time i caught a sb to houston outta therr it took maybe 12. Motherfuckin snail trail!

WHAT A COUPLE OF FUCKING MORONS.

He should have just waited for the train to pass over him. Going out between moving trucks (the assembly with the wheels under it) was galactically STUPID. As long as he wasn't hit by dragging gear, he would have been relatively safe.

WHAT A COUPLE OF FUCKING MORONS. NEVER DO THIS.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not know a single trainhopper that uses heroin. What kind of bullshit is this, anyway? Anybody caught with heroin is going to prison for a serious sentence. If you are travelling with somebody hooked on this shit you are taking a bigtime risk. If the cops have enough dope to charge him, there might be enough to split and charge you too.

"Oh, the police would never do that, falsify evidence."

Really? Are you sure? 'Cause in my experience, uh, yeah, they do.

Heroin addict? As a road dog? Absolutely fucking NEVER GONNA HAPPEN.

Ditto for any other hard drug. Marijuana, okay maybe. But cocaine, or any of that other shit? No fuckin' way.

"I don't judge." You gotta be kidding me. What a moron.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

K-Bar up at Britt cooking Pizza Soup

HOLY SHIT, what a big, fat tub of lard I am! I found this video by accident on YouTube. What a disgusting fatbody. This video guy was bugging me to show him about pizza soup. I had mentioned it, and he just insisted, so I did it. It was pretty tongue-in-cheek, but I didn't think it ever actually was put on YouTube or anything.

So here you go, the Hobo Convention up at Britt, Iowa. It was several years ago. I'm probably a bigger tub 'o lard now than I was then. ("Does this tee shirt make me look fat?") Jesus. They say the camera adds ten pounds. In my case it must have added eighty.

I know pretty much everybody in this video.

That is not the voice I hear when I read your posts. I hear it in a much more southern accent.

Though I will now read them in a more Jabba the Hut accent :)

Have you ever ran? Do they actually wear the crown on the road? Is the same crown handed down to the next king or do they make a new one every year? If they make a new one, is it still Folgers and plastic?

I really need to make it one year just to go.

I know that it sure don't look like it, but when I got out of the Marine Corps in 1981, I was lean and mean, Xen. I must have run ten thousand miles in the Corps, and probably half of them wearing a flak jacket. I weighed 185 pounds when I got out and there was very little blubber, if any. We went running every day at lunch and worked out with free weights every night. Now I weigh about 265, and I definitely need to lose weight. Wow. What a lard ass.

I chalk it up to three things--one, Zoloft. I started taking Zoloft when my mother passed away in 2003, and I took it for about ten years. Zoloft can make you gain weight, but it's just one element. It helped with the depression, certainly, but it has its drawbacks too.

The second thing is (I hate to admit this) the internet. The net is interesting and leads one to a sedentary lifestyle. I'd rather surf the net than exercise, and you can see for yourself where such laziness leads to.

The third thing is my work. The nature of my work is very low impact in terms of exercise.

The last time I caught out with Stretch I lost thirty pounds. Maybe it's time to retire and go ride a few trains!

Homemade banjos

I think I've mentioned my interest in homemade musical instruments on here before. I've made about ten homemade banjos out of stuff I found. A lot of the wood I got from what I call "curbside couches," abandoned furniture that people throw away.

Building homemade, "found object" banjos got to be a sort of a hobby, and I set myself some rules. I could use anything I found on the street or in a dumpster. I could use anything I could buy in a hardware store, and I could use strings and tuners from any source. As time went on, I scored a violin peg shaper from a dumpster behind a violin store in west Houston, and later I bought a violin peg reamer (to ream the holes the pegs fit into.) I tried various things for frets, including finishing nails, copper wire and the stiffeners out of discarded windshield wiper blades. None of those things worked satisfactorily, so I went to a music store that a high-school buddy owns, and he gave me some banjo fret wire just for the hell of it, and also gave me permission to dumpster dive their dumpster anytime I want.

Obviously, I can afford to buy a banjo anytime I want, but the fun part of building them from junk is looking for the needed parts and pieces. I built a couple using the rawhide from large "dog chews" I bought at the grocery store for the banjo head. Worked pretty well, too. (To make a dog chew, they take a piece of rawhide about eight by twelve inches and roll it into a sort of cigar shape, then tie a knot or two in it. Soak it in water, and presto--you can untie it.)

Anyway, below is a video from a good ol' boy from Indiana named Bill Withers who makes his own instruments, and plays pretty well, too. He plays "clawhammer style" in this video, but I think he also plays three-finger Monroe style. ( Clawhammer is appropriate for a fretless banjo.) "OLD SCHOOL."

Same guy, with his homemade frettless banjo made from a salad bowl from Goodwill and cherry wood from his dad's corn crib.

Here's the same guy with his homemade "lap steel" guitar.

Damn, I like this guy. "Lean On Me, " on an Epiphone ulelele. Wow.

More homemade banjo stuff. This guy plays "Julianne Johnson" clawhammer style on his fretless Appalachian banjo.

Here's the same guy, playing "Walk Right In" on a six-string guitar made from a gas can.

"Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down" on a three string, cigar-box guitar tuned D-A-d. Awesome!

"Here Comes the Sun" on a short-scale, home-made six-string, cigar box guitar.

"Angel From Montgomery" on a home-made, cookie-tin banjo.

"Cold Frosty Morning" on a home-made, cigar box fiddle.

"When the Roll is Called Up Yonder" on a cigar-box mandolin. Awesome!

I don't know what they call this kind of music--some kind of retro-Gay Ninties/ Roaring Twenties music. It reminds me of the band Old Crow Medicine Show.

Garbage Man Blues (awesome)

Anyway, this guy's name is Pokey Lafarge and his band plays some cool old blues music.

The La La Blues

In the Jailhouse Now

Also Dom Flemons. The guy is phenomenal on the tenor banjo. He was in a band called the Carolina Chocolate Drops that played music from the Piedmont region of North Carolina.

Going Back to Arkansas

Your Baby Ain't Sweet Like Mine

Pretty Girl With A Blue Dress On

San Francisco Baby

Xen--

I missed answering a couple of your questions. No, the people who get crowned Hobo King and Queen do not keep the crown. The crowns are pretty old, they were made for the election of the King and Queen years ago and they don't travel well. They are kept in the Hobo Museum in Britt. Frankly, they are pretty cheesy and should have been replaced with something better years ago. I've seen photographs of the King and Queen taken in the 1930's and it looks to me that they were wearing cardboard "crowns" covered with aluminum foil or something.

Several "traditions" up at Britt were invented in the 1980's by a couple of old timers--Steamtrain Maury Graham and Fry Pan Jack, I think. The Hobo Convention didn't have much in the way of activities for tourists to observe. Tourists mean money. Money means the Convention has a reason to continue. Steamtrain convinced the town fathers to create the Hobo Museum. He also "invented" the Hobo Shuffle and all the rest of the "traditions" (like the Four Winds thing) that have become much beloved antics by people who regularly go to the convention. I got dubbed a Crown Prince of the Hobos once because I served as crumb boss. I didn't seek it out, but I didn't want to refuse and embarrass everybody so I went along with it. It's kind of silly stuff, sort of like Boy Scout ceremonies or King Neptune celebrations when a ship passes over the Equator. The tourists love that kind of stuff. I guess they think they are seeing "real hobo culture" I don't know. It kind of reminds me of Mardi Gras parades or the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo--a lot of corn for tourist dollars.

The West Coast Hobo Gathering is a lot realer, but it has it's drawbacks too.

It embarrasses me that the same town that brags about hosting the National Hobo Convention won't let tramps drink in camp or let hobo dogs run loose. They want the tramps to be picturesque and be pleasant to tourists who are sometimes pretty rude. Still, it's the only Convention we've got.

• 2 weeks later...

I figured it was nothing but a giant jar of Cheez Whiz conjured up for tourists but still, I want to make it one year just because from the time I first found this thread to the first time I climbed on a train, I said I'd go one year.

Those banjos rule.

Train Doc looks nothing like I thought he would either. Nothing