Hobos, Tramps and Homeless Bums

KaBar

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Ran into a worker he was cool told us all the lines here lead to Chicago just waiting on a good one to roll up been here 3 days just trying to get out of here if we don't leave tonight I'll take that commute

Does it cost any money? We just been trying to get out of here for awhile used all our paint in the last town we were in just been catch marker tags..... Stole a bunch of food last night cooked some hotdogs and bacon so good...... At least we're not starving poured on us last night seeked shelter in a grocery store underground stocking room haha so much rat poop....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well shit the bed, Kabar is still around \m/

I just fucked around and ignored every piece of solid advice given in this thread except one

If you want to hop a train, hop a train

I've been a home bum for, shit, maybe 5 years now, (not implying I was a full time tramp but the several thousand miles I roamed makes me think I was) walking the straight and narrow and ignoring the call of the wild trying to keep the ball and chain happy. That didn't work out so good and out the door I went. I have always kept my pack ready to go at any given moment, ya know, just in case, and within 6 hours the last few years became meaningless and my pack became necessary.

I had it stashed out under my favorite bridge for when either the place I was crashing at got tired of me or vice versa. I had a few drinks in me and was on my way to a sweet squat I'd found when an empty southbound coal train stopped to let a IM/DS pass. I had big plans on running down to get on the rear unit when it aired up. I climbed up on that bitch and it started pulling out when I had 3 rungs left to climb. I threw my shit in and busted my ass throwing myself inside.

I didn't realize I was dead until I came alive, sitting on the cross bar and feeling the wind in my hair on a perfect late fall night with the stars and the scenery and everything was OK until I realized I was wearing loose fitting clothes, had no water, just a half drank fifth, only a vague idea where I was going, and needed to do more push ups cuz I killed myself trying to swing my dumb ass back up on that cross bar.

Long story short: 2 stolen pairs of pants and a stolen gallon of Orange Drink later, I made it back to familiar territory and can't wait to do it again.

*edit When I left the crashing spot, I had no plans at all about hopping a train. Strictly spontaneous choice

*edit2 Thanks Memphis bums. You know what I mean.

• 3 weeks later...

That you are a fucking nut case, Boxcarro, and everybody on here knows it. But WTF, since it is unimportant and somehow uncool to call a nut case a nut case, just carry on with the insane-o posts of wacky gibberish. I've heard from several people that they're like to see you blocked or banned, but I can't see any more reason to ban you than any of the other wack jobs that periodically land on here. You are intitled to be just as fucking crazy as you please, but if you wandered into my jungle, I'd give you a match and tell you to move on.

Clear enough for you?

Stoked to be celebrating my one year anniversary of hitting the road. Know its not a big deal to all you 5yr+ kids, but its important to me none the less.

Tried to celebrate by joining the navy to see all kinds of new frontiers from the right side of a gun, but apparently you can't enlist with active warrants :lol:

I think that whats holding more people back from traveling the rails and the roads is the call of nature as in where do I go to the bathroom? I would like to see more kids travel and learn about there world but very few that I know of have even the most basic survival skills. The boy scouts closed down at my church do to a lack of interest.

Boston area...I just thought I chime in here as a railfan.Most freight rail traffic has left Boston and the inner burbs as the property taxes have made it hard for to keep industry and railroad yards. Cambridge and the Near North Side and even Lowell and Lawrence have become high rent districts.

CSX Cambridge ex Conrail Yard is being downgraded to a local yard only. Only locals will serve that yard and maybe a garbarge Train. Worcester via MBTA is the way out on CSX with piggybacks leaving in the evening on the far tracks at the restored station. The other alternative is Ayer Mass on the MBTA trains out of North Station. Ayer is a little town that is way more laid back then urban gritty Worcester. Ayer is Boston and Main/Guilford/Pan Am/Norfolk Southern/CSX local to Selkirk that is a WYE shaped yard with trains being built on all legs of the WYE. Trains from here go to Deerfield/Greenfield MA then to Adams MA(Appalachain Trail) Mechanicsburg NY then to Binghamton NY then to either Scranton or Buffalo. This route was known as the Alphabet Route and is a nice slow scenic route. MBTA fares depend on rush hour and run from 7.00 to 12.00

• Like 1

New England Rail Fan--

If you read this thread from the start, a lot of questions will be answered, and it will save everybody a lot of typing. To answer your question, taking a dump on the rails is pretty much like taking a dump anywhere else when you're out camping. If you are in a populated area with gas stations or McDonald's, use their bathrooms If you're out in the boondocks, find a secluded spot, dig a cat hole with your boot heel, get out your toilet paper (ALWAYS carry toilet paper) and drop trou. When you're finished, drop the paper in on top of the crap and cover the hole back up.

On board a train, crap onto a piece of cardboard or into a plastic bag and heave it off the train in a remote spot.

If you just need to piss, outdoors just pee on a tree. On a train (like maybe a grainer), hang onto a stanchion and pee off the side of the car.

I've heard it said that once you've pissed out the door of a boxcar at night you are hooked for life. This may be true, but be damned sure you hang onto something so you don't fall out.

Avoid pissing or shitting in the corners of boxcars or gondola cars. People have a tendency to "hide" in those corners to avoid being spotted.

In spite of all your Bull Shit, I am totally fine with My Own History as a Freight Train Rider, and a Great Many others who Knew Me recollect me with Respect. I finally turned 64 Years of Age, got Social Security, and am now in a Seniors Supportive Housing. I get Meals - On- Wheels, Sweet Lttle Old Ladies come in to help me Keep my Apartment clean, I play my Jazz-Folk in different Venues around the Bay Area, and Fuck with Peter Eaters like you to Keep the Shit Stirrers Excited. Your problems are you Stupidity. You are a uneducated self aggrandiser, in your mind you are a Great Feller, but in Reality, your just another Fart Smeller.

I hate to quote on this, but Kabar has done a lot for many in terms of keeping (potential and uninformed) riders safe. I remember once several years ago printing out every page of this thread and reading it start to finish. Certainly schooled me on a lot of things.

Anyway, the reason I came out here was to see if anyone felt like sharing a 2010 CC guide, or at least tell me if one from 2006 is out-dated. I've hitch-hiked and rode freights through a dozen or so states, but I'd never really messed with the CC. Now I've happened upon an old one and wonder if it's worth it. Either that or if anyone's ever caught out of SF area heading East could PM/email me some info that'd be pretty spectacular. I'm headed to TN and trying to take a southern route. I figure anything above OK, TX, AZ is going to be too cold. If you like, you can follow my trip so far in this thread.

Thanks for all the years of entertainment and info, Kabar, and everyone else in the thread. Hollar

You Dumb CRacker. Haw Haw, Puto

Thanks. Keep in mind it can get pretty fucking chilly in the desert at night. Also really dark. Make sure to have a light or else you'l be choosing really dumb camping spots/taking forever to get your shit set up. Made that mistake.

Just the lines in the desert near the mexico border. Too risky.

I've heard a lot of bad things about it, from people I've run into on the road. Enough people tell me the stove is hot, I sure as fuck am not going to put my hand on it.

always has been less than perfect. but its fine.its like riding through havre. good chance youre gonna have trouble but not necessarily. ive been pulled off by bp once. and got a ticket once. out of i dont know how many trips back and forth from tx-cali. it can be a little hassle but if i was going somewhere south/east-ish from cali i wouldnt hesitate to jump on a train east out of colton. and im a pretty cautious feller.

im wondering how the new intermodal facility up is building is gonna affect things. gonna be awhile till thats an issue but i wonder.

always has been less than perfect. but its fine.its like riding through havre. good chance youre gonna have trouble but not necessarily. ive been pulled off by bp once. and got a ticket once. out of i dont know how many trips back and forth from tx-cali. it can be a little hassle but if i was going somewhere south/east-ish from cali i wouldnt hesitate to jump on a train east out of colton. and im a pretty cautious feller.

im wondering how the new intermodal facility up is building is gonna affect things. gonna be awhile till thats an issue but i wonder.

oddly enough, the only time I've been pulled off by non railroad employees was in atlanta. some cunt called 911 when they saw me asleep on a grainer porch :lol:

i've never had the desire to go to that part of the country, and if i'm riding past ogden i try and call em in so i dont wind up down there accidentally, so im not concerned.

wheres the facility supposed to be? news to me.

oddly enough, the only time I've been pulled off by non railroad employees was in atlanta. some cunt called 911 when they saw me asleep on a grainer porch :lol:

i've never had the desire to go to that part of the country, and if i'm riding past ogden i try and call em in so i dont wind up down there accidentally, so im not concerned.

wheres the facility supposed to be? news to me.

santa teresa nm.

• 2 weeks later...